Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anti-vaxxers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,250 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Social media is a breeding ground for these lunatics spreading their hear say and lies. Ignorant people then believing it :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

steddyeddy wrote: »
    It's not a matter of reading papers. There's certainly medics who knowingly prescribe useless antibiotics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/11042482/Nearly-half-of-GPs-admit-prescribing-useless-antibiotics.html

It says fairly early on that it's to satisfy patients who insist on being given some sort of medication.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

arayess wrote: »
    It's kinda worrying that you think that....further worrying is your implication that the average person can;'t challenge medical opinion because they don't have the degree etc..
    medical opinion isn't infallible at all.

Exvept you kinda need to have some kind of real medical knowledge to challenge medical opinion the makey up anti vaxxer fake science garbage doesnt count.

Its kind of worrying you cant aee that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's kinda worrying that you think that....further worrying is your implication that the average person can;'t challenge medical opinion because they don't have the degree etc..
    medical opinion isn't infallible at all.

Challenging medical opinion isn't an issue at all. Anti-vaxxers don't do that though. They just dismiss it outright so they can satisfy their inner crusaders to feed their perverse narcissism. They'll dismiss vaccines as means for Big Pharma to make profit while warmly embracing Dr. Andrew Wakefield who has only their best interests at heart despite living in a lavish mansion in Texas and who enjoys the support of the most powerful man in the world.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I know people who have lost most of their hearing because of preventable diseases, and another who lost their sight. I've had measles. It wasn't pleasant.

The difference between a cold and flu is that with proper flu at some point the thought that you might not make it will cross your mind.

The only possible times it could ever be safer not to vaccinate is when there is no threat or when the herd immunity protects you.

In Europe neither conditions apply any more.

Even worse there are some diseases that could be eradicated forever if one generation vaccinated. We were that close to wiping out polio, at best it'll take years more.

• Advertisement

mezzz wrote: »
    i was anti-vaxxer myself,

but when my daughter was born i decided to trust the hospital,
    worked out well so far but if knew then what i know now i would have stuck with anti-vax

So you were against the science...but used the science...and the science worked out...but next time you're definitely against the science.

This needs a lot more explanation...because otherwise it runs against every idea of logic and rationality...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It says fairly early on that it's to satisfy patients who insist on being given some sort of medication.

But who cares what they insist on? It's too serious a problem to give into what patients want. Give them sugar pills if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

What gets me on these FB anti-vax articles is the comments sections. In response to questions re if they're happy for their kid to be fighting off mumps, german-measles, rubella, small-pox, etc, etc. Anti-vaxxers will often answer no - and argue the odds against their kid catching such a disease...essentially relying on herd immunity and everyone else puting THEIR kids at whatever risks anti-vaxxers refuse to entertain to ensure their kid doesn't come into contact with these hideous diseases.

I have a sneaking suspicion if everyone ditched vaccinations tomorrow and the pediatric mortality rate was to sky-rocket thanks to whopping cough, polio and diphtheria making a huge resurgence, these anti-vaxxers would start chanting a different tune. It's just the epitome of self-interest. :(

steddyeddy wrote: »
    But who cares what they insist on? It's too serious a problem to give into what patients want. Give thwm sugar pills if that's the case.

What an absurd thing to say. People have a right to know what's going into their bodies and they pay for GP appointments, meaning that the GP has a responsibility to them.

H. H. Asquith

What an absurd thing to say. People have a right to know what's going into their bodies and they pay for GP appointments, meaning that the GP has a responsibility to them.

Absurd as opposed to giving patients medication they don't need because they ask for it?

• Advertisement

I might seem like I'm targetting doctors, but I think both the public and the experts have a role in vaccinations and antibiotic resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Hellywelly

My son caught whooping cough despite being vaccinated. Doctor said this can happen & that he had a mild dose of it. He was frighteningly sick with it. I cannot imagine what it would have been like if he had gotten a not so mild dose and after seeing and hearing how awful it is as a disease I can't comprehend anyone not vaccinating their child against it.
    I'm alll for choice but not when ill informed decisions can compromise public health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."

Anti vaccination advocates are victims of poor educations. The ultimate result being profound ignorance.

They seem to be linked with pro life groups in Ireland ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I know a few anti vaxers, the same few have views on Monsanto /coca cola etc

A few of them have what I consider poor levels of education, ie home schooled (their parents were hippies)

The others. ... I honestly believe that they have either mental deficiencies or are easily lead by the fantastic.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."

Anti vaccination advocates are victims of poor educations. The ultimate result being profound ignorance.

They seem to be linked with pro life groups in Ireland ironically.

I wish that were the case. Andrew Wakefield, privately educated, medically trained but thick as two short planks is behind the anti-vaccination movement. I would put it down to stupidity rather than education.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Down with vaccines!

iron-lung-17.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I refuse to have my dogs vaccinated because I don't want them to be autistic.

FACT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Ah come on, they are in a far better position to process and understand the information about the research and implications than the average Google expert.

It's kinda worrying that you don't appreciate that. Further worrying is that you equate the abilities of both. Expertise acquire by Google with no ability to really understand the information is incredibly fallible.

are they?
    They get their degree spend a few years jobbing about and maybe upskill.
    After that unless you are driven there is no obligation for refreshing your knowledge.
    They consult the latest edition of MIMS to determine the medication and "next patient!"

Oddly you leave out the fact that some of the initial sources of the anti vax arguments found on google is made by well ....other doctors
    They may be quacks or not....but they are doctors some of them with degrees and qualification galore...

VinLieger wrote: »
    Exvept you kinda need to have some kind of real medical knowledge to challenge medical opinion the makey up anti vaxxer fake science garbage doesnt count.

Its kind of worrying you cant aee that

This isn't true. There is some makey up anti vax stuff by blow hards I'll grant you that. But equally you have many people with no science background defending vaccinations to the hilt raging online about anti vaxxers and in reality they themselves haven't a rashers...

sometimes common sense should prevail - take for example.
    The bird flu vaccinate that was issues out.. I had an opinion that it was developed and tested in too short a space of time.
    Medical opinion told me it was safe. But how do they know? How does the people in the school telling me it's safe know? They are only getting teh details of other...repeating the mantra. Sometimes this mantra comes directly from the manufacturers themselves...like ffs.
    I had doubts.....out of good conscience I refused permission for my son to get it.

sometimes keeping your eyes open can serve you well

btw i'm not anti-vaxx Im a skeptic moreso.
    my son has had most vaccinations

I am wary of the whole process and the demand no to over ride consent and parental consent is very worrying indeed.
    It makes me question it more.

are they?
    After that unless you are driven there is no obligation for refreshing your knowledge.
    They consult the latest edition of MIMS to determine the medication and "next patient!"

Well don't rely on ignorance and stereotyping anyway. Obviously you don't know anyone who has gone to med school and qualified as a GP, if you think it's just "a degree and a bit of jobbing and upskilling".

Again, your inability to grasp why doctors, even if they don't spend years researching vaccinations, but are simply in a better position to assess and process the information, is remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I was vaccinated as a child, and I came out fine.

• Advertisement

Well don't rely on ignorance and stereotyping anyway. Obviously you don't know anyone who has gone to med school and qualified as a GP, if you think it's just "a degree and a bit of jobbing and upskilling".

Again, your inability to grasp why doctors, even if they don't spend years researching vaccinations, but are simply in a better position to assess and process the information, is remarkable.

oddly i do. I suggest your are talking out your hole.
    given the fact I referenced "mims" might be an indicator that I do know a little. you think?

unless they are involved in that area research they are just taking the offical line , they are reading the same sh8te we all are.
    If you actually read what I wrote ,,,I mean read it properly you will recall I said
    they may understand the topic better than the average punter but please don't claim they know whether a vaccine is safe any better than anybody else.

oddly i do. I suggest your are talking out your hole...

There endeth the "debate". Don't get too wound up at it all. I'm just laughing at your whole "sure medicine is just a bit of jobbing...but I said MIMS so I know this stuff" shtick.

There endeth the "debate". Don't get too wound up at it all. I'm just laughing at your whole "sure medicine is just a bit of jobbing...but I said MIMS so I know this stuff" shtick.

could be worse....
    you could write a post about "How I stood up to a man on the internet " and stick it beside the one of how you lost a friend

You two get a room! ;)

could be worse....
    you could write another post about "How I stood up to a man on the internet and lost a friend"

More and more wound up...it's delightful!

Count to ten...and relax...breath...is this the usual level of anti vaxx debate? Do they all fly off the handle about it because people laugh at the naivety of someone saying "I know as much as a doctor because I Googled some article"?

Oddly you leave out the fact that some of the initial sources of the anti vax arguments found on google is made by well ....other doctors
    They may be quacks or not....but they are doctors some of them with degrees and qualification galore...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority
    This isn't true. There is some makey up anti vax stuff by blow hards I'll grant you that. But equally you have many people with no science background defending vaccinations to the hilt raging online about anti vaxxers and in reality they themselves haven't a rashers...

Clinical trials. You can't just package a vaccine or any other medical intervention and sell it. It has to be tested for safety and efficacy. People defend vaccinations to the hilt because they're almost universally safe and effective. Granted, there are a few isolated incidents but there's no such thing as a 100% safe and effective medical product or procedure.
    I am wary of the whole process and the demand no to over ride consent and parental consent is very worrying indeed.
    It makes me question it more.

Given that pig ignorant, narcissistic parents who have no better source to derive self-worth from than feeding their own anti-corporation crusader fantasies stand to undo some of the greatest advances in medical history, no I am not one bit worried about overriding their consent. Frankly, if I had my way, every school in the country would be obligated to verify immunisaton records before admitting children.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

are they?

There is an obligation to refresh your knowledge. Minimum 50 hours a year continuous medical education in order to keep your license.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

My job requires me to be vaccinated against certain really nasty illnesses. Believe me, I take the vaccines over the risk of Hep B.

One of the biggest problems in all this is that it covers up actual potential problems with sheer hysteria. It is very difficult to investigate vaccines now because if one vaccine, no matter how little it is used, proves to actually be dangerous, it will be taken up gleefully by a horde of anti-vaxxers who will use it as a weapon to insist that no vaccines are safe.

No vaccines is not safe. God, we are not so far from the days when epidemics would sweep through a population and kill huge portions of it. Smallpox, eliminated in 1979 (more or less) due to vaccination, had already killed 300-500 million people in the 20th century. 80% of children who contracted it died. There is still no cure. That is sort of the risk that people want to take and worse, want to enforce on everyone else, despite the whole debate being very easily tracked back to a set of absolute lies.

Whooping cough, chickenpox, measles, mumps, German measles all did grave damage before being driven back by protecting individuals against contracting them as early as possible. They all sound like harmless little childhood illnesses. They're not.

Whooping cough - Extremely contagious, can last for up to ten weeks ("hundred day cough"), during which whoops can break ribs, cause breathlessness (even stop breathing temporarily in babies), rupture internal organs (seriously.) can cause fainting, vomiting and sometimes death. Vaccination is imperfect for this disease - people who are vaccinated can contract it (albeit it is more rare), but tend to get a milder dose.

Chickenpox - Extremely infectious, and more dangerous for new babies and for adults, in whom it can kill (associated risks in adults - encephalitis, pneumonia, bronchitis and hepatitis). Extremely dangerous in hospitals, so if you were too lazy to get vaccinated against it, be bloody careful about hospitals.

German measles - considered one of the lesser childhood illnesses. But it is very infectious and has a long incubation period. It was a devil in boarding schools as it could rip through the population in weeks. Rarely causes deaths, but if a pregnant woman gets exposed, the results can be devastating to her child.

We've forgotten what having these diseases endemic in our societies was like. We've forgotten that past generations rarely had a childhood in which one of their friends didn't die at some point in school years from an "innocent" childhood illness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Samaris wrote: »
    My job requires me to be vaccinated against certain really nasty illnesses. Believe me, I take the vaccines over the risk of Hep B.

One of the biggest problems in all this is that it covers up actual potential problems with sheer hysteria. It is very difficult to investigate vaccines now because if one vaccine, no matter how little it is used, proves to actually be dangerous, it will be taken up gleefully by a horde of anti-vaxxers who will use it as a weapon to insist that no vaccines are safe.

No vaccines is not safe. God, we are not so far from the days when epidemics would sweep through a population and kill huge portions of it. Smallpox, eliminated in 1979 (more or less) due to vaccination, had already killed 300-500 million people in the 20th century. 80% of children who contracted it died. There is still no cure. That is sort of the risk that people want to take and worse, want to enforce on everyone else, despite the whole debate being very easily tracked back to a set of absolute lies.

Whooping cough, chickenpox, measles, mumps, German measles all did grave damage before being driven back by protecting individuals against contracting them as early as possible. They all sound like harmless little childhood illnesses. They're not.

Whooping cough - Extremely contagious, can last for up to ten weeks ("hundred day cough"), during which whoops can break ribs, cause breathlessness (even stop breathing temporarily in babies), rupture internal organs (seriously.) can cause fainting, vomiting and sometimes death. Vaccination is imperfect for this disease - people who are vaccinated can contract it (albeit it is more rare), but tend to get a milder dose.

Chickenpox - Extremely infectious, and more dangerous for new babies and for adults, in whom it can kill (associated risks in adults - encephalitis, pneumonia, bronchitis and hepatitis). Extremely dangerous in hospitals, so if you were too lazy to get vaccinated against it, be bloody careful about hospitals.

German measles - considered one of the lesser childhood illnesses. But it is very infectious and has a long incubation period. It was a devil in boarding schools as it could rip through the population in weeks. Rarely causes deaths, but if a pregnant woman gets exposed, the results can be devastating to her child.

We've forgotten what having these diseases endemic in our societies was like. We've forgotten that past generations rarely had a childhood in which one of their friends didn't die at some point in school years from an "innocent" childhood illness.

Grew up in 70's/80's no such thing as mmr, 7 in 1 etc, neither myself or my friends died from contracting these diseases which were still endemic in Ireland.when my eldest brought home chicken pox. I made sure the rest of the kids shared their cups/baths etc. Certain diseases need to be eradicated due to globalization but not all.they act to weef out the weak and stupid.

• Advertisement

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Grew up in 70's/80's no such thing as mmr, 7 in 1 etc, neither myself or my friends died from contracting these diseases which were still endemic in Ireland.when my eldest brought home chicken pox. I made sure the rest of the kids shared their cups/baths etc. Certain diseases need to be eradicated due to globalization but not all.they act to weef out the weak and stupid.

As long as you and your mates are fine, screw everyone else. Is that it? It is nice to actually see the nastiness behind the anti-vax movement at least instead of the faux-concern which is usually on display.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement