Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Bog standard:)
    anything but!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Bog standard:)
    anything but!
    i see what you did their:pac: its getti g stained amd lacquered today and i want a little crystal drawer pull for it but not a hope im hell im queing outside woodies or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

iamtony wrote: »
    i see what you did their:pac:
    yep, he's on a roll.

yep, he's on a roll.
      he sure is. Anyway i forgive him I'm gonna WIPE the slate clean and move on.

What's with all the crap puns?

:D

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Charmin discussion in here

:pac:

I’d be keeping an open eye for any stray splinters for the first couple of rolls, that’s for sure!

xDSrZ2F

xDSrZ2F
      Finished the finish. Sorry it took so long i was bogged down with other stuff:pac:

Sorry imgur isnt working please delete empty posts i couldnt.
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/QjBH5b9rjZqGLGvz5

xDSrZ2F

• Advertisement

9FPSbZb

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

started here: first cut
      dxQYSeCl.jpg

has gone a bit further than this, lowwer shelves are on, top is made and glued.

FXrfPHMl.jpg

and eventually it is intended to be one of these. (not in cedar obviously)
      IMG_2221.thumb.jpg.f92826e7430df59de8444d7291a207e3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Looks lovely, but what is it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Barbecue table or really fancy hospital trolley would be my guesses :D

Looks well so far mossym

sorry, i thought the last pic was self explanatory. the red egg is a kamado joe, it's a ceramic grill.weighs 130kg (the grill, without the table) so it needs to be robust

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Impressive! Is that natural variation in the colour of one type of wood, or are those blocks of different woods ... or is it just stained for effect?

the last pic isn't mine, it was built by a guy in the US who works in a cedar mill so had full access to all the wood and tools he wanted. it's what i'm building mine to look like. Would love to have used cedar but wasn't really an option. had to go with what was covid-available

it's all cedar, he only finished it with a couple of coats of decking stain!!

• Administrators Posts: 53,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Jealous of both the table and your kamado!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

all well and good until you open that thing in the middle and a facehugger jumps out at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Currently going through some renovation. I was in need of new desk for home office so I've used two doors and frames and turned them into corner desk.
      Total lenth 240x80cm on shorter end 160 x 90cm.

Except for those four 6x2s everything else was recycled material. Legs came from old ikea desk that I was using before. Shelve is made from old mdf laminated board that was used as bath tub cover.

Both table tops hand planed. Rough rustic look intended.

0gK93X9l.jpg
      Few pics from the process.

ifAp0dQl.jpg
      b01kQjvl.jpg
      NcRdYJpl.jpg
      bX0JVT5l.jpg
      he8xnPml.jpg
      d0MlzWhl.jpg
      EbXVztel.jpg

• Advertisement

starting to a look a lot more like what i linked to earlier. still a fair bit of sanding/staining/sealing to do yet.

cqE5yq7l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

mossym wrote: »
      started here: first cut

Hi Mossym,

Can i ask where you got the legs? I am hoping to make a table and having trouble sourcing thicker material that isn't already pressure treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Knocked together a workbench top for my office over the last few evenings. It's going to be used as a soldering station some of the time and as my standing desk for part of each working day. I've accidentally turned into an OSB furniture hipster over the last few builds - totally unintentional!!

I've done my usual writeup so that future me can remember what the hell I did:
      https://www.chillyspoon.com/blog/2020/6/9/making-a-deskworkbench-top-for-ikea-sitstand-trestles

515895.jpg

Halycon wrote: »

Hi Mossym,

Can i ask where you got the legs? I am hoping to make a table and having trouble sourcing thicker material that isn't already pressure treated.

they were pressure treated, this table is going to live outside 365. they were newel posts for decking that i repurposed

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Halycon wrote: »
      Hi Mossym,

Hey Halycon, you should look at door framing boards. They are planed and a lot straighter than a lot of construction timber. They are usually 1½" x 4" or thereabouts. And if you need thicker you could just glue to together and then cut the lengths as you need them afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

Hey Halycon, you should look at door framing boards. They are planed and a lot straighter than a lot of construction timber. They are usually 1½" x 4" or thereabouts. And if you need thicker you could just glue to together and then cut the lengths as you need them afterwards.

Thanks, I will try those

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Door frames usually come with a rebate and most of the time are 6x2. I used to buy plane 6x2 red deal boards. (They are sold are 6x2 real life size is 1.5"x5.5") Made a legs for my desk from - photos few posts up.

Only place I've seen bigger rough non treated boards or beams were in a sawmill never at local builders.

If you can't get the right size maybe you could buy smaller sizes and join (laminate?) them. I noticed that my oak coffee table legs are done this way rather than from one piece. These legs are only 2.5"x2.5"
      Looks like 5 pieces glued together
      https://i.imgur.com/xfN1unyl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭bamayang

Working on John McGraths mitre saw station. Will be nice having it permanently set up, rather than getting saw out to do jobs.

MpJgfah.jpg

bamayang wrote: »
      Working on John McGraths mitre saw station. Will be nice having it permanently set up, rather than getting saw out to do jobs.

MpJgfah.jpg
      Looks great im jealous of the space you have for it! How big is the workshop?

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭bamayang

iamtony wrote: »
      Looks great im jealous of the space you have for it! How big is the workshop?

It’s 7m x 5m. About 70% is workshop and the rest is freezer/lawnmower/crap.
      Insulated it this year and it has made a massive difference. Very comfortable to be out there now, in any weather.

Advertisement