Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attack on Titan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I missed it yesterday but there's an Attack on Titan t-shirt on Qwertee until 11pm tomorrow (13/11) for €12.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

did it go from 10e to 12e or something after a day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

did it go from 10e to 12e or something after a day?
    Yup

Shirts are always 10 the first day, then they go up to 12 the second day as they're "last chance"

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johnmcdaniel

I know right. Probably one of the best in the history of anime. Lots of action and thrilling sights

Playboy

• Registered Users Posts: 6 baconcat

Well, it was good...

But I think it is just a little overhyped. Don't get me wrong, it's visually impressive and the characterisation is fantastic, but it suffers the Death Note problem of just taking far too bloody long to do anything with the story. I don't think it can be considered one of the "best animes EVAR!" because we have things like Cowboy Bebop and Akira to which this doesn't hold a candle to, but it's certainly a solid series and I look forward to season 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 styrax

Looks pretty awesome I gotta give it a watch someday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Was never into anime (read the odd comic years ago) but someone on twitter mentioned this show on netflix, sounded interesting. Well watched two episodes and now I'm hooked! Can't wait to see more

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Madjackjr

Enjoy and when you're done the manga is pretty good too :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got as far as episode 8 or 9 and had to stop,it was far too grim for my liking but the animation is amazing though.

Not really surprised you stopped I nearly did too but I kept going and towards the end it really picks up and then leaves you hanging on a nice cliff hanger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Finished the series in 2 days, amazing.

However, was disappointed to learn there was no Season 2 yet...or even confirmation of a season 2...as there are so many questions / plotlines.

I will probably have to get the mangas, as I read on the Wiki and was shocked to learn who the Armored and Colossal Titans were !

Can anyone else recommend another quality Anime to watch ?...
    EDIT : Forget that, just seen there is a sticky for such in the main forum. I'll take a look there :D

I wasn't too shoked when I found out, there was clues there in previous episodes if you look back you'll see. There are better reveals in the manga that are far more shocking and entertaining. I know you are going to look to the recomendations tread but I would recomend Claymore anime&manga if you are looking for something similar. Just one point just ignore the end of the anime and continue on with the manga tis good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Didnt enjoy finding out who the Collosal and Armoured Titans were, it didnt make sense in the context of their past behaviour, didnt Titans try to kill them a few times? They werent major characters in any case, maybe something got lost in translation.
    Ill watch Season 2 if it appears but wont bother with the Manga.

There's a lot more going on in the background that has not been reviled in the anime and to date the resign why the two bucks had to keep their identities quiet is because of this background plot
    Ya I'll be watching the second season ( I would be surprised if they didn't make a one) looking at the content it will be just as good if not better.

Just finished it today, what a brilliant and captivating show! Constantly pulling on the emotion strings and the relationship between eren and Mikasa is brilliantly conveyed on screen! Loved the animation and 3d aspects! Only thing I must decide on now is whether to read the manga or wait and keep fingers crossed that there will a be a season 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

One of the best tv shows ive seen in a while, honestly watched about 8 episodes a day, have never done that with any tv show before, the wait for season 2 is gonna be a serious drag though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Should I start from the start with the manga ?
    Are there compendiums available or do you have to buy each comic individually ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SaKi-The-Killer

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Should I start from the start with the manga ?
    Are there compendiums available or do you have to buy each comic individually ?

Id recommend the anime first as theres only one season...its awesome. Then get into the Manga to see how it all progresses.
    You can find it online...

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Id recommend the anime first as theres only one season...its awesome. Then get into the Manga to see how it all progresses.
    You can find it online...

<snip>

Please do not link to illegal manga scanlation sites, thank you.

I continued on from where the anime left off. I looked back just to check and anime follows the manga closely enough so i say plough on. Pluss there is a nice prequel story called Attack on Titan: Before te fall. There is four releses of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Dear god...I watched the whole thing on Netflix (US) yesterday - in my defense I'm stuck in a hotel on the side of a mountain with absolutely nothing else to do, but I couldn't stop watching. I thought it was fantastic, excellent artwork, direction, story and the soundtrack was stunning. Looking back I can see why some folks would have issue with the pacing if you watched it piecemeal but it absolutely works in a marathon. It's now up there with Claymore and Darker than Black for me,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Titans are one of the most disturbing enemies Ive seen in any series in a long time, theres something really off putting about them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I agree. They make me feel a little bit sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Started Attack on Titan and loving it. I watched the first episode when it first came out and have been putting off the show till a time when I could sit down and gorge on it. Watched the first 10 episodes over the past few days and I can't recall the last time that an anime hooked me so quickly.

The storytelling is top notch and it manages to be suite emotional and moving, far more often than many more respected and lauded dramas manage. There's a sense of urgency to each episode but the writers know when to slow down and take a breather. The way in which the relationship between the characters and their past is woven into the mayhem creates genuine warmth for them and allows the writers to explore a number of interesting and topical themes and issues. It's a rather brave and adult show and that it doesn't pander to genre expectations is a breath of fresh air.

All that said there are some issues with the pacing. The training episode seemed to hint at a struggle we never saw, talk of cadets dieing and the strain they were under but we never saw this or the affect it had on the others. It felt like a missed opportunity. The training episode did remind me quite a lot of Starship Troopers. Similarly the show does like to pad out rid idea with lots of recycled material and long scenes where the characters spend an age discussing not a whole lot. Still, they're minor complaints which don't take a lot away from the show. It's one of those rare adult anime shows that's more concerned with philosophising than it is with cheap gore or titillation.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

Thargor wrote: »
    The Titans are one of the most disturbing enemies Ive seen in any series in a long time, theres something really off putting about them...

There's a really good PBS Idea Channel episode on whether or not the Titans are evil:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

Haha that actually looks like good craic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I didn't spot that there was a dedicated discussion topic for this, I already dropped some thoughts in another thread.

Attack on Titan is the first anime I've watched in about 5 years, and it seemed like a good thing to come back on, since it's been the talk of the internet for ages.

After watching it through, I feel very conflicted on it, I liked it overall, but definitely it had good and bad elements:

Bad: Terrible and boring characters, muddling plot, second half of the series was worse than the first, very blatant switches to still images to save animation budget, the very few plot-twists there were were presented badly and stopping at episode 25 practically gave me plot whiplash.

Good: Really interesting world, very compelling world mystery, excellent designs both in the titans and the weapons used to fight them, amazing action set-pieces, and best opening sequence of maybe any anime ever.

I would like to give special shout-outs to the first
    Titan versus Titan
    fight in the forest, which might be the first battle in anime history I've seen where nobody talks, nobody shouts out attack names, and there are no bystanders who go "OH MY GOD, DID YOU SEE THAT ATTACK! WE ARE VERY SURPRISED BY THE POWER LEVEL OF IT!". It managed to be really subdued and epic at the same time. That's not easy.

I'm sure everyone's seen this as well, but if you haven't, it's pretty great (spoilers for like the first 6 eps only)

Advertisement