Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Keep it friendly. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, not at all fair to make sweeping remarks like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I have to agree with Warper to an extent. Had I not known this was Nolan I would not be enticed at all based on the trailer, of course I'll be seeing it having liked all his other movies though.

Also the film doesn't look anywhere near as visually appealing as his other work, has that fairly sickly looking orange and blue color palette that's way too prevalent in Hollywood. Here's hoping they do some better color correction for the final film at least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd agree too, can't say I was particularly moved by the trailer one way or the other. But then I've started looking at trailers as little more than marketing and a way to manufacture hype. The promise of the talent and concept has me interested far and above what any teaser could manage, and I wouldn't even say this offering does a particularly exemplary job anyway.

I'll let the film itself speak to its success or failure, and try to avoid the hype-building before release.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I quite liked the trailer, and it has done a few things to get me more interested in the film.

First the tone is obviously quite serious and contemplative. It is setting this out to be a slow and thoughtful film rather than a frantic 'splosion-fest.

Second, the trailer is mysterious. I don't think this is just about avoiding spoilers in the trailer, I think this is deliberate and they are suggesting that mystery will be a core part of the film. I'm hoping that this film can surprise me, not just because it hasn't been spoiled by trailers, but because it will have something genuinely surprising in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I'd agree too, can't say I was particularly moved by the trailer one way or the other. But then I've started looking at trailers as little more than marketing and a way to manufacture hype. The promise of the talent and concept has me interested far and above what any teaser could manage, and I wouldn't even say this offering does a particularly exemplary job anyway.

I'll let the film itself speak to its success or failure, and try to avoid the hype-building before release.

Nothing surprises with you Johnny, if it isn't made in Asia or French you ain't having it :D. I just knew you be sniffy about it.

Anyway Nolan the genius, has many debating about the trailer then any film released right now. It's going to be an interesting film that's for certain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

As per other Nolan projects such as The Prestige and Inception, it will probably need a couple of viewings to pick up all the aspects of the story! It will probably divide moviegoers and boardies, with a lot of people calling it crap and boring while the "Nolan is God" crowd (myself included) calling it movie of the year if not the decade!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Looks alright, although unlike Inception, The Prestige and Batman nothing I've seen is recognizably Nolan. Maybe it's the absence of Wally Pfister?

e_e wrote: »
    Looks alright, although unlike Inception, The Prestige and Batman nothing I've seen is recognizably Nolan. Maybe it's the absence of Wally Pfister?

Looks Alright :eek: Christ I heard everything now. I expect you ain't a Nolan fan. This is why Nolan along with Paul Thomas Anderson is the only directors you expect an Event with every release. The reason you fall in love with Films are for these moments for someone to surprise you, Nolan is that guy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I actually think the film looks very Nolan-esque, which is to say rather beautifully bland. Hoytema is a very atmospheric cinematographer as his work with and without Alfredson shows. He looks like he’s been reigned in here, though his muted lighting was very similar to Pfister’s anyway.

There’s never been anything visually distinctive about Nolan that would stand out in a trailer. He’s a weak stylist who has borrowed from different directors depending on the film. His strength is premise, story and plot. And working those things into a coherent and exciting cinematic narrative. He’s a whole-is-greater-than-the-sum-of-the-(sometimes unimpressive)-parts-type of guy. I’ve grown accept and love this about him.

• Advertisement

Looper007 wrote: »
    Looks Alright :eek: Christ I heard everything now. I expect you ain't a Nolan fan.
    Cool down there. I'm semi-positive with my use of "alright". :P

I like everything I've seen by Nolan so far and I'll be seeing the film in a heartbeat but something about the trailers haven't really clicked with me so far. I think it all comes down to the sickly orange and blue look.
    The reason you fall in love with Films are for these moments for someone to surprise you, Nolan is that guy.
    Honestly wouldn't it be more of a surprise if it turned out to be bad? I tend to hold out more for the films that I wasn't expecting so maybe that'll explain my slightly muted response as I'm wary about getting my expectations too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

and the trailer is gone ... boo!

It's always better to be blown away with muted expectations than slightly disappointed with extremely high expectations.

and the trailer is gone ... boo!

That’s just the embed. Click the link and watch it on the official site.

Cool down there. I'm semi-positive with my use of "alright". :P

I like everything I've seen by Nolan so far and I'll be seeing the film in a heartbeat but something about the trailers haven't really clicked with me so far. I think it all comes down to the sickly orange and blue look.

It’s a bit orangey alright, but I’m not seeing any unnatural blue or teal. Nolan’s films always have strong skin tones. McConaughey looks a bit too tanned but everyone else looks normal. The orangey look is very unlike Hoytema and seems mostly limited to the Midwest scenes. I assume it's just Nolan trying to replicate the Malick magic hour look.

Looks Alright :eek: Christ I heard everything now. I expect you ain't a Nolan fan. This is why Nolan along with Paul Thomas Anderson is the only directors you expect an Event with every release. The reason you fall in love with Films are for these moments for someone to surprise you, Nolan is that guy.

Let's be honest - it's a trailer, a piece of marketing. I haven't been particularly wowed by any teasers or trailers I've seen of this film so far, but that doesn't bother or move me as films should be judged entirely on the end product not the trailers. Good films can have bad trailers, bad films can have good trailers - so honestly I try and blank them out as much as I can, and wait for the film itself. Two minutes isn't sufficient to capture the essence or quality of a movie (although lord knows David Fincher does a damn good job of trying) so I'm disinclined to take trailers too seriously. Especially since they can undermine the memorable reveals and imagery by placing the out of actual context - if it wasn't for having to watch them before films in the cinema, I'd honestly just avoid trailers entirely.

I would say it's it not at all fair to e_e to jump on him like that because of an ambivalent response to some brief clips. And sure we all have opinions anyway - to be honest, Christopher Nolan is most certainly not above criticism, and has some notable weak points (like his often overly busy editing style) alongside his strengths. As I've rewatched his films and read responses to them, I feel many of his detractors are perfectly reasonable even if I don't necessarily agree.

For the record, I have enjoyed or loved the vast majority of Nolan's films (Insomina I'm not too big on) and very much look forward to seeing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Let's be honest - it's a trailer, a piece of marketing. I haven't been particularly wowed by any teasers or trailers I've seen of this film so far, but that doesn't bother or move me as films should be judged entirely on the end product not the trailers. Good films can have bad trailers, bad films can have good trailers - so honestly I try and blank them out as much as I can, and wait for the film itself. Two minutes isn't sufficient to capture the essence or quality of a movie (although lord knows David Fincher does a damn good job of trying) so I'm disinclined to take trailers too seriously. Especially since they can undermine the memorable reveals and imagery by placing the out of actual context - if it wasn't for having to watch them before films in the cinema, I'd honestly just avoid trailers entirely.

I would say it's it not at all fair to e_e to jump on him like that because of an ambivalent response to some brief clips. And sure we all have opinions anyway - to be honest, Christopher Nolan is most certainly not above criticism, and has some notable weak points (like his often overly busy editing style) alongside his strengths. As I've rewatched his films and read responses to them, I feel many of his detractors are perfectly reasonable even if I don't necessarily agree.

For the record, I have enjoyed or loved the vast majority of Nolan's films (Insomina I'm not too big on) and very much look forward to seeing this.

I really wish directors would fight for more control over how much footage is released for marketing, some movies these days are completely ruined by the trailers and seeing the finished film is basically a formality after youve gotten a 2-3 (or longer) minute summary from the marketing team. The initial teaser for Interstellar was perfect, summed up the theme of the film without going overboard.

I'm not a director but surely it must be disheartening for them to see a shot they hoped would wow an audience ruined by an out of context trailer. I really miss specifically shot trailers there are some really good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Don't agree Krudler, I think Nolan has control on what is shown, I mean he turned up at ComicCon with this trailer, I think he is powerful enough to determine what can be shown in any of the trailers, I don't think this one gives much more info then what we already know about the movie, ok we get a look at the alien landscapes, but some of this one is a re-hash of the other 2 trailers. I got more of an emotional kick from the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Prior to seeing this trailer, I was genuinely expecting McConaughey to have a very short time on screen (leave Earth and maybe not see him again) despite the movie to an extent being about space travel.

Is that the part of the original score? There's a lot of similar sounding progressions in it to MoS.

Sounds like Zimmer, so I assume it's original, though possibly created just for the trailer.

• Advertisement

Trailer music is below. It’s not Zimmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

0bLQciQ.gif

They see me rollin, they hatin

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

pretty speechless after that trailer.

cant wait to see it.

in fairness to Nolan he has never let me down before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Looks absolutely EPIC !!!

Jesus please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good

It's always better to be blown away with muted expectations than slightly disappointed with extremely high expectations.

Edgar wright on his twitter page a few days ago said a few people who've seen say it's Nolan's best film. Christ if that's so we have to go in with extremely high expectations, to be honest he's never let me down with any of his films. He's without doubt one of a few ( Tarantino Scorcese and Anderson) directors names alone that sell films without a big name actor. The trailer left me grasping to be honest.

I've enjoyed all of Nolan's films to date but find the adoration that people bestow on his work a little hard to take. He's a very talented film maker who excels at telling a story but visually he lacks his own unique style and the editing in his work often leaves a lot to be desired. He also has a horrible habit of letting the score tell the viewer how they should feel. I've never been bored by one of his films and have revisited them all a number of times but I can see why some are less than enamored with the trailer.

He's without doubt one of a few ( Tarantino Scorcese and Anderson) directors names alone that sell films without a big name actor.

Not really. Names like Claire Denis, Michael Haneke, Abbas Kiarostami, Mike Leigh, Jia Zhangke, the Dardennes etc... will sell films to financiers, distributors, exhibitors and audiences alike. Obviously it's not on the same scale as those working in commercial Hollywood, but they and many more are very marketable names, and they rarely enjoy the participation of superstars that feature in your typical Christopher Nolan effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I've enjoyed all of Nolan's films to date but find the adoration that people bestow on his work a little hard to take. He's a very talented film maker who excels at telling a story but visually he lacks his own unique style and the editing in his work often leaves a lot to be desired. He also has a horrible habit of letting the score tell the viewer how they should feel. I've never been bored by one of his films and have revisited them all a number of times but I can see why some are less than enamored with the trailer.

First it's 'exposition' that is the problem with him spoon feeding the audience and now it's his use of the score.

His use of the score is just another method and directorial choice. Just as Scorcese uses silence or lingering shots. They're not weaknesses, just different choices.

First it's 'exposition' that is the problem with him spoon feeding the audience and now it's his use of the score.

His use of the score is just another method and directorial choice. Just as Scorcese uses silence or lingering shots. They're not weaknesses, just different choices.

He does have a horrible habit of using exposition to tell his stories, Ellen Page's character in Inception is a perfect example of how he falls back on it. A lot of her dialogue is just her asking questions and it's a poor form of story telling. His use of score can be equally irritating, the lack of silence in his more recent work robs much of the impact of certain scenes. As I've said in the past, I have enjoyed all of Nolan's output but he's not without his faults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Gotta disagree that he lacks a visual style, his collaborations with Wally Pfister all have definite stylistic similiarities. Is Nolan the perfect director? well no his films are flawed but massively entertaining. I still think The Prestige is his best work.

Advertisement