Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Mcguigan crisps.

• 02-02-2012 3:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

At the height of the Clones cyclones success,about 85 or so I saw an ad on RTE for his own brand of crisps.I can't remember exactly what they were called but they came in three flavours,Barrys jabs,Barrys gloves and I can't think of the third.Barry himself appeared at the end of the ad and said"My snacks are world champs".I only saw the ad once and I don't ever recall seeing the crisps for sale so perhaps they were pulled before they were due to be launched.Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Clearly not.No one I've spoken to remembers them either ,I'm starting to think did I imagine them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I vaguely remember them and apparently a few others did too!
    barry mcguigan crisps
    Anyone remember barry mcguigan crisps?

They were in a small pack for 5p.
    Weird flavours, I think I remember "Nettle & Tomato" flavour or something.
    There were also "A Team" crisps in the same size pack for 5p.
    Yep I remember them all right. Nettle flavour crisps like LOL.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53894592

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Nettle flavoured crisps? Now I've heard it all.

Well i'm glad I dident imagine it after all.I was begining to think maybe the ad was a spoof by Dermot Morgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Was just thinking of these this morning and had to trawl the internet to make sure I wasn't imagining that they actually existed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

These existed all right.Collect 10 packets and join the fan club.You then got a signed birthday card on your birthday!

Still have mine in my parents attic!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Niles wrote: »
    Nettle flavoured crisps? Now I've heard it all.

Here's more for you, you can eat boiled nettles. You can make beer from nettles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I remember them to, also related to Barry mcguigan was champion milk from monaghan co op...

These existed all right.Collect 10 packets and join the fan club.You then got a signed birthday card on your birthday!

Still have mine in my parents attic!

Ah, you have to throw up a pic of them at some stage! I'm curious to see how good my memory is with regards to how the packet looks. Probably nothing like I remember :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Ah, you have to throw up a pic of them at some stage! I'm curious to see how good my memory is with regards to how the packet looks. Probably nothing like I remember :pac:

I have the card not the crisp packet!
    If i remember correctly they were a very small bag and cost 5p.

• Advertisement

I have the card not the crisp packet!
    If i remember correctly they were a very small bag and cost 5p.

Ah, right, that makes more sense lol.

Yea, I remember them being in a small bag too. Was looking for a pic online but couldn't find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Yeah, i used to eat them all the time while they lasted, only remember them being around a few months to a year.
    I think they came in a whitish kind of bag and little men shaped crisps inside them.

Was just eating a bag of meanies there now and it made me remember the Barry Mcguigan crisps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Never happen now, a sports star endorsing junk food for kids!

Funnily enough, there were less 'well upholstered' kids back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

They most certaining existed, along the same lines of the A-Team crisps, a small 5p bag. I recall it being a red bag with a gloved fist and maybe partial face graphic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

What about Goal crisps.....with Steve Highway cards in them............i know what some of ye are thinking, who the fcuk was Steve Highway.....:rolleyes::D

What about Goal crisps.....with Steve Highway cards in them............i know what some of ye are thinking, who the fcuk was Steve Highway.....:rolleyes::D
    He was a bit before my time but I know he was a pioneer of the mustachioed footballer look.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

darkdubh wrote: »
    He was a bit before my time but I know he was a pioneer of the mustachioed footballer look.

Well he did play for Liverpool...........calm down calm down....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Up The Bare Stairs

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    They most certaining existed, along the same lines of the A-Team crisps, a small 5p bag. I recall it being a red bag with a gloved fist and maybe partial face graphic.

First thing that came to mind when I saw this tread was the A-team crisps, vaguely remember the Barry McGuigan ones too. The 80s really were filled with weird marketing ploys, almost as if Ireland had just discovered how to brand and sell goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭olly_mac

I just went down memory lane with the mention of these :) My older brother used to buy me a packet every Friday when he got paid. He was a good few years older than me, with a troop of sisters in between us :D We conspired against them all the time!!

He passed away three months ago, so thank you for reminding me of these :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

BGYiG8GCEAEKlJ6.jpg

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

They weren't crisps in the technical sense but were 'corn snacks' like Monster Munch. I used to love the tomato flavour ones.

I knew nothing about boxing but briefly became a 'fan' of Barry McGuigan purely on the basis of them. There were tokens on the packets that you collected and sent away (along with a fiver I think) to join his fan club. You then got a four page newsletter about four times a year as well as some crappy plastic toys (I forget exactly what they were). It was a load of nonsense but at the time I thought it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Tubridy just gave Barry McGuigan a bag of those crisps on the Late Late Show!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

There's a few images of these online.

BGYiG8GCEAEKlJ6.jpg

Presume this is a still from the tv ad, ad itself doesn't seem to be online.

B5ARcayCEAAG3o_.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

The fan club birthday card.

MTRjNWM3OTFlMWY2MjYxNWQ4YTYwOTJjY2YyNDNmYTYIXJdi0k87-UXjeKy28-GjaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vM2QyOTYzOWM0YWQ0YmU3NmE5MzVmODkyZjQ2NWM2YjEyMzZiMDA0NmYzNWE4ZWRlNzJjM2M5OTU2ZmE0ZTEwYS5qcGd8fHx8fHwxNjR4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭briany

They weren't crisps in the technical sense but were 'corn snacks' like Monster Munch. I used to love the tomato flavour ones.

I knew nothing about boxing but briefly became a 'fan' of Barry McGuigan purely on the basis of them. There were tokens on the packets that you collected and sent away (along with a fiver I think) to join his fan club. You then got a four page newsletter about four times a year as well as some crappy plastic toys (I forget exactly what they were). It was a load of nonsense but at the time I thought it was great.

I used to eat Monster Munch fairly regularly as a kid, but I only remember ever seeing one flavour in the shops. Other flavours were advertised on the back of the packet, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭Archeron

briany wrote: »
    I used to eat Monster Munch fairly regularly as a kid, but I only remember ever seeing one flavour in the shops. Other flavours were advertised on the back of the packet, though.

Always the Cyclops :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Remember Rocky ice lollies?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Advertisement
Advertisement