Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Glenroe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

There was one thing where a Dinny had a female greyhound andFR. Devereux had a male terrier, and the greyhound got pregnant. They stand there looking at the greyhound wondering how the terrier managed it. Dinny said 'Maybe he was standing on a bucket'.

One good moment in umpteen years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Didn't Dinny go to confession as a way of telling Fr Devereux what had happened? And as penance he gave him something like 50 rosaries to say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Was Darina Allens cooking show after the news on a Sunday or was that on a weekday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gunga Din

jester77 wrote: »
    Best thing about Sunday night was when Theresa Lowe had that quiz show on just before Glenroe... boy did she get the blood flowing in many a young lad back then!!

the prizes on that "Where in the World" were utter sh**e

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

I wonder what was on after Glenroe in those days (The news obviously but after the news). Everybody seems to have gone to bed strraight after Glenroe. Our parents were keeping some glorious secret!

I remember the Sandy Kelly show was on after Glenroe in the 90's

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I remember 'Bracken'. Actually I remember 'The Riordans', but I'm taking tablets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Anyone remember The Riordans on the radio - lasted until 1985.

What was on after Glenroe?

The Nine O'Clock News. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

Dick Moran was my first ever crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I remember it well back in the time when Mary was married to Michael and was having an affair with big Dick Moran.....she was beaten black and blue and we were all guessing who did it. Turn's out auld Michael did it. Then many years later when she was married to Dick..he went off and started shagging Terry Killeen.

Remember Biddy with the perm, back when she was dying about Miley and he fancied Carol....as did Matt Moran who went on to bigger and better things in 'Rawhead Rex'(anyone else remember that?:D).

Yeah back then there was fcuk all else on....'Spitting Image' was on after it..I got to stay up to watch it even though I couldn't understand the half of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Why did it get cancelled? I still remember the theme tune.:D

• Advertisement

Ann22 wrote: »
    I remember it well back in the time when Mary was married to Michael and was having an affair with big Dick Moran.....she was beaten black and blue and we were all guessing who did it. Turn's out auld Michael did it. Then many years later when she was married to Dick..he went off and started shagging Terry Killeen.

I remember that episode vividly - so clear that I know it was episode 9 of the first series - which means it was broadcast in November 1983.

Mary lying on the floor of the house covered in bruises. My mother thought she was dead. "Murdered" she said to my father.

Then the credits came and it was time for bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭van der vart

Harbour Hotel was on the radio everyday, my ma and da used to go out every Sun night straight after Glenroe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Eurgh. hated that show primarily on the fact that it was like a huge bell ringing in the end of the weekend.

Only thing I remember from that show was when Mary clocked Dick across the head with the fire poke and knocked him clean out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

soo funny!! same here though!! :O)
    that made me laugh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I remember that episode vividly - so clear that I know it was episode 9 of the first series - which means it was broadcast in November 1983.

Mary lying on the floor of the house covered in bruises. My mother thought she was dead. "Murdered" she said to my father.

Then the credits came and it was time for bed.

My childhood memories of this might be foggy on this but I seem to recall watching eagerly the following week to see what happened next and it was a big anti-climax. Mary was going about her business as usual though no doubt covered in bruises. I was hoping for some sort of hullabaloo when she was on the floor

Firetrap wrote: »
    My childhood memories of this might be foggy on this but I seem to recall watching eagerly the following week to see what happened next and it was a big anti-climax. Mary was going about her business as usual though no doubt covered in bruises. I was hoping for some sort of hullabaloo when she was on the floor

spot on! Was expecting her to be hospitalised at best - and she seemed fine the following week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CiaraMG21

I used to beg my mam to be allowed to stay up to watch it on Sunday nights. It wasnt because I loved it or even liked it, it was just so I could have an extra half an hour or so up on a Sunday night before school the next day haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭ Kace Nervous Stereoscope

efb wrote: »
    Dallas

DA, DA DA, DA DA DA DA DA DA, DA DA DA DA DA DA....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 aisog

bradlente wrote: »
    I used to hate it cos it was time for bed afterwards.......:(

Same in my house!!I used to love Blackie!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

spurious wrote: »
    I remember 'Bracken'. Actually I remember 'The Riordans', but I'm taking tablets.
    i remember watching repeats of
    this on tg4 about 10 years ago. Miley was driving a clapped out covertable of some sort, it was some pile of rubbish! The car not the programme that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Was Glenroe not broadcast by ITV (albeit a few years behind RTÉ)? I vaguely remember seeing "Bracken" rebroadcast as well, but that must be over ten years ago at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Dull and Boring

aisog wrote: »
    Same in my house!!I used to love Blackie!

I named a pet goldfish I had after him because it had a black streak on it
    bradlente wrote: »
    I used to hate it cos it was time for bed afterwards.......:(

It used to be a treat as a kid on a Sunday night to get to stay up the extra half an hour to see it. How depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Sorry for bumping this thread but thought it better than starting a new thread on Glenroe :)

Someone just asked me a question that I do NOT know the answer to:

What was Mary & Biddys' maiden-name?
    - Mary married Dick and became Mary Moran
    - Biddy married Mylie and took his name so became Biddy Byrne

but what was their surname before they married? Wasn't Mary married before marrying Dick? (if Yeah, to whom and what was his surname).

Thanks in advance,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping this thread but thought it better than starting a new thread on Glenroe :)

Someone just asked me a question that I do NOT know the answer to:

What was Mary & Biddys' maiden-name?
    - Mary married Dick and became Mary Moran
    - Biddy married Mylie and took his name so became Biddy Byrne

but what was their surname before they married? Wasn't Mary married before marrying Dick? (if Yeah, to whom and what was his surname).

Thanks in advance,

McDermott.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Geri Male wrote: »
    McDermott.

Yes that was it! Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 legoblock1

Glenroe rocks! Used love it on a Sunday eve before having to go to bed for school! Loved minah timlin the nosy one! And sure the fidelma n Miley roll on the hay was pure crap but hilarious all the same! Well holy god!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Anyone remember Mary's niece (?) from the north? I remember being so shocked when she said: "Ya batch baddy" to Biddy.

Also, didn't she spike Mary's tay with magic mushies? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Firetrap wrote: »
    Didn't Dinny go to confession as a way of telling Fr Devereux what had happened? And as penance he gave him something like 50 rosaries to say :D

I remember that scene, and someone writing in to Mailbag to complain. Can't remember exactly why but presumably because they thought it was making a mockery of confession?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

mud wrote: »
    Anyone remember Mary's niece (?) from the north? I remember being so shocked when she said: "Ya batch baddy" to Biddy.

Also, didn't she spike Mary's tay with magic mushies? :)

Yes, dark haired one. Very cute. The only thing I remember her being in after was a tiny part in Paths To Freedom where I think Rats goes up to the North.

Edit: Just found the scene she's in, from 1:00. She's the barmaid.

https://youtu.be/rgHg7SFeDF4

Advertisement