Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strange Stories in English Books in the 80s

Options
  • 29-04-2009 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Does anyone remember the story in their English book from about 1982 where a boy eat magic carrots and turned into a donkey and the stories in the book went through his search for turn back into a boy, strange, I think the book was called stepping stones but i'm not very sure.

There was another story about a flying bus, "children, children come with Gus you'll be happy in this bus"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,014 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Vas_Guy wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the story in their English book from about 1982 where a boy eat magic carrots and turned into a donkey and the stories in the book went through his search for turn back into a boy, strange, I think the book was called stepping stones but i'm not very sure.
    This sounds like Peig.
    There was another story about a flying bus, "children, children come with Gus you'll be happy in this bus"

This sounds like a headline from the front cover of The Sunday World.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I remember one from the very early 80s, a story about a guy that suddenly goes blind in a - I think - tube station. Scared the life out of me when I was a kid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Yeah ,i remember the one about the boy turning into a donkey,the bus one dosent ring a bell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

boys being turned into donkeys sounds like Pinocchio:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭hairymick

This may be from the same book,it was on the cirriculum at the same time(early 80s).It was about a tramp who finds a magic fiddle in a dump and finds that it enables him to play really well and makes him very rich.I think he ended up breaking it and going back to being a tramp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I've been racking my brain trying to remember what this book was called. It was one of those annuals with picture stories in it. Bunty keeps coming into my head but at the same time not sure, it was a girl's annual anyway.

What I can remember is that this girl gets locked in an attic where there's a weird picture, she falls asleep and wakes up trapped in the picture . . . . forever :eek:

I remember it scaring the bejaysus outta me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Jeebus - I think I remember that story :eek: I don't think it was the Bunty as I think its stories had happy endings. It was one of the sister comics -Mandy or Judy I think. Two more comic stories with weirdo endings that stick in my head are the one with a girl who learns all too late that there are clones of herself and her family lobbing about town. The other was this girl pianist who has a successful performance début. Some woman appears backstage and grants her a wish - she asks for the chance to relive her musical debut. Only problem is, the thing keeps looping and looping and looping. No doubt she's still playing that piano piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The scarey ones were probably in misty, my sisters used to get it...

No, these stories were definitely not in Misty. There was something especially jarring about these stories with shock creepy endings showing up in the middle of the other stories. Ironically, I can't remember any of the other stories that were in these old comics, just the creepy ones.

Back on topic: The strangest story I came across in an English book was Trouble in the Mountains. There were two kids in it - a boy and a girl - whose dad got sent to prison for stealing sheep. It turned out that the sheep in the area were being stolen in an ambulance - after all, who would stop an ambulance to check what was inside? For a while, I suffered from the delusion that Headford in Galway (where the story was set) was a shortish distance from Dublin - in the book the two kids cycle to Aras an Uachtarain to get their dad's name cleared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

mud wrote: »
    I've been racking my brain trying to remember what this book was called. It was one of those annuals with picture stories in it. Bunty keeps coming into my head but at the same time not sure, it was a girl's annual anyway.

What I can remember is that this girl gets locked in an attic where there's a weird picture, she falls asleep and wakes up trapped in the picture . . . . forever :eek:

I remember it scaring the bejaysus outta me.

It was called Misty!! Found it in my nanas house years ago - I remember it scared me and my cousin stupid! The picture one gave me nightmares too and the girl was trapped and only could only look out the eyes holes FOREVER!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

hairymick wrote: »
    This may be from the same book,it was on the cirriculum at the same time(early 80s).It was about a tramp who finds a magic fiddle in a dump and finds that it enables him to play really well and makes him very rich.I think he ended up breaking it and going back to being a tramp.
    Yes i remember that,it was from an english book of stories from around 82,83 in primary school.Another story was about an old man who lived alone and a mouse kept coming out of a crack in the wall giving him gold coins.I think there was another story about a magic carpet.Does any of this ring any bells?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I remember when you finished with the Hopscotch readers (eg'Trouble in the mountains', 'the secret place', 'the tara broach' and the ones donkey's years ago with Maura,Sean and Rusty the dog..) you graduated onto 'Lift off' and 'Links'....no one I know remembers these:(....Maybe not many schools did them. There were some great stories in them like 'the return of the iron man'-cool and scary..then one 'the money lender and the tailor's daughter'..and one about a boy who wanted to watch a football match but couldn't go for some reason...he floated up in the air and could watch it over the wall:confused::).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

i must have went to the wrong schools.

Those stories are brilliant. I do vaguely remember misty.
    I can barely remember childhood, no chance of what i read though.

Going to google misty though tom.

http://mistycomic.co.uk/Home.html

Misty was brilliant. I bought two old annuals off ebay recently.Check this site....Click on 'the cavern of dreams' at the top of the page. It gives you a choice of stories to read...select a story title then click on the actual first page to increase the size before clicking 'play slideshow'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Ann22 wrote: »
    I remember when you finished with the Hopscotch readers (eg'Trouble in the mountains', 'the secret place', 'the tara broach' and the ones donkey's years ago with Maura,Sean and Rusty the dog..) you graduated onto 'Lift off' and 'Links'....no one I know remembers these:(....).

I guess we must be around the same age, Ann as I remember all those!
    I remember Links 1 had all these weird drawings- years later there was an art exhibition in the hospital where I trained in London and all those paintings were shown, they were by a Belgian artist called Magritte.
    No wonder I had a lot of nightmares!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭hairymick

kelle wrote: »
    I guess we must be around the same age, Ann as I remember all those!
    I remember Links 1 had all these weird drawings- years later there was an art exhibition in the hospital where I trained in London and all those paintings were shown, they were by a Belgian artist called Magritte.
    No wonder I had a lot of nightmares!
    My older brother had Links,i remember being freaked out by the illustrations all right,especially a black and white photograph of a pair of shoes that looked like human feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

darkdubh wrote: »
    Yes i remember that,it was from an english book of stories from around 82,83 in primary school.Another story was about an old man who lived alone and a mouse kept coming out of a crack in the wall giving him gold coins.I think there was another story about a magic carpet.Does any of this ring any bells?

The magic carpet rings a bell

hairymick wrote: »
    My older brother had Links,i remember being freaked out by the illustrations all right,especially a black and white photograph of a pair of shoes that looked like human feet.

Yeah! I remember that... it was like shoes or boots that had toes on the end..weird:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Yeah! I remember that... it was like shoes or boots that had toes on the end..weird:confused:

http://rene-magritte-paintings.blogspot.com/2007/08/le-modele-rouge.html

He must have had a disturbed mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

God, I remember that, i think it was stepping stones, there was a whole series of the readers, imaginitively titled Stepping Stones A, B, C, D, etc

There was another story where the people in the story had to find someone that would give them a magic phrase which meant something would happen (don't remember the story) but I do remember the phrase was o-long-do-man-go :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I remember the Hopskotch books, troubles in the mountains, yes remember that, it had photographs of Dublin in that book, everything else in the series had drawings, they must have thought that country didnt know what dublin looked like, one page had a picture at the bottom of the page of a vw beetle at the phoenix park i think.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I remember some of the English books we had in primary during the 70's, anyone remember 'Links'?

In particular I remember reading one story about a circus with a donkey so vicious that it wouldn't let anyone ride him, and a strong guy who knocked it out so he could ride it (steady!) and win a prize.

We also had a copy of Edin Bylton's 'Three Little Sambos' in our school library.

I dunno what was more damaging, the above, or the fact that most teachers chain-smoked in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 carmelod

Hi guys,

I am trying to remember a story we did in primary school it was about a farmer and his donkey. The donkey was lazy or didnt want to work. The farmer notice he used to walk fast when the donkey passed the forest so the farmer made a ring of leaves and put it around the donkeys head so it walked fast all the time.

I know its a bit bizzar but would anyone know what the name of this story is or what English book it was in.

Many thanks!

carmelod wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am trying to remember a story we did in primary school it was about a farmer and his donkey. The donkey was lazy or didnt want to work. The farmer notice he used to walk fast when the donkey passed the forest so the farmer made a ring of leaves and put it around the donkeys head so it walked fast all the time.

I know its a bit bizzar but would anyone know what the name of this story is or what English book it was in.

Many thanks!
    That's familiar to me...it wasn't in a religion book by any chance? There used to be cool wee stories in them. Some of my son's books have a very similar drawing style. Same artist maybe.
    I was at a car boot sale recently. I found a copy of 'Exploring English -Short Stories' the version I used for the Inter Cert. I would've bought it if it wasn't so dusty, I'd never stop sneezing if I read it all:(.. I flicked through it though. I remembered the stories so well..'Janey Mary', 'The Rockfish', 'The Wild Duck's Nest', 'The Trout' and the best ones 'The First Confession' and 'The Confirmation Suit'. Anyone remember them?

I remember some of the English books we had in primary during the 70's, anyone remember 'Links'?

quote]

A few of us were talking about 'Links' a few posts back DublinWriter. I remember it well, also 'Lift off' and 'Reaching Out'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That's familiar to me...it wasn't in a religion book by any chance? There used to be cool wee stories in them. Some of my son's books have a very similar drawing style. Same artist maybe.
    I was at a car boot sale recently. I found a copy of 'Exploring English -Short Stories' the version I used for the Inter Cert. I would've bought it if it wasn't so dusty, I'd never stop sneezing if I read it all:(.. I flicked through it though. I remembered the stories so well..'Janey Mary', 'The Rockfish', 'The Wild Duck's Nest', 'The Trout' and the best ones 'The First Confession' and 'The Confirmation Suit'. Anyone remember them?

yeah janey mary left quite an impression on me, "the first confession" and "the confirmation suit" I remember too. I didn't do it for the inter cert so they were probably the older brothers' books I was reading.

Strange the way some images stick in your mind. Janey Mary for example, I remember she lived in Canning Cottages. The queue at the church for bread. The man with the greasy dandruff flaked collar in front with the hob nailed boots.. I wondered what became of her after he stood on her bare feet and left the nail imprints:(.
    The 'First Confession' was a great story..the grandmother who hid the porter under her shawl, the story of the man who came back in spirit to leave black handprints on the bed 'cos he made a bad confession..the author's memories of climbing up on the elbow rest in the Confession box only to stumble and end up hanging upside down facing the priest:D.
    The Confirmaton Suit was blue serge with massive buttons, the wee fella puked up his Communion wafer to his mother's horror if memory serves. Then the race among his relatives to get the first kiss off him after the ceremony:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 carmelod

I found out it was M'asal Deag Dubh by Pádraic Ó Conaire. An old Irish short story.

Many thanks for replies!

Bambi wrote: »
    yeah janey mary left quite an impression on me, "the first confession" and "the confirmation suit" I remember too. I didn't do it for the inter cert so they were probably the older brothers' books I was reading.

I just googled First Confession and found this web page that has the texts for Janey Mary, First Confession and the Confirmation Suit on it.

We had Links in our school but I genuinely can't remember anything from it :confused:

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Firetrap. I enjoyed that wee read:).

Advertisement