Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭IsMiseConor

At the moment The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. It's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I have that lined up, I'm deffo going to be in need of something light in a week or so!
    I spoke too soon :rolleyes:

had to skip a chapter it was so tedious:(

Still reading it though............

I must buy John Green books on Amazon! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ooh ooh ooh ooh! i has books again! got a book voucher for xmas, and seeing as im fecking off to oz tomorrow, i figured id get some new reading for the trip. i might have accidently ended up spending $40 on books myself (the voucher was for $40, but i couldnt decide between two options...)... but ooh, yay, got trudy canavan's The Magician's Guild, and The Novice. started reading the magician's guild in easons hundreds of times, but never got round to buying it, so finally have it, and the second in the series, and got the latest book from the Sevenwaters series, The Heir to Sevenwaters, i think it's called. it's all very exciting, and im absolutely over the moon. i can't wait to get stuck into them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Bad Science by Ben Goldacre...absolutely awesome book, everyone should give it a read me thinks.

Bad Science

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

dawn french's "dear fatty"
    and
    the new ross o'carroll kelly one, which i forget the name of.
    am meant to be reading the grass is singing by dorris lessing before the mocks, but haven't got around to it yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Veda Muscular Weaponry

Fad wrote: »
    I spoke too soon :rolleyes:

had to skip a chapter it was so tedious:(

Still reading it though............

I must buy John Green books on Amazon! :mad:

Ah blocks :( feckit I'll just re-read some Terry Pratchett. Now I just have to keep my brain switched on til Monday...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

In Exile, A collection of short stories by Billy O Callaghan.

Bloody magnificent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭EmoMatt15

I'll just re-read some Terry Pratchet.

Ah no! I cant get into any of his books! I mean, I just dont find them funny :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

EmoMatt15 wrote: »
    Ah no! I cant get into any of his books! I mean, I just dont find them funny :eek:

weird... I got 11 more Terry Pratchett books for christmas :) on number 7 right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah I'm another of those people who don't really get the whole hype about Terry Pratchett...his books just aren't that great or funny. I have read a few I did quie like, but they were the books for kids. He has a good book he wrote with Neil Gaiman too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Piste wrote: »
    Yeah I'm another of those people who don't really get the whole hype about Terry Pratchett...his books just aren't that great or funny. I have read a few I did quie like, but they were the books for kids. He has a good book he wrote with Neil Gaiman too.

I don't know, I think I just really like his sense of humour. I saw the one with Neil Gaiman a while ago, must pick it up at some stage.

I mean, I wouldn't say he is the most amazing writer of our time or anything, but I've found all his books to be good enjoyable reads.

Piste wrote: »

Some of the books arent great, most though are hysterically funny.......you may have picked the wrong one
    Ah blocks :( feckit I'll just re-read some Terry Pratchett. Now I just have to keep my brain switched on til Monday...

Nah read, its easy to read, but when you're tired in bed, Democrats Vs Republicans isnt exactly thrilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

The Pratchett/Gaiman book is good as far as I remember, though I don't remember the plot, just the fact that I liked it! As for his other books, though they do get a bit repetitive (especially now he has Alzheimer's :(), I think they're hilarious (though not as hilarious as I used to think). I used to devour them when I was abut nine or ten, so I think a lot of my attachment is probably sentimental, they remind me of being a little kid, but don't make me want to weep from boredom. I tried re-reading Roald bloody Dahl a while ago, tedious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Terry Pratchett books are the only books I read when I was a kiddie that I still can read without them seeming stupid.
    At the minute, I'm reading a book called 33 strategies of war. It's pretty interesting, breaks all conflict down into 33 strategies.
    Also trying to work through notes on the Irish Legal System (for an exam), which just isn't happening.
    :pac:

Id have Roald Dahl over Terry Pratchett any day

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Roald Dahl was a genius. His short stories for adults are stunning.

While I appreciate the genius of Roald Dahl's writing, and count him as probably my favourite children's authors (though I'm forced to admit I wasn't even aware that he also wrote for adults), I still couldn't sit down and read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or The BFG or Matilda (all stuff I loved as a kid) at my age without finding my mind drifting away. Wasn't trying to diss the dude, big up to him, respect, peace and love and all that

I'm forced to admit I wasn't even aware that he also wrote for adults

Some of his adult stuff was slightly strange, while still very good.
    Uncle Oswald!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

At the moment The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. It's brilliant!

I love that book!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Is it not the Nightdress?

Loved that one, probably the best in the series along with Orange Mocha Chip, just finished Mrs S and the secret of Andorra's box. Was very good.

Have one of Jeffory Archers older books to read next, his latest one was brill, and some book about Fritzil I've yet to start also!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Grahamo999 wrote: »

Loved that one, probably the best in the series along with Orange Mocha Chip, just finished Mrs S and the secret of Andorra's box. Was very good.

No, this, not this.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I've just finished Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Just started to re-read the Master and Margarita and just forgot how brilliant it is!!! :D

Anyone else read and love this book??

Just started Obama's book. It's...well, it's very American. Obvioulsy a very intelligent and interesting man though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Intellectual stimulation: re-reading Black Beauty.

Not really though, I'm actually re-reading Fear and Loathing; book makes me want to do crazy sh!t...

Grahamo999 wrote: »

Have one of Jeffory Archers older books to read next, his latest one was brill, and some book about Fritzil I've yet to start also!

LOL

That ross o carroll kelly book your talking about just has a similar title.

There is a book called "Curious Incident of the Dog in the night time" and its great piece of fiction!

Still have great respect for the ROCK series however.

Just started Obama's book. It's...well, it's very American. Obvioulsy a very intelligent and interesting man though.

Which one? He has two. "Dreams for my Father" and "The Audacity for Hope ".

I got both for xmas and im about half way through Dreams for my Father and its very good book. The guy has had a very interesting life!

cautioner wrote: »
    Not really though, I'm actually re-reading Fear and Loathing; book makes me want to do crazy sh!t...

I love the description of all the drug they have in the boot, when I first read it, I was all "I dont know what half of this stuff is!". I know now :D.

Didnt really like the film though, you really have to be in the right mood to watch a film like Fear and Loathing, I have a copy of it, so I'll get back to it some day.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

banjopaul wrote: »
    No, this, not this.

Haha, my bad! So is the Night-time one good?!!!

Advertisement