Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 World Snooker Championship (Mod Note Post One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It was 16/1 on Paddy Power, nowhere near 250/1. No chance you'd get those odds for any single snooker match. I mistakenly selected it and then changed my pick (when checking an accumulator) which was clearly a smart move.

Ronnie was interviewed there and was barely able to keep his eyes open.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Looked like he was going to collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

50/1 to win the whole thing now. I’ll be putting a nice few quid on Maguire in the next round, he’ll be good value against the Cahill hype-train who’s bound to be underpriced now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Just read there that Stephen Hendry's ex-wife is Cahill's aunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Ronnie played yesterday and today like he belonged on the Senior Tour, good enough for him. He completely threw the game away with bizarre shot choices, terrible play, and an uninterested demeanour. I've said it a few times, but he'll never lift the trophy in the Crucible again, he hasn't got the head for it anymore. Queue his retirement threats any moment :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That was his best performance at the Crucible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Inviere wrote: »
    Ronnie played yesterday and today like he belonged on the Senior Tour, good enough for him. He completely threw the game away with bizarre shot choices, terrible play, and an uninterested demeanour. I've said it a few times, but he'll never lift the trophy in the Crucible again, he hasn't got the head for it anymore. Queue his retirement threats any moment :rolleyes:

Sure he's lifted it enough times :)
    An amazing career, lets face it.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Sure he's lifted it enough times :)
    An amazing career, lets face it.

He's the GOAT for me. I love to watch him play, but jeez I can't listen to him speak. He 100% would love to lift it another two times, if he didn't or wasn't interested, he wouldn't be bothering to enter. Appaling standard from him yesterday and today though.

He's the GOAT for me. I love to watch him play, but jeez I can't listen to him speak. He 100% would love to lift it another two times, if he didn't or wasn't interested, he wouldn't be bothering to enter. Appaling standard from him yesterday and today though.

Oh I agree he is difficult to listen to, but I only follow him for the snooker to be honest and he's delivered all my favourite snooker moments over the years.

No doubt he would love to, but it is tricky as he knows more than any of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

For the Craic yesterday, I put €5 on Cahill to WIN the tournament @ 1000/1 . He is now 50/1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Nothing much against O'sullivan personally, unlike some, but not too downhearted that he's gone, for all we wont get the much anticipated trump qf match-up. Simply deserved to lose with the attitude he displayed all through, though had he not missed that pink at 8-8 you'd think he'd almost certainly have won. Not sure what to make of that drowsy, drop off at any minute post-match demeanour, doesnt particularly sound or look "ill" but you never know with him. Not a fan of that particular kind of drama. Fair play to Cahill, not that you can say he played particularly great overall, but proper cohones when it mattered. That brown in the last to get position on last red was phenomenal as was the red itself. I dont know if he's star material yet, but a young player with proper bottle and some talent is very welcome in this sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I love to watch him play, but jeez I can't listen to him speak. He 100% would love to lift it another two times, if he didn't or wasn't interested, he wouldn't be bothering to enter.

I've said before, if I was a serious snooker fan I'd find his schtick very tiresome. He seems to have been saying on and off for the last 15 years that he's fallen out of love with the game, this might be his last year etc. Yet he's still playing at 43...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Reading various headlines right now about the huge shock of Ronnie O'Sullivan getting beaten.What huge shock ?.He was awful and displayed a side of himself that has always been there during his career.
    We have heard the old cliche many times,"what Ronnie O'Sullivan is going to turn up"?.
    Brilliant player most of the time,awful player some of the time.

I've said before, if I was a serious snooker fan I'd find his schtick very tiresome. He seems to have been saying on and off for the last 15 years that he's fallen out of love with the game, this might be his last year etc. Yet he's still playing at 43...

In fairness hes been very positive as of late. Hes sick, and looks sick, from insomnia or something else.

Big blow for the tournament having (probably) the best player ever go out in round 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Graham1978 wrote: »
    For the Craic yesterday, I put €5 on Cahill to WIN the tournament @ 1000/1 . He is now 50/1

He was 50 to 1 to beat o Sullivan ya should have stuck the 5 on that

Reading various headlines right now about the huge shock of Ronnie O'Sullivan getting beaten.What huge shock ?.He was awful and displayed a side of himself that has always been there during his career.
    We have heard the old cliche many times,"what Ronnie O'Sullivan is going to turn up"?.
    Brilliant player most of the time,awful player some of the time.

Irrespective of sport, an amateur player knocking out the ranked best player is a shock, especially in the world's biggest tournament.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

sligeach wrote: »
    Eh sorry, John Virgo, Ronnie is not the greatest ever player.

Who is then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

This amateur stuff is a bit tiresome. He's not some club player who's living out a Hollywood movie dream. He's a pro who dropped off the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

sligeach wrote: »
    I'm delighted Ronnie is out. The fascination with him, particularly by the BBC is ridiculous. Easily the biggest shock ever. Embarrassing really from Ronnie's point of view. Delighted for Cahill.
    You said this same crap during last year's thread. Most of your Snooker posts are full of Ronnie criticism, which is fine, but the sheer quantity of it during the Worlds and Masters (the only times you post here) is at a level of trolling. Have you watched Ronnie at all this season in the ITV events or the UK Championship? He's reached 19 majors, 36 ranking titles, 1000 career centuries, and regained official #1 world ranking. He's been incredible.

Even the #1 ranked player in the world can have a bad day or two, as Mark Selby showed again and again when he was #1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

At least after today, the salivating and gushing over Ronnie will be over, and they can get on with the remaining 14 days.

You said this same crap during last year's thread. Most of your Snooker posts are full of Ronnie criticism, which is fine, but the sheer quantity of it during the Worlds and Masters (the only times you post here) is at a level of trolling. Have you watched Ronnie at all this season in the ITV events or the UK Championship? He's reached 19 majors, 36 ranking titles, 1000 career centuries, and regained official #1 world ranking. He's been incredible.

Even the #1 ranked player in the world can have a bad day or two, as Mark Selby showed again and again when he was #1.

Well we won't hear from him from the rest of the tournament so!

Interestingly Cahill beat Ronnie, Selby and Ding when they were all number 1.

Will be interesting to see if Ronnie shows up on Eurosport and what he has to say. If he's genuinely sick you might think we won't see him for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

zuutroy wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see if Ronnie shows up on Eurosport and what he has to say. If he's genuinely sick you might think we won't see him for a couple of days.

He could be part of their commentary/punditry panel for the rest of the tournament now. Wasn't he in previous years?

Passenger wrote: »
    He could be part of their commentary/punditry panel for the rest of the tournament now. Wasn't he in previous years?

Yes he's due to be, but I'm just wondering how quickly he'll spring back to health to take up his seat.

I don't get the delighted he is out stuff.

If you like watching snooker I can't understand how you could not enjoy watching Ronnie play.

An unbelievable talent. That possibly hasn't always given it his all, or whatever, but even with that to hold all the titles and records he does is even more amazing imo. All opinions I guess :)

zuutroy wrote: »
    Yes he's due to be, but I'm just wondering how quickly he'll spring back to health to take up his seat.

Money can be a wonderful medicine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I don't get the delighted he is out stuff.

If you like watching snooker I can't understand how you could not enjoy watching Ronnie play.

An unbelievable talent. That possibly hasn't always given it his all, or whatever, but even with that to hold all the titles and records he does is even more amazing imo. All opinions I guess :)

I have to agree. Ronnie is box office for the casual snooker fan and there will be less coverage of the event now that he's gone.

He brings that bit of excitement that most of the others can't match. It's all well and good watching Mark Williams playing Selby or Higgins but it won't get the ratings up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Pissartist wrote: »
    Who is then ?

It’s Hendry for me.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    It’s Hendry for me.

Ronnie has done things Hendry couldn't even dream of to be fair. The closest Hendry got to #1 at 43 years of age was a urinal just outside the commentary box. Ronnie has been elite far, far longer than Hendry was, and for me that makes the difference.

Hendry is an all time great, and there's merit in the discussion for sure. I think he's excellent as a commentator, was devastating in 90's, and raised the standard of the entire game. Ronnie has done all that too, for far longer though. He hasn't fizzled out, and barring this most recent showing, is still at the very top of the game almost 30 years after turning professional. Hendry did fizzle out after the 90's, whereas Ronnie has just kept going. The difference of two world titles is more than made up for considering the level of competition these days.

Advertisement