Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Idiot motorcyclists on the roads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wondering which continent the OP is in, given they mentioned overtaking on double yellow lines...

The majority of motorbike riders ride them like they're asking to be.

That's a complete load of dingo's kidneys.
    I said I don't if I'm going left (first exit).

Great, so the guy waiting to enter the roundabout at the first exit (from your POV) has to wait, because it looks like you're going to take the second exit. Roundabouts are supposed to help traffic flow, not hinder it because you are making other drivers play a guessing game in relation to WTF you are going to do next

Doesn't take much effort to flick an indicator ffs.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Isambard wrote: »
    nothing worse than getting pushed up a toad.

:confused::confused:

Could some explain this because I just don't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

theguzman wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

Could some explain this because I just don't get it

OP here, was typing on my phone, it likes to "correct" words for me, I meant road.

I also meant double white lines not yellow... Yeah Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Great, so the guy waiting to enter the roundabout at the first exit (from your POV) has to wait, because it looks like you're going to take the second exit. Roundabouts are supposed to help traffic flow, not hinder it because you are making other drivers play a guessing game in relation to WTF you are going to do next

Doesn't take much effort to flick an indicator ffs.

Nobody does it, which is why I don't. Long story but probably not for a thread on wreckless riding. There's a big difference between inconveniencing someone for 2 seconds on a roundabout and weaving through traffic at 200+ km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Today on the Sutton side of Howth Hill a group of S1000XR riders were "making progress" when a car pulled out of a side road. It was a near miss for the lead rider (car was at fault) but all the following riders proceeded to overtake the car on a solid white line leading into a blind sweeping left hand bend. I think this is the type of riding the OP is referring to. It gives motorcyclists a bad name.

Oh and I'm a bike owner and rider that rides five days a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Oh and I'm a bike owner and rider that rides five days a week.

Have yo ever cycled a bike though? Because there seems to be some link between people that have cycled at some point in their life and accusing others of misbehaving on the road.
    OP, are you a cyclist by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

tuxy wrote: »
    Have yo ever cycled a bike though? Because there seems to be some link between people that have cycled at some point in their life and accusing others of misbehaving on the road.

I haven’t cycled in nearly 20 years and I don’t ever have the intention of doing so for the rest of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If anything a cyclist would have a better understanding of the dangers motorcyclists face, as they face many of the same dangers but at a lower speed.

If someone wants to ride like a twat then let them, if they don't end up as a statistic then they'll at least go away once the weather goes to crap later in the year.

Any half decent motorcyclist will be aware of the dangers and want to get somewhere in one piece. Fortunately due to their size and speed you won't be around them too long. They'll either speed past or split you at a red light. Can't say the same for the twats who tailgated me on single lane national roads this weekend despite having very long, clear stretches to pass me...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Bloody motorcyclists! Think they own the road! Maybe they should introduce some kind of test for anyone who wants to ride a bike? Get them to pay Road tax and insurance! Then make sure they wear helmets and hi viz..that'll ensure they behave themselves!

Their are idiots in all walks of life..some ride bikes, some drive cars, some drive HGV's etc. etc. The best way to improve road safety is by better enforcement of all road traffic rules/laws for all road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I find them to be more skilled and have more awareness than most road users probably because they're enthusiasts unlike most car users. They're certainly one of the groups that cause less death and carnage to people other than themselves.

In Ireland they tend to obey most or the ROTR and behave impeccably and respectfully in built up areas where's there are kids and pedestrians. They seem to have their fun when the risks are entirely at their own expense.

I spent four days driving in Rome city last year and that was a different story :)

• Advertisement

Nobody does it

Not true

Competent and considerate drivers do it.

What do you gain from it? It's just lazy and inconsiderate.

Life ain't always empty.

Not true

Competent and considerate drivers do it.

What do you gain from it? It's just lazy and inconsiderate.

No, nobody does it.

No, nobody does it.

Most cars in my area do but far too many don't, possibly as high as 20%. Inconsiderate assholes.

You might as well not bother dipping your lights on an unlit road, sure it must be ok if some people don't bother :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

No, nobody does it.

Well thats just not true now, you're plucking more of your made up stats out of your arse. And its a bit rich of you coming on here complaining about other road users when you yourself have admitted to being an inconsiderate driver by deliberately not indicating on roundabouts

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Well thats just not true now, you're plucking more of your made up stats out of your arse. And its a bit rich of you coming on here complaining about other road users when you yourself have admitted to being an inconsiderate driver by deliberately not indicating on roundabouts

Inconsiderate in one minor instance, not dangerous. You lot will latch onto anything in an attempt to justify your dangerous riding. It's just one excuse after another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I find people that don't indicate at roundabouts tend to commit other driving transgressions because they have a lax attitude to rules in general like Oldmanbrennan.. Because that's only what he's fessed up to

McCrack wrote: »
    I find people that don't indicate at roundabouts tend to commit other driving transgressions because they have a lax attitude to rules in general like Oldmanbrennan.. Because that's only what he's fessed up to

Many people do things incorrectly because of ignorance but in his case he has made a conscious decision to inconvenience other drivers.

You're quite incorrect actually, but then again that won't stop you continuing your own brand of deflection and justification will it?

tuxy wrote: »
    Many people do things incorrectly because of ignorance but in his case he has made a conscious decision to inconvenience other drivers.

Way worse than all those motorbike riders weaving through traffic at 200 km/h 'by accident'. That couldn't possibly be a conscious decision at all.

Deflection deflection deflection.

• Advertisement

Yeah theres something in that alright, once you let one bad habit in then more bad habits follow. Not indicating on roundabouts is just plain being a pr1ck and completely inconsiderate. In fact I remember we had a poster on here last year who said he does it deliberately because he gets enjoyment out of looking at peoples pissed off faces when he forced them to step on the brakes over him not indicating. I put those people in the same category as drivers who deliberately take up two parking spaces because they're more important than everyone else, complete wankbags on the road who just make it more stressful for everyone else. They're the real life equivalent of a troll, they take enjoyment in winding other people up.

Way worse than all those motorbike riders weaving through traffic at 200 km/h 'by accident'. That couldn't possibly be a conscious decision at all.

Deflection deflection deflection.

You're the one deflecting, you got called out on your inconsiderate and prickish driving and now you're trying to point the finger at others while feebly attempting to claim the moral high ground. Theres a word in the english language for that type of behaviour- its called hypocrisy

You're the one deflecting, you got called out on your inconsiderate and prickish driving and now you're trying to point the finger at others while feebly attempting to claim the moral high ground. Theres a word in the english language for that type of behaviour- its called hypocrisy

That's not quite true, instead of getting called out on the one thing you lot just decided to make up the rest. And still nothing on what motorbike riders get up to, because it's easier to fabricate things and attack someone than to front up to any of that.

That's not quite true, instead of getting called out on the one thing you lot just decided to make up the rest. And still nothing on what motorbike riders get up to, because it's easier to fabricate things and attack someone than to front up to any of that.

No-one on this thread is defending any road user, biker or otherwise, of doing 200kmh. But you're on this thread trying to defend your inconsiderate and prickish driving. You're the one who has admitted to not indicating on a roundabout "because no-one does it" :rolleyes: Well how wrong you are because many of us take pride in being a good driver while you clearly don't. You got called out on it and now you're in a huff and trying desperately to point the finger at others. You're wrong here and you're the only one who can't see it. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

This one is hard to call for me, I know a fair few bikers quite well them being very good friends and while they do tend to push the limits and break the law from time to time, they are experienced and do so in a way which does not put others at risk, as much sense as that makes.

On the other hand there are indeed clowns about, another very good friend had the misfortune of hitting two bikers head on coming around a bend of a fast road on the wrong side, if he had not had bull bars on the vehicle he was in he would have been killed on the spot.

I've nothing against bikers pushing the limits as long as they do it in such a way which does not blatantly endanger others.

Ah jaysus, bull bars, something designed to injure other road users.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

Ah jaysus, bull bars, something designed to injure other road users.

I take your point, and I know that there is a lot of debate about them.

That said, the accident report stated that the two lads were doing well in excess of 100 mph when they collided, they came around a bend on the wrong side of the road and hit the other vehicle which was traveling at 60 mph, there was little or no time for anyone to brake. The guards at least were in no doubt that the driver would have been killed if not for the the bull bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

But I have to say, the level of absolute insane driving I’ve seen from some bikers this weekend is shocking. Overtaking on double yellows around bends on main roads, others well in excess of 100mph on motorways, overtaking and undertaking, general dangerous driving, tailgating, pushing cars up the toad. Just shocking.

What a generalisation and as a "former biker", you're a worse ambassador for bikers with the thread title than those riders you mentioned. Please don't claim to be a biker again, you're not.

You could be describing any type of driver or rider here. Why don't you all go look at the dashcams thread where boardies love to show us poor driving and show me any bikers on it, there's none, it's full of your fellow car drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

zubair wrote: »
    What a generalisation and as a "former biker", you're a worse ambassador for bikers with the thread title than those riders you mentioned. Please don't claim to be a biker again, you're not.

You could be describing any type of driver or rider here. Why don't you all go look at the dashcams thread where boardies love to show us poor driving and show me any bikers on it, there's none, it's full of your fellow car drivers.

Note the all important word in the OP - SOME. That does not mean ALL or even MOST of the bikers he encountered were acting the maggot. Are you honestly trying to tell me you've never encountered a number of arsehole bikers on a nice sunny day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The Bronze kill our pride.

Advertisement