Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Do get a bit fed up of TheJournal.ie sometimes. That said, their sports section has some excellent articles - am I'm don't read much sports coverage or really watch it, in general.

Howyiz.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It was essentially a sports journal that delved into the world of news (rather unsuccessfully imo).

This thread needs to be dusted off a bit. Mods bit of a spring clean please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I suggest a diffuser - lemongrass & cedarwood preferably

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Mhoree brandy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Panthro on the sauce last night??? :)

• Advertisement

It's 2019 so I'm now recommending one of the water based essential oil, electric diffusers

Got one for the gaff and it's a game changer

Absolutely glorious day out. Ara it's too hot. I'd to walk me dog in the woods. Poor thing couldn't take the heat.
    4day weekends are amazing I've decided!

D'Agger wrote: »
    It's 2019 so I'm now recommending one of the water based essential oil, electric diffusers

Got one for the gaff and it's a game changer

Did they diffuse the situations?!

Panthro wrote: »
    Did they diffuse the situations?!
    Depends on the situation but Lavendar has been known to end hostilities

Rewatching Men behaving badly.
    They umm wouldn't get away with the jokes in today's world!
    Harry Enfields so young looking. Martin Clune hasn't aged.

• Advertisement

Martin Clune hasn't aged.

In that he looked just as old then as he does now.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I see what ye did. Thread resucitated on Easter Sunday

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    In that he looked just as old then as he does now.:D

That could be more correct alright!
    He's a new show where he's a driving instructor. Watched the first episode. It's not the worst.

Barna77 wrote: »
    I see what ye did. Thread resucitated on Easter Sunday

In a way... I'm jesus..!

I've watched all of 'Barry' in a few days - well worth checking out, some great humour in it.

I've watched Can't Cope won't cope....

And now I'm leaving the Internet!!

Happy Friday beer ó clock oww!

Holiday, celebrate!

Ya on the hols?

yes

The sweet moment when you create an out of the office email reply :)

• Advertisement

Haha! Nice! Working myself this week then the 4days of the following week booked off.
    Get a right go at that bank Holiday!

How do gents feel about kindles? I'm disappointed with how little I read and in stereotypical male fashion I'm assuming a gadget will change that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How do gents feel about kindles? I'm disappointed with how little I read and in stereotypical male fashion I'm assuming a gadget will change that

I was skeptical but I have since been converted. What sold it for me was the dictionary. Just tap a word and you get the definition. Then there's having all your books on it, the phone app and saving space. Battery lasts a good while now as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

No.
    Handy as it may be to save space and trees, can't beat turning book pages

It is all I use anymore. I haven't read an actual paper book in years.

The one issue I have with the kindle is the price of books. I was one for libraries and second hand bookshops in my pre kindle life so was not used to spending full price. That said there are forums on boards that highlight special offers so I normally stock up when they are cheap.

Agree re dictionary. It is very handy.

I was always a reader though so getting the kindle was a natural progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I had stopped reading them until I got one a few years back. Since then, I read fairly regularly again.

Easy to get books, cheaper, and the sheer convenience of it all makes me recommend it to pretty much everyone. Its hard to go back to regular books once you do.

You can customise font, brightness etc, and the backlight is really nicely done. So it feels very different to reading on say an iPad.

I have the kindle in my work backpack at all times tbh, and read a few pages when travelling or stopped on my own for lunch.

Makes it far easier to have multiple books on the go at once too, as its a fairly simple interface to jump between recently read books and go back to exactly where you were.

You can also quickly jump to locations, chapters etc, and bookmark and highlight pieces for easier reference.

So yeah, I'm a big fan. Just make sure you get one with an inbuilt backlight, like the paperwhite.

They should bring out the Dr Richard Kindle.
    That'd be sweet.
    (don't own one so can't comment!)

They should bring out the Dr Richard Kindle.
    That'd be sweet.
    (don't own one so can't comment!)
    Tindle - where you match with people reading the same book as you for a conversation starter*

*Patent Pending

• Advertisement

"Bringing Bookworms together"

Aww yeahhh

Advertisement