Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Someone said it perfectly in the other thread, it looks like a giant fridge magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    But how would you know who it's made by then? :D

Yes, they are a clever bunch aren't they

hqdefault.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it's so garish and ridiculous that it's beyond ridicule.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think it's so garish and ridiculous that it's beyond ridicule.

A thumbs down so hard that it wraps around the earth and comes back as a thumbs up? :P

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

FFS I'm getting it on pre-order now!
    Such is my need to go against the grain.

Hopefully it comes with two wall frames and I'll add some pink flexi neons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Stoner wrote: »
    FFS I'm getting it on pre-order now!
    Such is my need to go against the grain.

Hopefully it comes with two wall frames and I'll add some pink flexi neons

You absolute monster :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Capcom thing reminded me they did release a home unit before.

kYOUk.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System
    The CP System hardware was also utilized in Capcom's unsuccessful attempt at home console market penetration, the CPS Changer, a domestic version of the CP System similar to the Neo-Geo AES.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At least neo Geo carts were.... Carts. The capcom version was just a CPS 2 board!

Master of the Universe

Yeah it really was a ridiculous system - it's basically just a supergun. I think you can hack them to use regular CPS2 boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Nice feature on the best game ever. ;)

The guy hasn't the best voice for broadcasting but its an entertaining breakdown.

• Advertisement

A Super Mario Bros port has been released on the Commodore 64!

smb-64.gif

Can't share the download link on here obviously. Heres all the info:
    DESCRIPTION

This is a Commodore 64 port of the 1985 game SUPER MARIO BROS. for the Famicom and Nintendo Entertainment System. It contains the original version that was released in Japan and United States, as well as the European version. It also detects and supports a handful of turbo functionalities, and has 2 SID support.

CONTENTS

The disk-image contains 2 programs:

SUPER M. BROS.64 - the game (everything in one file)
    SMB.64 DOCS - this manual

A cartridge-file is also provided. It only contains the game and can be used with a C64GS.

VSP (VARIABLE SCREEN POSITIONING)

This port relies on the VSP-technique for scrolling. If you experience crashes while playing the game, this is most likely the issue. You may find out if your computer is prone to crashing by running VSP Lab.

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=120810

If this is the case, there are a number of things to try (some options cheaper than others):

- Try another C64.
    - Use an emulator instead.
    - Use a C64 Reloaded motherboard - they are designed to be VSP-safe.
    - Use a Turbo Chameleon - because of how it works, VSP glitches will not alter the Chameleons memory, thus preventing the game from crashing. This port will also benefit from its turbo functionality.

OPTION MENU

Before the game starts, an option menu will let you:

- select a version of the game.
    - disable turbo (if detected).
    - configure a second SID-chip.
    - see the background (based on Shigeru Miyamotos artwork that was used for the Japanese and European release).

The option menu is (just like this manual) controlled using a joystick (or gamepad) in either control port.

The details of these options will now be described.

VERSIONS AND TIMING

The original game was released in two versions:

- Japanese/US-release - the original for NTSC, 60 Hz video systems.

- European-release - adjusted for PAL, 50 Hz video systems.

This port will try to run the game at the intended speed (as well as having the sound in the correct pitch); this means you can play either version on any type of C64. It also means that the Japanese/US-release will not play 20% slower on a PAL-system. Likewise, the European-release will not play 20% faster on an NTSC-system.

The program will automatically detect your hardware (including any turbo functionality). Based on this, it will suggest the best version for you.

The reasoning behind the suggested version is as follows:

- If you play on a stock C64 (PAL, Drean or any NTSC) without any turbo functionality, the European-release will give you the least slowdowns, since the original game-engine is tuned for a 50 Hz refresh-rate which uses less CPU-cycles per second than the original Japanese/US-release.

- If turbo functionality is detected, the version aimed for your video-system will give you the smoothest scrolling. This means: Japanese/US-release on any NTSC C64, European-release on PAL and Drean C64.

You can override the suggested version, if you wish.

COMPATIBILITY AND TURBO

VSP issues aside, this port should be able to run on all regional C64 models. PAL, NTSC (new and old) and Drean (PAL-N) are all supported.

Since the NES-processor is clocked (roughly 70%) faster than a stock C64 there can be slowdowns during gameplay. A pixel indicates this on the time-watch graphics in the status bar.

This port will try to detect and use any kind of turbo functionality, such as:

- Commodore 128 (2 MHz in the border)
    - C64 DTV
    - Schnedler Systems Turbo Master CPU (untested)
    - Swisscomp Turbo Processor (untested)
    - Rossmoeller Flash 8 (untested)
    - CMD SuperCPU Accelerator (untested)
    - Icomp Turbo Chameleon 64

You can disable the detected turbo functionality if you experience problems with it enabled (or wish to see how the game performs without it).

2 SID SUPPORT

- This port emulates 4 channels of the NES APU (audio processing unit): 2 pulse channels, 1 triangle channel and 1 noise channel. The SID-chip has 3 voices, so this is handled by sharing 1 SID-voice for the triangle and noise channel.

- If a second SID-chip is configured, the program will instead dedicate 2 APU-channels to each SID-chip.

- In the option menu you are able to configure and test your SID-setup. You can use the following addresses for the second SID-chip: $D420, $D500, $DE00 and $DF00.

- In the test you should be able to hear 2 tones being played simultaneously for 2 seconds. The first tone has a lower pitch and fades out. The second tone has a higher pitch and fades in.

- If a second SID-chip has been configured, the higher pitched tone should be playing on that SID, otherwise they will both be playing on the first SID.

CONTROLLERS

The game is controlled using joystick (or gamepad) in either control port and supports 2 button joysticks (using POT X, like the C64GS joystick).

The joystick used to start a game will control Mario. If a 2 player game is selected, the other joystick will control Luigi.

You can press F1 or F3 to toggle between the 4 modes for control port 1 or 2 respectively. A message on the screen will display what mode you have selected. These modes are:

Mode 1 - Up > Jump (Default)

Mode 2 - Up > Jump, buttons swapped

Mode 3 - Standard

Mode 4 - Standard, buttons swapped

The mapping scheme is by default setup for 1 button joysticks, where pushing up will trigger jumping (and swimming).

On the C64, this is the most common way to control your character in platform games. Examples: Bubble Bobble, The Great Giana Sisters, Mayhem in Monsterland, Turrican, Wonder Boy.

If you have a joystick which supports 2 individual buttons, the second button will also trigger jumping (and swimming) in mode 1 and 3.

Depending on the physical layout of your joystick, you can change the control scheme to swap the action of the buttons (mode 2 and 4) so that they correspond physically with a NES-controller.

Reference of a NES-controller:

- The A-button (placed to the right) is jump (and swim)

- The B-button (placed to the left) is throw fireballs (and accelerate)

For 2 button joysticks it is also possible to use mode 3 and 4 which disables the UP > Jump-mapping. Do not use these modes on 1 button joysticks as you will not be able to either jump or throw fireballs.

KEY DESCRIPTION

<- - Exit to title-screen (during a game)

RUN/STOP - Pause game

F1 - Toggle joystick mode for control port 1

F3 - Toggle joystick mode for control port 2

F5 - Decrease SID volume (on some 6581 SID-chips the audio can sound distorted on the highest volume)

F7 - Increase SID volume

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Must try this on the C64 mini later

The OSSC has been cloned by the usual lads from China, however not all is well it seems. There's some questions regarding the safety of the PSU, raised by Videogame perfection, the official retailers. Whether this is a legitimate concern I can't say, here's their statement
    https://www.videogameperfection.com/2019/04/19/about-bootleg-osscs/
    And a link to the clones
    € 128,90 16%OFF | OSSC HDMI Converter Kit for Retro Game Console PlayStation 1 2 / Xbox one 360 / Atari Series / Dreamcast / Sega Series and so on
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/3FCCkcY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Can't remember if I linked this a few months back, but the CPS stick is a treasure.
    This one was given to BrianVonDoom (DoctorDoom) at Celtic Throwdown.

timktllcx0j11.jpg

Also has the greatest fanpage ever:
    http://www.pipitan.com/cpsf.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, these days, how easy is it to turn a 360 region free?
    I've one or two spare here and there's a certain Raiden Fighters Aces I'd love to be able to play!

And now I want one of those CPS sticks too!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And now I want one of those CPS sticks too!

It's called a 'Capcom Power Stick' if you're looking for one. Main one has a Snes controller port. There's a much rarer megadrive one too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fighter-Power-Stick-Controller-by-Capcom-for-Super-Nintendo-Console-Game-System/143221861979?hash=item2158b02e5b:g:1JoAAOSwQ0RcukVD

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The megadrive one seems to be way more expensive.

Wait till October when their new beauty comes out, relegating this old boot to silver medal status.

Good luck!

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's called a 'Capcom Power Stick' if you're looking for one. Main one has a Snes controller port. There's a much rarer megadrive one too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fighter-Power-Stick-Controller-by-Capcom-for-Super-Nintendo-Console-Game-System/143221861979?hash=item2158b02e5b:g:1JoAAOSwQ0RcukVD

Check out the frequency bought together on the bottom of that ad

That stick, complete copy of earthbound and super Mario world haha

• Advertisement

So, these days, how easy is it to turn a 360 region free?
    I've one or two spare here and there's a certain Raiden Fighters Aces I'd love to be able to play!

No progress since the days of RGH, so you'll still need to get the soldering iron out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Would anyone know where to get protective sleeves for vinyls, similar to the ones used for game boxes? I'd like to stick my vinyls to the wall and it's easier to put 3M strips on them that put up a bunch of the command hooks to hold them on. Any in Dublin if possible?

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Would anyone know where to get protective sleeves for vinyls, similar to the ones used for game boxes? I'd like to stick my vinyls to the wall and it's easier to put 3M strips on them that put up a bunch of the command hooks to hold them on. Any in Dublin if possible?

You won't get similar ones to the ones used for gameboxes I think. Just the normal transparent plastic sleeves you see in record shops.
    You can get picture frames for vinyl alright but you wouldn't want to be playing the record you put it in as it would be fiddly to take out and put back in.

I'm after getting back into vinyl again lately, just ordered a Reloop direct drive DJ turntable from eBay in the last hour!

It has usb and selectable phono/line out. I'm going to compare the quality of 3 output options when it comes as the ADC converters are probably cheap in the built in ones.

And possibly the built in preamp is cheap also. I can always buy am external pre amp afterwards and use the phono out.

Still though it's probably the best turntable one can get for 130 second hand, as the headhsell can take a wide range of needles from cheap DJ ones to the ridiculously expensive!

As I posted over on the Nintendo forum, Virtua Racing is out on the Switch!
    It came out yesterday on the Japanese eshop.
    And it's possibly the most arcade perfect version of the game, though naturally gameplay is affected due to the small matter of no steering wheel or foot pedals!
    It's very crisp and smooth, but it is the arcade game, so no extra tracks, as seen in the Saturn and 32X ports.
    There seem to be a couple of options yet to be filled, so maybe some secrets to be found yet.
    Comparing the Switch version with the arcade original suggests it's not only an accurate port, but improved in significant areas, such as an absence of pop-in in rendering track features in the distance.

Switch

Arcade

Virtua Racing uses a quad renderer... maybe we will get some model 2/3 and more importantly Saturn ports?

A such as an absence of pop-in in rendering track features in the distance.

I wouldn't quite say absence,

So it seems this release of Virtua Racing had quite the interesting development.

Originally M2 were thinking of porting the 32X version of the game to 3DS for the 3D classics line but it got scraped when that line of games ended. They have some development pictures of that build up.

Then on switch they wanted to port the arcade version but couldn't find the source code. They had a big search of the archives and found some interesting stuff but no source code.

Eventually Reiko Kodama asked around her old developer colleagues and found a friend who kept the source code for the Virtua Formula release of the game. It was still based on the Virtua Racing source code so M2 worked back from that code to build this release.

Apparently it runs in 60 FPS unlike the 30 FPS of the arcade.

Also can there be any more reasons not to love Reiko Kodama?

To see Model 2 games on Switch would be fantastic, from Daytona to Manx TT Superbike, SCUD Race to that tank game that wasn't half bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Apparently it runs in 60 FPS unlike the 30 FPS of the arcade.

Could be the new definitive way to play the game?

• Advertisement

Maybe a Nintendo Labo VR version... or a rear view mirror mode using a second Switch... Hmm....

Advertisement