Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ionity charging network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

unkel wrote: »
    You're a funny man, Mad_Lad :p

A raw deal for a charging network that actually enables people in EVs to confidently drive cross country way beyond the range of their cars, knowing they can reliably and quickly charge their car with no waiting time for just €8? Doesn't look like a raw deal to me. And that's coming from someone who owns the smallest battery that you can buy in any EV today.

Have to agree. I'd pay twice that rate for a fast reliable stress free journey.

Not funny , small battery v large battery same cost, makes no sense. Yes for BEV owners I can see where 8 Euro V queue and that's fine but still, same price for all......

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Not funny , small battery v large battery same cost, makes no sense. Yes for BEV owners I can see where 8 Euro V queue and that's fine but still, same price for all......

The €8 is a promotional fee while they figure out the correct way to charge. If it helps, think of it as an €8 connection with free electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

At current prices that's equivalent cost-wise to about 5.5 litres of petrol. That's not a bad deal, especially if you've a bigger battery than probably a L24 (which can't use these anyway).

The auld Civic IMA does about 105km for €8 (at 5.3L/100km), but the Ioniq should do close to double.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Honestly I would pay €80 for a charge if there was a nationwide network of very fast reliable chargers with zero waiting times the few times a year I would use it. The rest of the year I'm paying €0.00 per km (charging from my solar panels) or €0.01 per km (charging at night rate). Overall still 80-90% cheaper than the most frugal diesel or "self charging" petrol ever made...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

Here’s a screen shot from charge session on Ionity Cashel over the weekend.
    My Starting SOC was 30%, seems charge rate is 64 kW average until this point at least .
    Bout 15 degrees at time of charge .
    Car is Ioniq.
    64 kw isn’t bad at all !

14.58 Kwh in 13 mins not bad at all . The warmer weather definitely helps with charging too. I've seen a big decrease in charge times with the i3. Might try this out over the weekend.

So how do you pay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

get the app, setup an account and scan the machines barcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

I had a bit of trouble , took me 40 min plus to pay . See post above on Friday PM. Eventually got there by creating a PayPal account and using that . That said, likey others will not do what I did , I guess why I posted my experience. I was using BOI cards

Many public car parks in Cork have contactless , shame to see new and doubtless expensive equipment like this without a contactless option.
    If you get stuck advise try as a guest in the app .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Gorey seems to be under construction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,299 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Gorey seems to be under construction.
    It is listed as "building" here
    https://ionity.eu/en/where-and-how.html

Wonder if that's in the new services

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The ionity tracker put it as under construction around 1 hour ago. Cashel was "under construction" for 127 days but that did involve the Christmas break.

https://ionity.evapi.de/#/

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Could not find any planning application for one in Gorey (though I have no idea if planning is required for all of them), and on the original map of all the chargers going in across Europe, it didn't look like they had any in Wexford at all (of course this could have just been a rough guess, and the Cashel one wasn't too accurate on that map). Also no petrol stations around where that pin drop is on the map. Any chance it's a mistake and they were aiming for Gormanston on the map I wonder?

Either way, awesome that a second one is building wherever it is in Ireland!

Got to hand it to the Germans. Last year they said they'd have 9 Irish charging stations by the end of this year, and it looks like we're well on the way. Not sure how much trouble they have had along the way with planning permissions from local objectors though.

I wish someone would think about the M9 lol

Maybe in the garage around Kilcullen if it ever gets built .......

We need them on all the main motorways between Dublin and all other cities. M1, M4, M7, M8, M9, etc.

Yeah but the M9/N7 is poorly served at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Ionity applied for planning on the N7 at kill a few weeks ago. Circle k stations 6 bays northbound and southbound planning number 19387 and 19379.

Yeah but the M9/N7 is poorly served at the moment.

All the motorways and many other national roads are poorly served with those silly single ESB chargers that are used / broken half the time :p

For full national coverage we would need at least about 30-40 of these stations, but I'll gladly take the 9 for now. Can't wait to give the first one a go.

D_BEAR wrote: »
    Ionity applied for planning on the N7 at kill a few weeks ago. Circle k stations 6 bays northbound and southbound planning number 19387 and 19379.

That would be good, M9/N7 looks like one of the worse served for EV's.

• Advertisement

So there's 5 now? One active, one being built, two more with planning approved and this latest one with planning applied for?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

ELM327 wrote: »
    It is listed as "building" here
    https://ionity.eu/en/where-and-how.html

Wonder if that's in the new services

Looks two exits after the new services. That would make it exit 23. I didn’t see any construction at the new services last week but they also maybe didn’t start. As well as that the Esb has another spot already for an additional charger in the future at that service station.

Guess what I saw at the Ionity charger today ?

vLbTutU.jpg

vB4xhCD.jpg

Ee7blEP.jpg

a2zEv3A.jpg

xUCbyJ4.jpg

This is a disaster, it took the Chap ages to get connected. Ionity cable too short and charge port in a stupid location, was hard enough for me in the i3.

Lovely car very expensive and I'm not a fan of touch screens, BMW i3 Idrive is brilliant !

The i3 screen is up more towards eye level the e-tron you would have to look down, not a great design but I'd have to sit in and drive it to make a decision on that.

The Man was an employee of Audi Ireland HQ, Paddy, Whom I thank for letting me take the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭KCross

With Ionity being part funded by VAG you would think they would have got the cable length and/or port position right.

Right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing!

Regarding the ionity chargers ? pain in the ass, took me 15 mins to get it working, had to contact the helpline , would not activate the charging. Really horrible in the rain and wind and it was cold ! The Girl in Austria remote activated another charger.

Tip, get the swipe card , seems to work. The phone activation does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

This is a disaster, it took the Chap ages to get connected. Ionity cable too short and charge port in a stupid location, was hard enough for me in the i3.

I’m very surprised by this... Audi have a big involvement in Ionity, and you’d have thought that the cables would be specified with the charge-port location on the E-Tron in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Tip, get the swipe card , seems to work

How do you do that? I didn’t find anything about that on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭denismc

That is one dirty touchscreen!

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    How do you do that? I didn’t find anything about that on the website.

The Girl told me that my BMW Dealer will provide this to me. The Audi HQ Employee had an ionity swipe card this is how he activated the charger.

So to all those using ionity chargers at this time, phone activation does not work.

If charging does not work first time don't waste time fiddling about just call the help line.

Get on to your dealers to get the ionity cards.

Advertisement