Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HKC VS Siemens App Discussion Stickey Temp

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If that's all it is they are very late to the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

They say it is multi panel capable

Siemens, Visonic etc etc

I want to see what deals are on offer it its a tie to their ARC

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Eccentric Toast

Would anyone be able to recommend a Siemens/SPC installer?

It's a new build with the house prewired but the detached garage is not. Im guessing that means I need a hybrid system. I'm looking for self monitored with an app that can be used to arm/disarm it. Home automation integration would be nice but not a necessity.

It was a battle between HKC and Siemens but from what I've researched I think Siemens was the better choice for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

get in touch with Kool Kid on here. He looked after me well.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I see the HKC app increase is back on the agenda.
    Going for the softly softly approach. To €5.58 from June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Yes, a letter to all the installers sent out today. Customers won`t like this, its already hard to sell an APP with an annual cost

The commission is a joke. Installers get a percentage of the increase.
    Its a hard up lad who would be selling this for a percentage of 49c.

After the reaction to the €2 increase 'I imagine this will be more a slippery slope like Nexflix.
    I've said it from the start with all these style models. The only way is up.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Would anyone be able to recommend a Siemens/SPC installer?

Have you found anyone?

I've tried 8 places and not one of them do it. 7 of them said they wouldn't do anything other than HKC. 1 mentioned an Agility 3 alarm or something along those lines.

A lot of them said they wouldn't trust the Siemens one as it has to remain in contact with an external server. Is this true?

I'm sure the HKC system is solid but it looks mank, seems outdated, and appears to be pretty costly.

A lot of them said they wouldn't trust the Siemens one as it has to remain in contact with an external server. Is this true?

They all remain in contact with an external server. That's how the apps work.
    However Siemens Vanderbilt is the only one that let's you bypass this and connect directly to the panel if you so wish.
    Sounds like another example of an installer who wants you to buy what he wants not what you want. Shop around.
    Where are you located?
    If you contact some of your local suppliers they would be able to tell you who is buying! Installing Siemens /Vanderbilt.

KoolKid wrote: »
    They all remain in contact with an external server. That's how the apps work.
    However Siemens Vanderbilt is the only one that let's you bypass this and connect directly to the panel if you so wish.

Ah I see, thanks for the clarification.
    Where are you located?

South Meath.
    If you contact some of your local suppliers they would be able to tell you who is buying! Installing Siemens /Vanderbilt.

Not sure I can even find local suppliers :D

• Advertisement

Sent you a PM of a company that should be able to look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RonnieRoz

Hi Koolkid, could you please PM someone for a wireless install in Kildare (I have an existing hard wired alarm but is giving off false alarms, 17 years old) so I presume wireless is my only option. Just reading back through the posts you seem to know what you are talking about!

Self monitored with ability to use an app if possible

Thanks!!!

Quick question about the Vanderbilt system, I see that there are wireless components available. Is the system capable of hybrid connections. So, the perimeter will be wired but have wireless internal sensors?

You can. But they don't have wireless shock sensors.

You can. But they don't have wireless shock sensors.

That's fine only interested in wireless motion detectors. I doubt they can sync with wireless cameras either? Can't find anything that says they do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Duit

We recently bought a house that doesn't have an alarm. We would be interested in something like that:

- Wireless, perimeter security (in windows with shock sensors)
    - Motion detectors (PIR with or without cameras)
    - Keypad with the potential to disarm and arm with tags (for cleaners and visitors)
    - monitored (via company)
    - communication via WIFI and GSM (both)
    - panic button
    - possibility to connect smoke alarms and other detectors (gas, CO2, etc)
    - frequent pooling (your advise is welcome)

What would you recommend? Anything else that might be missing?

Thank you for your support!

Of the systems I know GSD would be the one that would best suit all your needs there.
    Fast polling leaves HKC out. You only get notified of connection fails after 5 hours or 90 minutes on their premium connection.
    GSD can be set as low as 5 minutes but with standard central station monitoring charges you can be contacted within 15 minutes of total comms fails.
    Siemens Vanderbilt have very fast polling also but they don't have any wireless shock sensors which you would need for accessible windows and doors.
    The rest of your requirements would be standard on all systems really.

Of the systems I know GSD would be the one that would best suit all your needs there.
    Fast polling leaves HKC out. You only get notified of connection fails after 5 hours or 90 minutes on their premium connection.
    GSD can be set as low as 5 minutes but with standard central station monitoring charges you can be contacted within 15 minutes of total comms fails.
    Siemens Vanderbilt have very fast polling also but they don't have any wireless shock sensors which you would need for accessible windows and doors.
    The rest of your requirements would be standard on all systems really.

Thank you for your quick response Koolkid! I was having a look at GSD and looks cool but I can't find any installer in Dublin. Any recommendation? (PM if required)

There are plenty. Contact GSD (01) 524 2691 & they will put you in contact with installers in your area.

There are plenty. Contact GSD (01) 524 2691 & they will put you in contact with installers in your area.

Brilliant! Will do so! Thank you very much for your support!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 vbhagaur

Hey guys, i just wanted to get an idea around whats the right amount when it comes to installation of say a HKC or Resco system in a 4 bed terraced house prewired for security system.

The estimate i got are around 1000-1200 euros. This is before 150-200 for GSM kit install separately.
    Like discussed here at length for HKC i am being asked to pay 9.99 per month for self monitoring (+8 for the app thats one time so dont mind that) and 12 per month for Resco.

The panel suggested are Resco Lightsys 2 and HKC SW10270.

You guys think these prices are what you expect these to be? Thanks in advance.

Those prices are a little confusing. At the moment HKCs pricing is :

SecureComm Service Level
    Standard - €4.99 per month (Incl. VAT)
    Managed World SIM
    Unlimited App control + notifications
    SMS control + notifications, fair usage limit 50 messages per month
    (* Alarm activations only)
    Monitoring to Central Station
    (GSM-SC Only)
    Loss of connectivity to site detected within 5 hours

Premium - €7.00 per month (Incl. VAT)
    Managed World SIM
    Unlimited App control + notifications
    SMS control + notifications, fair usage limit 100 messages per month
    (* Alarm activations only)
    Voice dialler notifications
    Monitoring to Central Station
    (GSM-SC Only)
    Loss of connectivity reported to central station
    (GSM-SC Only)
    Loss of connectivity to site detected within 90 min

Are you getting something extra on the Risco LightSYS?
    Their standard app is free to use. Apps free to download also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 vbhagaur

I agree 100%, they are confusing.
    I am not getting anything else with Risco either, just had 12 euros in case of self monitoring as quoted below. The app is free to use thats for sure...

Option 1 – Self monitoring - This is where we install the GSM onto the system and you
    download the app onto your smart phones. This allows you to control and monitor the system
    remotely via the app. Also in the event of an activation you will receive notification of a
    system activation. You can log in and see where the activation occurred etc. you then decide
    how you want to respond to this, whether you turn off and reset or notify someone to check
    up.
    Costs for this option:
    1 x GSM Communicator (supplied and fitted, once off payment) - €100.00 inc vat
    1 x GSM Annual Sim Fee - €12 inc vat per month - PAID BY Direct Debit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Those monthly charges seema bit high. Have you shopped around?

PS: @Koolkid, I went for a self-install in the end along with some help from a spark for the fused spur. Very happy with the Vanderbilt. It's a class system.

Am I right in reading that the Vanderbilt system needs a hard wired internet connection? It can't work off Wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭soSolid

I have the LAN connection on mine connected to a wireless bridge which connects to the house wifi and it works fine.

soSolid wrote: »
    I have the LAN connection on mine connected to a wireless bridge which connects to the house wifi and it works fine.

Like a TP Link plugged into a wall socket? There are no sockets near where our control panel would go though :(

Like a TP Link plugged into a wall socket? There is no sockets near where our control panel would go though :(

I know there's a wireless module for the SPC but it's for wireless contacts etc and not for wifi connectivity. You could run a long Cat5/6 cable from the panel to somewhere that has a plug and use a TP Link type module there? I'm lucky as I have a 13A socket right beside the panel...

soSolid wrote: »
    I know there's a wireless module for the SPC but it's for wireless contacts etc and not for wifi connectivity. You could run a long Cat5/6 cable from the panel to somewhere that has a plug and use a TP Link type module there? I'm lucky as I have a 13A socket right beside the panel...

Yeh, I could, but then I'd be dealing with the missus and her rage every time she comes in and out the door :D

Will probably need to look at GSD instead as it seems to have WiFi connectivity.

• Advertisement

Yeh, I could, but then I'd be dealing with the missus and her rage every time she comes in and out the door :D

Will probably need to look at GSD instead as it seems to have WiFi connectivity.

@Koolkid knows more about this than I do

Advertisement