Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local Link unscheduled stop

• 13-04-2019 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭

Just been announced a new local link service through my area. 183 Glendalough to Wicklow. There are no stops though between Ashford and Roundwood and I'm about half way between both. Do you think the driver would stop/pick up for me? It's about 4 miles each way to either village.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's a Local Link, I think they're supposed to be door to door. Call them up and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

My neighbour has written letter after letter pleading with LocalLink to stop at the crossroads nearest her house. Like yourself she would have a 3 or 4 mile trip to nearest stop and doesn't drive but it has fallen on deaf ears. She does not expect it to stop outside her house and is willing to walk half a mile to a crossroads that is on the current route but is continually being refused.
    Great service but needs a bit of flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

It's a Local Link, I think they're supposed to be door to door. Call them up and ask.

That's the ring a link, not local link.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

arctictree wrote: »
    Just been announced a new local link service through my area. 183 Glendalough to Wicklow. There are no stops though between Ashford and Roundwood and I'm about half way between both. Do you think the driver would stop/pick up for me? It's about 4 miles each way to either village.
    I used the local link in my county for the first time last week. He stopped a few places along the road to let people out. I asked him to let me out before the scheduled stop and saved myself a 20 min walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I thought some local links were demand based dial a ride type services whereas others like this one are like normal scheduled bus routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

A sound driver will stop for you if its safe i find.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

heldel00 wrote: »
    My neighbour has written letter after letter pleading with LocalLink to stop at the crossroads nearest her house. Like yourself she would have a 3 or 4 mile trip to nearest stop and doesn't drive but it has fallen on deaf ears. She does not expect it to stop outside her house and is willing to walk half a mile to a crossroads that is on the current route but is continually being refused.
    Great service but needs a bit of flexibility.

It's a ridiculous situation where all non-Expressway Bus Eireann services will officially stop anywhere it's safe to do so, but a service specifically funded under the Rural Transport Programme expects passengers to walk miles.

Perhaps you could try contacting the National Transport Authority? The aim of the Rural Transport Programme is "‘to provide a quality nationwide community based public transport system in rural Ireland which responds to local needs".

Telling an elderly woman to stay at home if she can't walk four miles doesn't seem to fit this aim. It's not much help to rural Ireland having perhaps 20 buses per week that don't actually stop in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wicklow eoin

The locallink is stopping for people between ashford and roundwood.

Advertisement