Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Reality General Discussion / Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

mrcheez wrote: »
    Terrible website navigation, but yes that does look kick ass. Great for a work session alright!

How easy would it be to get to that on Luas?

Fair expensive too..€39 for 30 minutes (of which 15 mins is getting briefed / setup?)

Wonder how it compares to Rift / Vive ?

Especially without the main games we'd all know...curious all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

joombo wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of VR. I think it has great potential for many game types. Today VR is becoming more and more popular in many fields, not only in gaming. I read that Computer vision is also popular field of study which investigates how to make computers understand visual information. Many positive reviews I found about CV Development company that uses modern technologies to produce CV and VR software development. It is the future. Soon, all will accept the reality of a complete nonreality.

The Mid-gen Rift Side-grade called Rift S due sometime this year will have CompterVision Inside/Out tracking so no external sensors required. Same as the WMR Headsets and the soon to be released Oculus Quest Standalone. However the Quest/Rift S have 4 corner mounted cameras rather than the WMR's 2 front mounted and user reports from Oculus Connect 5 last September are that it was near 100% perfect and reliable unlike WMR and covers further behind you so you literally have to hide the Touch controllers behind your back to hide them from the HMD cameras. Oculus have also showcased their other computervision R&D at Oculus Connect and Facebooks F8 events. Full Body Skeletal tracking with a single RGB camera, hand tracking like Leap Motion on steroids and and Facial tracking.

(Rift S is likely to be a sidegrade/mild upgrade for people who already own a Rift as the panels are rumoured to be the GO's slightly higher Res LCD panels. However the Go/Quest lenses get rid of the God Rays. For 2 sensor front facing Rift owners the no sensor 360º no size limit roomscale will be a step up but for 3-4 sensor Rift owners the Inside/Out tracking won't offer anything new. However Rift S isn't really aimed at existing Rift owners. Its rumoured lower price guestimated to likely be $299 and sensorless easy setup is aimed at persuading more PC gamers who are still on the fence.)
    Seriously.. A few songs in and I need a break.

Up to Hard on a couple of songs already so that's good. I was a whizz at Guiter Hero a decade ago so I guess there's some rhythm memory.

Played the Budget Cuts demo there for a while. A lot of fun, though I don't have my sensors set up perfectly. Girlfriend walked in and I was on the ground on all fours with my head next to the ground looking for a key I dropped. Funny stuff.

Finally bought Beatsaber last week and its amazing. Don't know why I waited so long. Not that I've gotten to play it much as my Rift is now being monopolised by my brothers Fiancee! LOL

She was playing on Hard and expert levels after about 10 minutes. Shes a Special Effects Artist and Prop-Maker and worked on The Last Jedi so it seems that when she met Rey, Luke Skywalker and Kylo Ren down on Skellig, some of their Force and Lightsaber wielding skills rubbed off on her!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

smokingman wrote: »
    Think I know where I need to organise the next team day out in work...
    https://m.zerolatencyvr.ie

Looks savage

Considering this. bit pricey. I tried to convince a bunch of friends to go but all backed out once they seen the price vs the game time.

If anyone goes, let me know. I’d love to hear how people found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Calibos wrote: »

That looks great with the Hue lighting and subwoofers etc!

Full party setup right there, who needs a DJ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

kerplun k wrote: »
    Considering this. bit pricey. I tried to convince a bunch of friends to go but all backed out once they seen the price vs the game time.

If anyone goes, let me know. I’d love to hear how people found it.

I've got the OK in work already to organise a team day here so I'll let you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭Doge

New VR controllers with full finger tracking?
    Yes please!

For some reason the gameplay reminds me of Duke Nukem 3D / Forever, and just makes me wonder how awesome a decent Duke Nukem sequel would be in VR with all the interactivity.

It's a pity Randy Pitchford holds the licensing, nothing good will ever come of that I think.

I guess it's more reminiscent of half life 2 if anything with the crowbar, physics and robotic spider thingies I can't remember the name of.

Either game using this engine would be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,292 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

brown trouser time

what's with the subtitles?

Must try this: https://maybetall.itch.io/dont-blink

what's with the subtitles?

Must try this: https://maybetall.itch.io/dont-blink

finally tried this last night... creepy as hell. Very Dreadhalls-esque :D

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Skerries wrote: »

135 degree FOV.

Now you're talkin'!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Valve are really bad at certain things, I thought the HTC were bad in choosing vive as a name for VR headset, but the Valve Index? That's absolutely cack.

It sounds like some sort of mobility gadget you'd buy in a OAP shop.

Doge wrote: »
    New VR controllers with full finger tracking?
    Yes please!

For some reason the gameplay reminds me of Duke Nukem 3D / Forever, and just makes me wonder how awesome a decent Duke Nukem sequel would be in VR with all the interactivity.

It's a pity Randy Pitchford holds the licensing, nothing good will ever come of that I think.

OH MY F*CIING GAWD!

It's a mod for Serious Sam VR but looks amazing. They even extended the original map in the first the level to make it more like a realistic city and have more enemies coming at you and even EDF soldiers fighting them!

I'm a very happy boy right now!

haha sweet!

haha sweet!

Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE is €36 on Steam, the cheapest CD key site has it for €27.

A bit much to pay just to play a mod, but I can't wait for a sale really!

Doge wrote: »
    Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE is €36 on Steam, the cheapest CD key site has it for €27.

A bit much to pay just to play a mod, but I can't wait for a sale really!

hmmm... the Croteam bundle is often on sale though.

I got the whole shebang for about €25 a few months ago

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/croteamvrbundle/history/

hmmm... the Croteam bundle is often on sale though.

I got the whole shebang for about €25 a few months ago

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/croteamvrbundle/history/

I gave in and bought it from Steam Direct taking no chances with this one!

It simply cannot wait.

Thanks for the heads up though.

There's a review of the Serious Duke mod 2D version here that goes over the history here, bad language so NSFW:

Had a quick play of it earlier and I didn't know that they made an intro sequence with duke flying his ship, it helps expand on the story, a nice touch.

Also the title screen has a heavy metal cover of the theme, and you're standing in VR with the city towering over you,
    A couch behind your back with a statue of Duke Nukem, a duke nukem pinball machine and vent with a fan on it on the ground.

The modder has added extra waves of enemies to the game so it feels like Serious Sam at times, its absolute carnage but balanced as this doesn't happen all the time.

All in all they did a great job at recreating it, and getting the Duke atmosphere and feel right.

A few things are missing from the original which limit it a bit but its still impressive.

• Advertisement

Install the Serious Sam Fusion 2017 Beta,

then hit the subscribe to all button in the following link:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1432570016

And you're done!

Watching JoshDub and his friend Mullen play the Battle Royale Mode in Pavlov VR is great fun. Especially the town map.

Only a 10er on stream too full price, I think I'll invest in it.

Anyone want to play multiplayer?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Might have to by the Rift S soon. I'd love the Valve Index, but it's just too expensive.

Quest is my new baby. After having completed Apex Construct recently and seeing the state of my wire after, wireless is the only way I'm going from here on :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The Quest is the standalone, right? Is it powerful enough to play some of the more challenging games, or is it more of a phone type VR system?

Is that Quest available from retail?
    Was thinking of offloading the PSVR and all accessories for this.

The main question here, is it mobile VR? graphically I mean.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

Over a grand for the bundle of Valve's new VR offering is ridiculous, those controllers are over a hundred a piece! And I thought we were getting gouged on PSMove controllers!

I really hope other headsets are compatible with any software they are thinking of releasing in the near future...

• Advertisement

Some more hilarity from JoshDub and Mullens in Minecraft VR.

Bad Language and dark humour is guaranteed so you have been warned!

Advertisement