Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,054 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Uhmmmm lot of chaff blowing around the organisation recently.

Most unusual for the Packers....seems a Rogers McCarthy rift has been going back a while.

Jermichael 88 and Greg Jennings seem to have ‘piled on’ with heavy criticism on #12.

Alleging Rogers ‘froze out’ receivers who followed McCarthys play call instead of his,at the LOS.

Packers organisation need to get a handle on this schidt quanto rapido.

Big schidt going on which is unusual.

All not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

the article doesn't reflect well on the packers at all. Rodgers is no angel and to be honest seems a bit of a prick but his our prick. My biggest worry is, will lefluer be able to manage him.

cosatron wrote: »
    the article doesn't reflect well on the packers at all. Rodgers is no angel and to be honest seems a bit of a prick but his our prick. My biggest worry is, will lefluer be able to manage him.

Yes, that’s a problem.

Rogers needs to ‘connect’ with the team.Like if your receivers don’t like you and think you a a prick earning huge money on their effort...... only one outcome.

La Fleur needs to establish his authority early, if he doesn’t, it’s bad news.

Hopefully the shake up will have a good outcome, I’m hopeful of a good season but any crap amongst the team and and players will not enhance their prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

If half of this shíte is true then Gutekunst and Murphy and LaFleur need to get a handle on it pronto.

Packers always were able to avoid these kind of situations,and their results proved the value of a united team.

Let’s hope that this crud is sorted as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The 12th pick am not impressed with at all, 21.....grand but hardly worth moving up for imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

They can't keep ignoring the offense. Taylor and Ford will probably be gone by 44 but they'd at least need to add to the receivers at that stage.

They can't keep ignoring the offense. Taylor and Ford will probably be gone by 44 but they'd at least need to add to the receivers at that stage.
    This is where you sack up as the gm. Should of taken the te from iowa at 7 should of traded up. Balls out and take metclaffe or however its spelt

Ssssteady up now lads.... I would never think I know better than an experienced GM and a battery of advisors around him.

Let’s calm down a bit...... and consider that there will be O men later on.

I wouldn’t panic just now, let’s wait till it all pans out.

We don’t want any more Tony Mandarichs........

Ssssteady up now lads.... I would never think I know better than an experienced GM and a battery of advisors around him.

Let’s calm down a bit...... and consider that there will be O men later on.

I wouldn’t panic just now, let’s wait till it all pans out.

We don’t want any more Tony Mandarichs........
    The problem is the last 7 years all the offensive players have been later rounds except I think Eddie lacey. Outside of him I genuinely can't think of our last first round offensive player.

Just checked. 2010+2011 both offensive tackles

• Advertisement

The problem is the last 7 years all the offensive players have been later rounds except I think Eddie lacey. Outside of him I genuinely can't think of our last first round offensive player.

Just checked. 2010+2011 both offensive tackles

Maybe that’s because it was the defense was the problem

I’m happy with the Offense,add a few astute picks and it’s a good one.

I think the Packers are depending on MVS,ESB,J’Mon, Jake Kumero to take the step add Geronimo and expect #17 to be the stud he is to continue.

OLine at RT and RG is dependable on injury, but should be able to be bolstered by later picks.

I think this strategy is good, make Lambeau a fortress as it was, and if you win there, it will be hard earned.

I’m well aware the Packers are an ‘offensive team’ but we need steel in the D too.

Maybe that’s because it was the defense was the problem

I’m happy with the Offense,add a few astute picks and it’s a good one.

I think the Packers are depending on MVS,ESB,J’Mon, Jake Kumero to take the step add Geronimo and expect #17 to be the stud he is to continue.

OLine at RT and RG is dependable on injury, but should be able to be bolstered by later picks.

I think this strategy is good, make Lambeau a fortress as it was, and if you win there, it will be hard earned.

I’m well aware the Packers are an ‘offensive team’ but we need steel in the D too.
    8 years of defensive first round picks. If that can't sort a teams defence the team really needs to look at their scouts/draft guidelines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

8 years of defensive first round picks. If that can't sort a teams defence the team really needs to look at their scouts/draft guidelines
    The problem there is, when your opponents best weapon and your defenses biggest weakness is often your own defensive coordinator, you can literally draft a secondary full of all pros and watch them look average... which is exactly what happened to us. I'm not saying the talent was perfect by any means, but it didn't really matter who the talent was when having our plays called by a dinosaur where the opposing QB knew better than our own players what they were going to be doing on any given play (kind of inevitable when you give a different formation/look to seemingly every play).

I'm... pretty happy with the draft so far.

First of all, I was very happy to see us not take a WR in the first two rounds - initially I pretty much stopped reading as soon as a mock had us taking one early, but for the last month or so just about every mock seems to have had this, which is irritatingly lazy. Davante Adams is a top 8 WR in the league easily (half a yard more pace and he would be up there with Julio and Antonio Brown imo, and Brown is the best WR I've ever seen - above Megatron, Fitz, Owens and Moss even). Beyond that, Allison is a serviceable no. 2 and nothing more... but MVS and St. Brown showed quite a lot last year, and I'm more than happy for those three to fight it out for the other spot. Kumerow is also in there to add some competition, and I think he could be a late bloomer who turns into a 40-60 catch, 13-15 yard per catch, kind of guy. J'Mon Moore showed absolutely nothing, but that's not too uncommon for rookie WRs. To me, the boundaries are solid... but we really have nobody in the slot, unless one of the aformentioned guys goes there, which brings me to my next point. LaFleur also seems to prefer to run the ball more, which might mean more two-TE sets and less slot guys... and hopefully, less running the ball 6 times in our opening drive of each half, and 4-5 times for the entire remainder of the game.

We didn't need to trade up to get Savage - he almost definitely would have still been there at no. 30, while Adderley was there until 5-6 picks from the end of the 2nd round, while Deionte Thompson is still there at the start of round 4. That said, I guess it points to Pettine knowing exactly what he wanted and Gutekunst being willing to go to bat for him - having someone with such incredible range in the backfield should free up Pettine do mess around with all 11 other guys on the defense (maybe 10; Kevin King seems more of a pure coverage guy from what I've seen), which is what his system is all about.

It's because of that that I get the Gary pick, though I'm still quite split on it and wonder how much we were banking on Hockenson or Oliver falling. Guys who struggled to produce in college in my guesstimation bust far more often than they boom in the NFL, but the guy is an absolute physical freak and can play DE or OLB, which will allow us to shift formations, looks and play calls at the LOS even more, and having picked up the two Smiths, plus having guys like Martinez, Fackrell, Daniels and Clark (and hopefully Mo Wilk on another cheap 1yr deal!) adding to the sack count, means that Gary should not have much pressure on him this year and can develop.

It stung a little watching some of the other OL men coming off the board right before our second rounder, and Jawaan Taylor in particular was of interest to me (fight for a G spot this year, take over for Bulaga/Spriggs at RT next year kind of thing), but the talk on Jenkins is pretty positive and he gives us an option to replace Linsley or Taylor moving forward (or Turner if he doesn't work out at RG). I am actually a little higher on our O-line than most (we also got Cole Madison reporting back a few days ago, and he was seen as one of the bigger steals of all of last year's draft, plus Turner of course) and think we might have used it for other areas, but good value on good linemen should never be seen as a bad thing.

And we picked up a TE, which is good. Hock or Fant would have been great but each were ridiculously expensive, and while I don't know a tonne about Sternberger I've seen his style compared to Zach Ertz - a good athlete but not great, fluid but not explosive, shifty and smart to catch passes in the seams, and a potentially great guy to 'keep the chains moving'. He's going ot be learning pass catching techniques from one of the very best pass catching TEs over the last decade, and blocking from one of the very best blocking TEs, of the last decade too, which is a major plus.

I really think the two fourth rounders we gave up for Savage are a bit of a missed opportunity for us to go pick up a quality slot guy, and possibly a 3rd RB as well, or even another DB. On that note though, I'm also relieved we have not yet taken a RB as we had far, far bigger needs and Aaron Jones has the potential to be a top 5-8 RB in the entire league. I just feel like this is an area of the draft where we typically draft among the very best in the league, and it's a shame to be missing out on it. We have a fifth, two sixths and a 7th rounder left... imo beyond round 4 it really becomes much more about BPA, but I ideally would like to see a RB, slot WR, and DB amongst them.

Christ, we're mid-way through round 4 now and I'm wondering if it's worth seeing if we can do a small trade to snag Thompson at S to go with Amos, Savage, and Jones (also playing some ILB) and Tramon (also playing CB further down the depth chart).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Very happy with the draft overall tbh. Going by some analysts, we had one of the best drafts overall and I care to agree really. Gary @ 12 was interesting but I see the value from what he adds to the pass rush overall, rather than individually. Brett Kollman reckoned he's like a Clowney in that his individual stats aren't WOW, but his versatility means offenses have no idea where he can line up which makes them fearful and allows them to focus on him more than other players instead. According to him, Gary's a large part of the reason Devin Bush was so good at LB and having seen some film, I can see why tbh. He just makes the space to allow someone like Bush get to the QB, and since he can line up anywhere pretty much, OC's will watch him closely. Considering the players who were left at 12, I think Gary was a solid pick.

Savage @ 21 was also solid and really gets that DB group sorted tbh. Considering it's been a mess the past few years, it looks so much better now and I really think Savage compliments Amos back there. He's easily one of the top DB's in this class and I like to think this Defense really has to deliver now that it's received so much investment in the draft and FA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just saw the news. An absolute legend of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Got too expensive..

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

saving 8.3 mill against the cap is too much not to let him go! there obviously happen with the group there with lowry, clark, adams, keke and the lbs they have....

Surprising it happened so quick.... does this mean that we are targetting other positions now? WR maybe.... couldnt make a bid for Dez right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

saving 8.3 mill against the cap is too much not to let him go! there obviously happen with the group there with lowry, clark, adams, keke and the lbs they have....

Surprising it happened so quick.... does this mean that we are targetting other positions now? WR maybe.... couldnt make a bid for Dez right?

I could see a move for Mason Foster or Michael Crabtree

• Advertisement

Could get Foster for about 2mill and crabtree wont have a 6 million market imo so i think they would have had the cap space prior to cutting Daniels if they wanted to make those moves....

Certainly does make for a more interesting offseason now - far cry from Teddys conservative offseasons

No wish to see dez anymore, maybe last season but now?? Pass please.

Anyone watch the Packers-Texans game.

Any comments to make.

Watched it myself and the good things I got from it :

Kumerow and Shephard.

The linebacker whose name I forget- sorry.

Montraveous Adams.

The bad stuff.... defense still giving up huge yardage on 3rd Downs.

How many third and very longs did they give up.

Couldn’t get a glove on the Texan QB .... missed tackles.

Now don’t tell me is just the preseason....... I know that

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Anyone watch the Packers-Texans game.

Any comments to make.

Watched it myself and the good things I got from it :

Kumerow and Shephard.

The linebacker whose name I forget- sorry.

Montraveous Adams.

The bad stuff.... defense still giving up huge yardage on 3rd Downs.

How many third and very longs did they give up.

Couldn’t get a glove on the Texan QB .... missed tackles.

Now don’t tell me is just the preseason....... I know that
    Watched it myself.

Ty Summers is the LB you're thinking of. Looks like a tackling machine. Similar enough to Martinez though.

Kizer is just not doing it for me. Much prefer Tim Boyle.

Yea a lot of familiar traits in the defense but expect it to be solid this year. Some nice turnovers. Hallman is not bad at all.

Anyway bring on Ravens.

Be good to see some starters get some minutes.

I'd take datone Jones back on a one year minimum prove it deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

good win last night, I think the only difference between the teams was that Rodgers sucked a little less than trubisky and Rodgers was poor, taking needless sacks and holding onto the ball to long, just throw it away for god sakes. The bears d is good, so I think we will improve on offense, Lefluer uses the tightends allot which is nice to see and MVS made some nice catches. The defense was good but was helped by poor bears playcalling and trubisky having a bit of a stinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Have only seen the game in 40 but what I took from it was.

Very rusty start due to Rodgers not playing all pre-season. As the game went on there were improvements in boot offence and the defence also improved as the game wore on which was great to see. A few worrying sacks on Rodgers alright but again hopefully down to a bit of rustiness.

What I would say is if Chicago had a better QB I don't think we would have won. Trubisky looked very poor and indecisive.

All in all its a great result and hopefully the cob webbs shook off.

Can I say some of the play designs should be tweaked depending on teams. Leaving a gap for a player to run through hoping your rb gets to the outside before the lb/dl gets through the gap is insane. Even more so against a team with mack on it

Ah look - its week 1..... always gonna be a slow start! But the defense came to play from the start! Yes Mitch had a poor game - but he had some good spells but couldn't close it out! Defensively we really did look solid - there was a few lapses... some gaps in coverage but that will improve.

its important that we went 1-0 - and 5 out of the next 6 games at home - the offense improves - the defense improves.. all signs point up!

I was massively disappointed in the run game last night - considering that that is what they have been working on all summer... just seemed very static and in no way explosive or effective!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Thing the o line had a bit of a mare. Bears oline give Trubisky much better protection. Rodgers wasn’t great but he wasn’t allowed express himself.

Wouldn’t fancy tony brown at cb either.

Advertisement