Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sligo IT Fine Art Level 8. Thoughts?

Options
  • 20-03-2019 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Heya ☺️

I know there was already a post about the fine art department but chancing my arm and asking the same question as the last post!

The replies were over three years ago so I’m hoping someone who has just started or is in the middle of doing this course can tell me how they are finding it?

Thanks ☺️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lovelyday26

Im an ex student of the fine art department, I graduated a couple of years ago so maybe the course has changed within this time but my experience was so negative that I feel I should share it.

There were allot of problems with this course, the freezing cold buildings, lack of space and facilities were a major issue but as far as im aware the fine department has received funding and will be improving the L and K blocks.
    The biggest issue for me while on this course was unfortunately the tutors, there were some fantastic staff but the bad outweighed the good and many of the tutors were obnoxious, unhelpful, unprofessional, critical and some verged on bullying particular students.
    This often left a general feeling of frustration and despondence among the group, we expected a level of professionalism and etiquette from our tutors which was not provided to us. They would regularly make personal attacks, critical remarks and invasive, hurtful comments. At one point the entire 4th year group requested a meeting with the tutors to confront these issues but nothing really changed. Students made complaints to head of department but it was to no avail.
    To add to this some of the tutors offered no tuition in their classes, they criticized our work but gave no constructive feedback or taught us any theories or techniques, these same tutors would then hand out low grades and tell students during reviews that their work was no good.
    During a digital lens based media class we were asked to edit a photo on Photoshop, having never used photo shop before I asked the tutor if he could help me and show me how to edit, he refused to help me and told me to figure it out myself, I played around with Photoshop for the rest of the class but it was a waste of time as I didn't know what I was doing.
    When I hadn't produced a suitably edited photo for our mid term reviews, he told me I should have asked someone to show me how to use Photoshop. As all the students were busy with their own work I didn't want to hassle any of them by asking them to teach me and besides, that was the tutors job but he refused to help. The most frustrating part about this was how he took credit for our learning while expecting the students to teach and guide each other, on paper he looked as if he had taught a photo editing class when in reality he had sat back and chatted away to students and other tutors while offering no tuition what so ever despite being asked for help.
    Twice we brought it up with the tutors about the lack of tuition but again, nothing changed and when it did it it was short lived.
    Some of the tutors, one in particular, regularly crossed professional boundaries by socializing with particular students outside of college. Favoritism was clearly reflected in students grades, the amount of tuition, support and guidance they received and they were often afforded extensions on their work among other things.
    I feel that many of the tutors knew they could get away with anything in this course and as a result, continued to be unprofessional to the detriment of our education despite students complaints.
    In the end I did quite well in this course and got the marks I wanted but I was more relieved at the fact that this chapter of my life had finally ended and I could put the previous four years behind me.

If you have other options, I would strongly recommend that you consider them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 2breal

yab wrote: »
    Heya ☺️

I know there was already a post about the fine art department but chancing my arm and asking the same question as the last post!

The replies were over three years ago so I’m hoping someone who has just started or is in the middle of doing this course can tell me how they are finding it?

Thanks ☺️

Advertisement