Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit

• 12-02-2019 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

With Brexit only a few short weeks away I am shocked to hear that the ICU and UCU have not made any contingency plans for the serious ramifications which will inevitably follow. For a start we in the South will no longer be able to play the English Opening, The Scotch or The London System while our Northern counterparts can forget about The French Defence, The Spanish Game, The Dutch, The Italian Game, the The Polish Defence,Scandanavian Defence,The Vienna and the Berlin. Obviously British players will no longer be able to use the en passant rule in games and in the event of a no deal Brexit they will not be able to offer or accept draws.
    It would perhaps be too harsh to ban Northern players from Bunratty but I would suggest that we at least prevent them from purchasing alcohol there unless it is for their Southern opponents after a game.
    The Ballynafeigh Chess Blog will no longer be available in the South (no harm there) but as a token of goodwill and a gesture of friendship towards all my Northern fans we should probably allow them to continue receiving Boards.ie
    The ICU and UCU will have to split again, although I can't say that I have noticed any change in the chess world since they reunited a while back.
    FIDE will also make a ruling about the use of castling in the South and whether it will be banned altogether or just renamed after some nationalist chessplayers complained about finding the notion of going Kingside or indeed Queenside not to their liking.
    Naturally in the event of a hard border we shall have to impose a levy on all Northern players entering Southern tournaments, this may be paid in liquid form to myself (as the only one who seems to be prepared for Brexit) or to any member of the ICU executive with a liking for alcohol.
    I am sure that there are many other ramifications to this ridiculous Brexit strategy which we cannot yet predict but at least we can now prepare for the ones that we know of. A sad day indeed for Irish chess:(

Advertisement