Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MCSA Windows Server 2016

• 01-11-2018 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Hey All.

Has anyone recently completed these exams?
    I’ve just started studying the 70-740 course and I am finding it tough going.
    Seems to be an awful lot of information in each module.

The place I am studying it in does it as mentored learning. So you sit reading the book and watching presentations and you can ask the mentor questions during the session.

Has anyone any tips on the best way to study this?

My plan at the minute is to read 2 modules over the weekends and then attend the two 3.5 hour sessions midweek evenings to view the presentations and then find another 4 hours during the week to do the labs.
    It took me over 4 hours to read a module from the book.

Even with this I can’t see the information sticking as I do not work with windows server much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I done the 2012. It’s very detailed and also tough.
    Just work on the labs. You could even create your own one with VMware Workstation. Get familiar with server 2016.
    Watch videos as well with the like of cbt nuggets.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

It certainly is heavy going. I also done the mentored training with the online Microsoft tutorials. I done it over 5 days, 9-5 in the . I think I got through 10 of the 12 modules by end of the week but by then, I couldn't remember what I done at the start. Topics such as fail-over clusters, Powershell commands etc, stuff which I've never heard of before.
    Good luck with it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

It certainly is heavy going. I also done the mentored training with the online Microsoft tutorials. I done it over 5 days, 9-5 in the . I think I got through 10 of the 12 modules by end of the week but by then, I couldn't remember what I done at the start. Topics such as fail-over clusters, Powershell commands etc, stuff which I've never heard of before.
    Good luck with it anyway

So how much study hours did you put in? Surely that one week wasn’t enough to pass the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

mada82 wrote: »
    So how much study hours did you put in? Surely that one week wasn’t enough to pass the test?

Most tech exams should be passable after a full working week put towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

is a bootcamp worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

mada82 wrote: »
    Even with this I can’t see the information sticking as I do not work with windows server much...

I think is the problem with this stuff. You need to be hands on with it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Most tech exams should be passable after a full working week put towards them.

Doubtful. Doubly doubtful that you'll have learned anything other than A,B,A,A,B,B,C,C,D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Looking at the overall industry,i think the world of the server as the older of us IT guys knows it, is at the end of the road.
    MSoft makes more bucks in the cloud and they will do anything to stop on premise while movign you all up there .

I can assume in couple of years server will be all remote powershell commands and you will need thin air and wires to master up and down to cloud. Not sure how the IT world will be then and how the IT guys will make the charges... or justify their work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

rolion wrote: »
    Looking at the overall industry,i think the world of the server as the older of us IT guys knows it, is at the end of the road.
    MSoft makes more bucks in the cloud and they will do anything to stop on premise while movign you all up there .

I can assume in couple of years server will be all remote powershell commands and you will need thin air and wires to master up and down to cloud. Not sure how the IT world will be then and how the IT guys will make the charges... or justify their work.

Same as we always did, even with servers in the cloud they need to be administered.

Office 365 has generated more work , not less. The need to migrate the system, to maintain accounts - including backups all needs someone who knows what they are at.

What IT guys dont make money on anymore is selling cd copies of Office to people.

horgan_p wrote: »
    Same as we always did, even with servers in the cloud they need to be administered.

Office 365 has generated more work , not less. The need to migrate the system, to maintain accounts - including backups all needs someone who knows what they are at.

What IT guys dont make money on anymore is selling cd copies of Office to people.

Thanks.
    Tried to upgrade my old rusted MCSE Win2000.
    Lots of command line, lots of powershell… hot the neck im I supposed to remember all of them !?
    I'm a visual memory guy that could do a remote support fix at 2am by using graphic and visual but definitively not command powershell lines... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You need to be using these skillsets on a regular basis to maintain them. I use them so rarely impossible to remember them.

beauf wrote: »
    You need to be using these skillsets on a regular basis to maintain them. I use them so rarely impossible to remember them.

Agree.

And i feel that Microsoft is going to betray us shortly.
    They tried with O365 where apparently to make someone's lives easier, they enabled by default so that normal users can bypass IT Managers or SysAdmins and organisations policies and they can order and "buy" / install applications from the Windows / O365 Store.

All the processes and changes are done in order to shift the management from local to cloud. No more local servers and/or processing intelligence.
    Ice installed recently Exchange 2016 and Exchange 2019 and was surprised to see same interface as the O365 ! Cannot share the effort spent to do basic tasks in Exchange that now require programming skills in PowerShell and an upgraded memory to maybe same size as a 20 years man but with 20 years experience.

Also, i heard but not sure that I cannot buy Office 2016/2019 as a once off purchase but they will change from next year to subscription based. I think that will really really kill my love for them and time to change the profession or change the market.

Advertisement