Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen Gas cylinder

• 09-01-2010 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have a gas cylinder outside for my cooker and it has frozen. :( I have pipe insulation round the hose into the house and a thick duvet round the cylinder but it has still frozen. How can I defrost it so I can use my cooker? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

We've been pouring warm water on top of it, over the regulator. Works for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭meercat

butane freezes below zero.propane is better for winter.same bottle and regulator.bring the bottle into house if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭shaywest

kettle of hot water works for us too!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

I think if you made a box out of plywood and lined the inside of it with polystyrene and put the gas cylinfer into it that it would stop it from freezing.I often thought about doing it myself but never got around to it.You would have to do it properly ensuring that there was no airspaces in the joinings or the lid of the box and where the pipe comes out.You might have to lag the pipe as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I find that giving the cylinder a shake generally works. If it doesn't I put on a new cylinder and use up the end of the frozen one when the weather has warmed. It only seems to freeze when the cylinder is nearly empty.

Could someone invent a circular thing with handles that you could use to press down the plastic rim? Its all very well when your hands are young and fit, but as they get a bit older its increasingly difficult to get the rim to go down with just thumbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think if you made a box out of plywood and lined the inside of it with polystyrene and put the gas cylinfer into it that it would stop it from freezing.I often thought about doing it myself but never got around to it.You would have to do it properly ensuring that there was no airspaces in the joinings or the lid of the box and where the pipe comes out.You might have to lag the pipe as well.

Build it a bit bigger so you have space to install a light bulb – no it’s not scared of the dark but a good old fashioned 100W bulb puts out good bit of heat - make sure to have vent holes in the bottum so any gass leak can escape !

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Yeah, put home made electrical circuitry near pressurised flamable gas, great idea... No chance of that backfiring...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EF1T

Ya could lag it with the stuff for lagging a hot tank!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

Thanks, kettle worked a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

mrroboito wrote: »
    Thanks, kettle worked a treat.

Yeah but it took 7 years to thaw out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

9or10 wrote: »
    Yeah but it took 7 years to thaw out :D

Probably should have used the electric sooner, didn't realise the one on the gas cooker would take so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

looksee wrote: »
    I find that giving the cylinder a shake generally works. If it doesn't I put on a new cylinder and use up the end of the frozen one when the weather has warmed. It only seems to freeze when the cylinder is nearly empty.

Could someone invent a circular thing with handles that you could use to press down the plastic rim? Its all very well when your hands are young and fit, but as they get a bit older its increasingly difficult to get the rim to go down with just thumbs.

Agree.. I get a tea towel, then press with the sides of my hands through the cloth.. Ok I cheated last time and got the big strong ferryman who delivered th e has to do it; and he found it hard!

Advertisement