Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Open University Questions and Answers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

DM addict wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend more than 60 credits then.

There's often facebook groups for various modules - see if you can find one for the module you're thinking of studying and ask some questions of the people who are doing/just did it. You'll probably get a mix of responses, but it should give you an idea of how challenging the course is.

The OU says 60 credits is about 16-18 hours a week http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/do-it/finding-time . That is going to vary depending on your course though. I've had 60 credit modules that took way less than that, and 30 credit modules that took over the 9 hours you'd expect.

Thanks for all the advise appreciate it, I'll look around for one of those groups on FB too. I was thinking I might only do 30 cred first year until I get used to doing it online

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

jaqian wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advise appreciate it, I'll look around for one of those groups on FB too. I was thinking I might only do 30 cred first year until I get used to doing it online

That's another good choice. It's what I did. It'll help you gauge how much time you can give to it.

I had a year where I did 120 credits and worked full time.... do not recommend it if you ever want to sleep or see family/friends....

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

I've done 30 credits for the last two years. Full-time job, family, hobbies etc. Managed fine at that. Considering doing 60 for this coming year, but might do 30 in October and tear into it so as to be ready to start another 30 in February. if you're determined and disciplined it is achievable. I didn't give any less time fluting around on here for example ....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I did 30 credits the first time - but that module was quite full on (maths) so around TMA time I'd be busy. I've just finished up a 60 credit module and spent very little time on it.
    Each module will be different, some have an exam some finish with an EMA (examinable assignment).

Really it depends on what you're doing, if it's something you have a lot on knowledge on already it's not going to take up as much time. Maths is something I was always good at but still was very time consuming and still had to put a lot of work into it. Never did the exam for that due to reasons outside my control and have to redo entire module so back doing that now in October and going to do it with another 30 credit module.
    Went to tutorials for maths, didn't go to the tutorials for the one I've just finished - so it really does depend on the module.

Doing 30 credits first is a good way to start IMO as it helps you figure out whether you will put the time in and how to work it into your life etc
    I work full time and have no kids but I do a lot of sport so Open University is a good (but expensive) way to get the study done without having to make any major sacrifices. No way I'd be able to go into a classroom 3 nights a week and/or at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Thanks for all the suggestions & advice, the course I was looking at was the Top-up BSc (Honours) Computing and IT Practice

Has anyone here done this course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

jaqian wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions & advice, the course I was looking at was the Top-up BSc (Honours) Computing and IT Practice

Has anyone here done this course?

No, sadly. Hopefully someone on here can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Has anyone done TU100 course ( My Digital Life ) ?

It's 60 Credits and seems pretty much standard in all computing based degrees\ diplomas..

Maysa07 wrote: »
    Has anyone done TU100 course ( My Digital Life ) ?

It's 60 Credits and seems pretty much standard in all computing based degrees\ diplomas..

I've just finished it. I found it a waste of time tbh - very basic and very outdated. Much of it seemed very irrelevant...and the 'coding' in it was the OU version of scratch (lego programming as I called it :) )
    Unfortunately, you have to do it to do a computing degree with them - I was very frustrated throughout as I didn't feel any 'value for money' with it.

I know a lot of people doing it while I was found the coding hard or the material hard. I just found most of it boring / irrelevant / outdated. :)

I've just finished it. I found it a waste of time tbh - very basic and very outdated. Much of it seemed very irrelevant...and the 'coding' in it was the OU version of scratch (lego programming as I called it :) )
    Unfortunately, you have to do it to do a computing degree with them - I was very frustrated throughout as I didn't feel any 'value for money' with it.

I know a lot of people doing it while I was found the coding hard or the material hard. I just found most of it boring / irrelevant / outdated. :)

Thanks for the reply! The company i work for have a partnership with OU and all courses are free, I currently work in Technology and am looking around there site to To see if i like anything. This Module looks very broad and seems like an introductory module designed to bring students of differing abilities and experience up to the same level?
    From what i read on other sites the Programming aspect of it is not necessarily to learn about programming but instead being able to think about the problem you're trying to solve and come up with the logical sequence of instructions that will provide the solution.
    I have till the end of August to decide, I feel i know a lot of the technical side but it might be the right Module even just to get back into the studying again.

Thanks for your feedback

Paddy

Maysa07 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply! The company i work for have a partnership with OU and all courses are free, I currently work in Technology and am looking around there site to To see if i like anything. This Module looks very broad and seems like an introductory module designed to bring students of differing abilities and experience up to the same level?
    From what i read on other sites the Programming aspect of it is not necessarily to learn about programming but instead being able to think about the problem you're trying to solve and come up with the logical sequence of instructions that will provide the solution.
    I have till the end of August to decide, I feel i know a lot of the technical side but it might be the right Module even just to get back into the studying again.

Thanks for your feedback

Paddy

Yeah it's really to cover every one but if you work in technology or have an interest in it you'll find it all very easy - will probably discover some new stuff along the way too though. Since there is no entry requirements really it means people are completely different educational and experience levels.

I assumed the programming aspect was just to introduce people to how coding works and introduce them to the basic concepts (loops, if statements etc) - again, most will never have done anything like it before.

One of the openlearn courses covers some of the material, can't remember which one though.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's really to cover every one but if you work in technology or have an interest in it you'll find it all very easy - will probably discover some new stuff along the way too though. Since there is no entry requirements really it means people are completely different educational and experience levels.

I assumed the programming aspect was just to introduce people to how coding works and introduce them to the basic concepts (loops, if statements etc) - again, most will never have done anything like it before.

One of the openlearn courses covers some of the material, can't remember which one though.

Thank you again for the advice! I am leaning towards doing it in the hope of moving towards a Diplomas of Higher Education and perhaps a degrees in this area. Ill see :)

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Any current/recent students have an opinion on OU - how happy are you with them? Quality of material , how accessible are tutors, just in general how do you find the experience?

Also, any recent students of the Maths + Statistics Degree?

Currently studying Maths & Statistics as it happens. I find OU excellent, suits me and my life very well. I work shifts so the flexibility of the OU allows me to study when I want.
    I started with the Discovering Maths module for 30 credits as I had been out of formal education for almost 20 years. I did higher level maths in school so I found I could manage quite well.
    I followed that up with Essential Maths 1, another 30 credit module, and had a similar experience except this module had an exam at the end rather than just assignments. There was a certain amount of stress with the exam on the day, but that was only because it had been so long since I did one.
    This year is my first year taking on 60 credits, as I am doing Essential Maths 2 along with Introducing Statistics. I am finding it a bit more difficult to manage time effectively because of this but am enjoying the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MagdaKo

hi,
    as i can see some of you have been studied in OU. do you know if the degree after is recongised in Ireland? I would like to start a course but need to know if I will get a job for sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

OU degrees are definitely recognised in Ireland, and all the relevant information is on their website.

Of course, no degree will get you a job "for sure"...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 miss nesbit

I spent two years doing a masters with the OU, in my experience with potential employers most have not heard of the OU and quite frankly dont care. I would do so far as to say they might think its inferior because its distance learning.
    I think the only way forward is to choose degrees/masters with built in work placements so you get experience at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nobber10

There is a lot of merit in miss nesbit's argument. I am a retired public servant and OU graduate. I have OU degrees (Hons) in both science and geography. While no one said to me that they did not recognize my qualifications, but when it came to advancing my career,my the OU qualifications were worth nothing. I graduated in 1999 and again in 2007. I worked in the public service for over 42 years. I had the feeling that people looked down on an OU degree

I don't think that's fair. Possibly it depends on the industry even, there have been employers on this forum here who have said they would look more favorably on a person with an OU degree because of the dedication it takes to get one. Always surprises me how many people haven't heard of OU - I've been aware of it's existence since I was in my teens. Up to the holder of the degree to make sure potential employers or their current employers understand what their degree is etc

I'm not up to date with the new "Levels" method of describing college qualifications, it was cert/dip/deg when I was in school. What does a 120 credit OU (cert?) qualification translate to in new money?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm not up to date with the new "Levels" method of describing college qualifications, it was cert/dip/deg when I was in school. What does a 120 credit OU (cert?) qualification translate to in new money?

There are usually 30 credits per semester in a full-time college, so 60 credits is 1 year, 120 would equate to 2 years. So I am guessing it would be equivalent to a 2-year, Higher Certificate.

• Advertisement

Is that Level 5 then or level 6?

Is that Level 5 then or level 6?

Level 6

Leaving certificate is level 5

• Registered Users Posts: 13 heart_powerful

Hi all,

Is it possible to study individual modules of physical or human geography through the Open University?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

All the OU modules can be studied individually, so long as you meet the entry requirements. 

There are several environmental studies courses which would cover aspects of physical and human geography (http://www.openuniversity.edu/courses/qualifications/details/u116?orig=r16&setAcc=true), and in the science curriculum there are several courses on specific areas of geography (http://www.openuniversity.edu/courses/short-courses/sg075, http://www.openuniversity.edu/courses/modules/s186). Then there is a Earth Sciences course, which also includes an option for a residential Geology course in the UK (http://www.openuniversity.edu/courses/modules/s209#details)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 heart_powerful

Thanks very much for your reply nibtrix

The reason I am asking is because I want to register Geography as a teaching subject with the teaching council for post primary teaching in Ireland.
    They require that I study Geography to at least 60 credits and that within this 60, at least 15 credits are of human geography and 15 are of physical geography. I have this in writing from the TC. It is also written in their declaration form.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/_fileupload/Subject-Declaration-Forms-Updated-July/Geography-Form-Revised-.pdf

After looking at some of the links that you posted, I came across this 60 credit module within the Geography and Environmental degree on OU.

http://www.openuniversity.edu/courses/qualifications/details/u116?orig=r16&setAcc=true

My question now is, would this module alone suffice? It seems to have a nice mix of physical and human geography. I wonder what the credit breakdown is within the module itself, if any?

Any more information would be brilliant but I can always contact the OU itself for clarification. Thanks once again

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wishywashy2018

Hi all,

I am also currently thinking of doing an Honours BA in Environmental Health with the OU. I am not sure if this kind of course would be recognised in Ireland. I know in college you get work placement. Can anyone tell me if Environmental Health OU qualification is recognised by the NFQ or QQI? I tried calling various educational bodies but they just pass me on to another body like some will goose chase.

Any advice will be helpful. Thanks.

Yes it is recognised here. You can even get tax relief on your Open University fees. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Yes it is recognised here. You can even get tax relief on your Open University fees. :)

Even if you've already got an undergrad?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement