Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sci fi books suggestions

Options
  • 01-03-2018 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

So I've been trying to get back into reading bthe last while as I didn't have any time with work the last year and im having trouble.

I read ship of fools recently and enjoyed that and the one I'm currently reading is revelation space. I think I'll give up on revelation as it is kind of boring me, I can't seem to get into it.

Sci Fi is a broad genre I know and I'm not very picky, although I've always enjoyed space and aliens etc. There doesn't even have to be explosions in the story, I just like the setting.

I was thinking of trying the blade runner book as shockingly I've never seen the movie and it's the kind of thing I like.

So what do you guys think can you suggest something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Try Consider Phlebas (Banks) or Pandora's Star (Hamilton). Maybe even Dune. There's a bunch of suggestions in the stickied thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DeborahLQ

Here's my top sci-fi reading list that I added in another thread here:
    (and both Banks and Hamilton are included like @Trojan suggested)

Iain M. Banks - The Culture Series
    Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space series
    Isaac Asimov - Foundation series
    Dan Simmons - Hyperion trilogy
    Peter F. Hamilton - The Void series
    Vernor Vinge - A Fire Upon the Deep, A Deepness in the Sky
    N.K. Jemisin - The Fifth Season trilogy (more fantasy, but awesome nonetheless)
    Charles Stross - Glass Houses
    Ursula LeGuin - The Lathe of Heaven
    Cixin Liu - The Three-Body Problem trilogy
    Jay Allen - Crimson Worlds series
    Neal Asher - Polity series

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The expanse series

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd second the recommendations for Hamilton.
    As well:
    The Reckoners series - Brandon Sanderson. ( somewhat YA )
    Grimnoir Chronicles - Larry Correia ( excellent audio books )
    Vorkosigan Series - Lois Bujold ( YMMV especially with the recent volumes )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Honor Harrington universe

Hornblower

The expanse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

+3 on expanse

Also old mans war by John Scalzi

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Modern: Old Man's War

Classic: Rama Series

If I had to pick a contemporary series and a classic, these would be my must reads. Honourable mention to all of Iain M Banks' work, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Also the long earth series were pretty good

Advertisement