Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Traffic, only movie I fell asleep watching at a cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Arrival is worse film I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Dun-****ing-kirk!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Connacht15 wrote: »
    2001 - A Space Odyssey - Crap!

That whole “light show” section. Rubbish. Not worth watching a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

What was the problem with Godfather 2?

Firstly, I'm not saying it's a bad movie, I just don't think it's as great as it's reputation and the reason is that it uses the murder of Fredo as the culmination of the process of Michael losing his soul, and yet it doesn't really make clear what it was that Fredo did to deserve it, which I think is a serious omission. The question in the viewers mind should be "Was Michael's action justified considering what Fredo did?" but instead is tends to be "WTF did Fredo actually do?".

Also, while the earlier pieces with de Niro are good (probably because they were lifted from Puzo's novel - which anyone who enjoyed The Godfather really should read as it fills in a lot of missing back story), the plot of the modern day segments seem to me a bit byzantine just for the sake of it.

• Advertisement

brilou23 wrote: »
    Arrival is worse film I have seen.

Endless grey boredom.

Featuring alien squid ink writing

I hated myself for actually paying to watch that rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭I see sheep

The Lost Boys, cringey nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’ve given most/all a chance and I stand by that. Absolute landfill garbage

I brought one of the young fellas to see that last Avengers movie. The one where your man Thermos wants to destroy the universe and start again. Found myself siding with the guy to be honest, as all the superhero characters were absolute assholes, and I wouldn't want to live in a universe that was that loud or hyperactive either.

Avatar was another one. Complete borefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

The Shawshank Redemption

A successful banker that is wrongly jailed? Hilarious.

The Warden and the Guards entrusting an inmate with their financial affairs? Even funnier

Rich well to do banker befriending benevolent black murderer in prison, inviting him to join him in Mexico if he ever gets out? In 1947 America?

It's a liberal wet dream that's totally divorced from reality. Unsurprisingly written by Stephen King, who has a severe case of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Bizarrely the first time I watched this I was like Annie from Misery (another Stephen king classic) when she went ‘this isn’t right, they just cheated us, he didn’t get out of the cockadoodie car’

https://youtu.be/Br5umHOm3TM

What I meant was the huge flaw in shawshank which ruins the film. Let me explain.

If you have never seen look away now.

Andy dufraine escaping is the point of the film. If he doesn’t the film doesn’t work. As we all know, he escaped via a tunnel hidden by a poster of a pin up.

Now when the governor, and guard checked the cell, they had no clue how he escaped. In anger the warden starting throwing rocks, first at red (Freeman) and then at the cupcake on the wall.

Now listen to 3.05

https://youtu.be/RQSmfzfg2MY

The stone the warden threw pierced the poster. Only way that could happen if poster was taught. If it wasn’t the stone wouldn’t go through, or at least pierce it. Now the only way a poster can be taught is if top and bottom were attached to the wall. If we presume the top was and the poster was lifted to allow Andy get through the hole, no way could he attach the bottom to ensure its taut.

So the fact that it was taut couldn’t happen. If that is faked, then the escape is fake. If he had left the bottom unattached then it works. But no. People, think it doesn’t make a difference. But fcuck it, at least get the most important thing right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The film score from the beginning was like a vice slowly closing

The panic the absolute terror of war

And of course the sound of the spitfire

Full metal jacket is a much better war film,
    Kelly's Heroes is a much much better war film
    Ice Cold in Alex is a much much much better war film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Dumb And Dumber, awful pile of twaddle. Everything in had been done before and better.
    Get Out, great concept but so many plot holes.
    Gladiator, just awful. Be honest aside from Maximus's speech how much of it does anyone remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,463 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My own contribution to the shíte movie list.

The last iteration of "A star is born"

Like a bad film school project.
    The ending was foreshadowed in the 1st scene, not subtlety either!
    By a fúcking billboard! Because the "subtext" might have hard to pick up ;)

It then descends into a pastiche of poorly made music videos held together by hope, Bradley Cooper's brother and little else!

Honestly the only movie in the last 25yrs I've walked out of...

I even stayed for the end of Batman V Superman like...
    And that was awful!

3 billboards outside Missouri

Absolute bin scrapings of a movie

• Registered Users Posts: 27,851 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Gladiator, just awful. Be honest aside from Maximus's speech how much of it does anyone remember?

UNLEASH HELL!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The Lost Boys, cringey nonsense.

Stands up not so bad, it is what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

glasso wrote: »
    not sure if they were ever "rated" to begin with, outside teenage boys with sword obsessions

Ah here, the first two Blade films are brilliant, Marvel flicks before they became a thing, love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

storker wrote: »

Fight Club
    o

Fight Club was probably the first film I thought of. Couldn't believe it was so well regarded. Another Brad Pitt one, Seven. Just thought it was nasty for the sake of it. As for what would be regarded as all time classics, Sound of Music (most musicals really, apart from Oliver, which I like) and Gone With the Wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

Waterworld, The Postman, Dances With Wolves, hell anything that has Kevin Costner!

Waterworld, The Postman, Dances With Wolves, hell anything that has Kevin Costner!

Waterworld and The Postman were universally panned upon release.

Ah here, the first two Blade films are brilliant, Marvel flicks before they became a thing, love it.

that summarises the problem with them perfectly!

if people only knew that the infection would spread so much it could possibly have been killed off early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭jj880

Smacruairi wrote: »
    The big lebowski.

This aggression will not stand man!

Love this movie - also bought the soundtrack - the CD has a blue bowling ball printed on it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Blade runner 2049

Not anywhere near as good as the original
    So eh, who exactly reckoned it was going to be anywhere near as good as the original ?

Aliens, Mad Max 2 and The Godfather 2 belong to the very small group of films that are arguably better than the originals. Though Aliens is a very different type of film but set in the same universe. Mad Max was done on next to no budget and still has by far and away the highest box-office-to-budget ratio for an action film with proper car chases and stuff. Mad Max 2 defined the whole post-apocalyptic desert punk thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,851 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Untouchables was great entertainment, cliched obviously.

No Way Out I think was under-rated if anything.

Dances with Wolves was an epic cinematic experience. Hasn't aged well

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Star Wars 1 to 9

The Revenant

Joker

In my experience For some reason “joker” fans get extremely angry when anyone says it’s not a complete and utter masterpiece...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The Batman movie from 1989.

People were having strokes about it back in the day.

Much ado about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Watched Ronin recently and De Niro really annoyed me in it. Although the car scenes were still good.

Star Wars 1 to 9

The Revenant

Joker

yea of all the films that Leo gets the oscar nod for,has to be one of his poorest efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Erranged

Jaws

Biggest hype job ever

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Untouchables was great entertainment, cliched obviously.

No Way Out I think was under-rated if anything.

Dances with Wolves was an epic cinematic experience. Hasn't aged well

Silverado was good

Advertisement