Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-08-2020, 14:26   #1
gaiscioch

History photos & posters for classrooms

Would anybody know of websites where I could buy/get good quality photographs and posters for classroom walls? I will have a budget for it, but obviously not too big.

I’ve done the usual google searches but the good quality photos are often watermarked and expensive to purchase (usually with Getty). Some of the Vietnam photos here, for instance[/quote] would be good but I’m not sure what resolution I need, or if it’s possible. Similarly, this would be good to put up.

There used to be a shop on the (north) quays in Dublin which sold historical photographs of Irish towns and social history generally. I’d very much like to get photos of the 19th-century evictions and peasant cottages (some of the more famous which were taken in [https://www.google.com/search?q=evic...59&dpr=2]Clare but ones from Kerry, Mayo and Donegal also stand out. Also, any infamous photos of Dublin slums?

All suggestions for photos and technical/resolution issues welcome. Thanks.
Advertisement
30-08-2020, 15:56   #2
Carodh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiscioch View Post
Would anybody know of websites where I could buy/get good quality photographs and posters for classroom walls? I will have a budget for it, but obviously not too big.

I’ve done the usual google searches but the good quality photos are often watermarked and expensive to purchase (usually with Getty). Some of the Vietnam photos here, for instance
would be good but I’m not sure what resolution I need, or if it’s possible. Similarly, this would be good to put up.

There used to be a shop on the (north) quays in Dublin which sold historical photographs of Irish towns and social history generally. I’d very much like to get photos of the 19th-century evictions and peasant cottages (some of the more famous which were taken in [https://www.google.com/search?q=evic...59&dpr=2]Clare but ones from Kerry, Mayo and Donegal also stand out. Also, any infamous photos of Dublin slums?

All suggestions for photos and technical/resolution issues welcome. Thanks.[/quote]

Are you allowed posters this year. We have had to take everything off the walls except for Covid advice posters.
30-08-2020, 15:57   #3
Carodh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiscioch View Post

I’ve done the usual google searches but the good quality photos are often watermarked and expensive to purchase (usually with Getty). Some of the Vietnam photos here, for instance
would be good but I’m not sure what resolution I need, or if it’s possible. Similarly, this would be good to put up.

All suggestions for photos and technical/resolution issues welcome. Thanks.[/quote]

Are you allowed posters this year. We have had to take everything off the walls except for Covid advice posters.
02-09-2020, 21:10   #4
Vetch

The National Library has digitised a lot of old photos, including the Lawrence Collection and some others. The site isn't opening for me at the moment but as far as I can remember, you can limit your search to digital material. Where a photo is already digitised, they will email you images and last time I ordered an image was around €7. The images are really high quality.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion