Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 burgershack

+ 1 for Band of Brothers

Happy Valley,

Broken,

or if you really want a good laugh try Frasier. complete series is on RTE player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Some great shows mentioned here already OP. Of what I've seen of them I couldn't recommend Mindhunter and The Boys (not as serious as the shows you mentioned but it's great fun) enough.

Of what's not mentioned so far I'd have to recommend Rectify to anyone who hasn't seen it (which is almost everyone). It's a straight up drama dealing with a lot of heavy themes and has great performances. It has 4 seasons and 30 episodes but I rathered not binge it and took my time with it and let episodes sink in but that might be just me (I had similar experience with The Leftovers).

Brief synopsis - 'Daniel Holden is jailed as a teen for supposedly committing the rape and murder of his 16-year-old girlfriend Hanna. He spends 19 years on death row. But fresh DNA evidence invalidates his conviction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'll add to what every second person is saying on here - Succession. Outstanding show.

Some people have mentioned The Americans. I can only agree. The first season is maybe a bit lower in quality than what comes after, but from there on it's pure quality. Extremely tense. Very well acted. Brutal and unforgiving at times.

Something completely different is the two seasons of American Vandal on Netflix. People who I know who have tried the show tend to fall into two camps. The first camp can't get past the silly humour. The other camp absolutely love it. It's probably my favourite show on Netflix. A lot of the knowingly juvenile and vulgar humour is front loaded in the first 2-3 episodes of Season One, but after that it becomes an increasingly engrossing mystery. And it's really smart, deceptively smart. I fcking love this show. It's far better then it has any right to be. It's a silly comedy on the surface, but it's really an exploration of the pressures of modern teenage life and differences in class and privilege. And the mystery they weave for season two is positively Hitchcockian in its suspense and its execution. It is a criminally overlooked show. Seriously, people should watch American Vandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭urgelgru

Klonker wrote: »
    Of what's not mentioned so far I'd have to recommend Rectify to anyone who hasn't seen it (which is almost everyone). It's a straight up drama dealing with a lot of heavy themes and has great performances. It has 4 seasons and 30 episodes but I rathered not binge it and took my time with it and let episodes sink in but that might be just me (I had similar experience with The Leftovers).

Brief synopsis - 'Daniel Holden is jailed as a teen for supposedly committing the rape and murder of his 16-year-old girlfriend Hanna. He spends 19 years on death row. But fresh DNA evidence invalidates his conviction.'

Damn, I'm annoyed with myself that I forgot about Rectify! It's so absolutely perfect in every way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Narcos and Narcos Mexico. Both are predominantly in Spanish but after a while you forget and just read the subtitles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Most of my recommendations have been mentioned already but a couple of good ones that I'm a bit surprised haven't been mentioned are The Killing (the Danish one) and The Bridge. Really enjoyed both of those. Probably not on Netflix but surely possible to get them somewhere

Also think Fauda is very good...it's on Netflix.

All three have subtitles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Years and years is pretty good. Been watching that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Gomorrah is overall probably one of the best and most engrossing show I've ever watched.

My favourite show ever, it’s simply superb. Ciro is one of those characters that you can’t help but root for even though he is a horrible excuse for a human being

I think a lot of people avoid stuff with subtitles because they feel they’re too much work but they don’t bother me at all, in fact they force you to pay attention rather than be faffing around on the phone etc

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

The Shield is on Channel 4 On Demand - free to watch, but video quality isn't the best.

Just started watching it on Sky. Nothing wrong with the quality there if you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mindhunter, Ozark and Fargo probably the best shows on Netflix.

Also quite enjoyed Stranger Things, haunting of Hill house and Sex Education. Always sunny in philadelphia or peep show if you're looking for a laugh.

Loads of excellent documentaries and true crime stuff also on Netflix to keep you going until 2021.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Mindhunter, Ozark and Fargo probably the best shows on Netflix.

Also quite enjoyed Stranger Things, haunting of Hill house and Sex Education. Always sunny in philadelphia or peep show if you're looking for a laugh.

Loads of excellent documentaries and true crime stuff also on Netflix to keep you going until 2021.

Mindhunter: I absolutely love David Fincher's work usually but I found this to be good but not great and didn't try season 2. Maybe I'll give it another shot

Ozark: for me, it's shíte ;) Maybe the most over hyped show on Netflix and I've tried it twice now. I don't understand this show's huge following at all

Fargo: Need to watch season 3 for sure. Loved the first two

Always Sunny: An amazing Comedy, it's surely in the all time Top 3 American ones. I'm upto date with it but anyone who hasn't seen it yet definitely should

Peep Show: tried one tired night but will revisit, it has great reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Peep Show: tried one tired night but will revisit, it has great reviews

It takes a few episodes to get into the first series.

My favourite show ever, it’s simply superb. Ciro is one of those characters that you can’t help but root for even though he is a horrible excuse for a human being

I think a lot of people avoid stuff with subtitles because they feel they’re too much work but they don’t bother me at all, in fact they force you to pay attention rather than be faffing around on the phone etc

What puts me off about shows or movies with too many subtitles is that you're focused on the words on the screen constantly so you miss things like an actor using their eyes subtly etc

• Peep show is like the funniest thing that's ever been on television..

Netflix "True" Crime documentaries can entertaining, but the key is to only believe 20% of them and then do the homework after to see what they've left out. It's usually a lot

I discussed it here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058070145

(Short version of the thread: Caroline Baskins is more likely innocent than guilty. And Avery - in my eyes - is 100% guilty of murder, whereas Making A Murderer portrays him as the victim)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Narcos (colombia version (not newer mexico)

Really ? I found the Mexico version just as good. One episode to go in Season 2. That Felix is some piece of work. Both versions are great.

Other than that,

The Wire. (Obviously, never miss a chance to sing it's praises.)
    Better Call Saul - if you've seen Breaking Bad it's a must. Quite a different show in many ways, but equally good.

Peaky Blinders and Line of Duty the best of British, though both are showing signs of creaking at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Peep show is like the funniest thing that's ever been on television..

After Curb your Enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

If ye want to kill a few hours I recommend 'The Death of Stalin' on Netflix.
    Great cast and script.
    Woody Allen type comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mrpdap

Ozark: for me, it's shíte ;) Maybe the most over hyped show on Netflix and I've tried it twice now. I don't understand this show's huge following at all

Ozark season 1 wasn't bad, Season 2 not great, just finished season 3, really superb. Contains one of the best monologues / soliloquies you'll ever see on TV. IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Netflix "True" Crime documentaries can entertaining, but the key is to only believe 20% of them and then do the homework after to see what they've left out. It's usually a lot

I discussed it here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058070145

(Short version of the thread: Caroline Baskins is more likely innocent than guilty. And Avery - in my eyes - is 100% guilty of murder, whereas Making A Murderer portrays him as the victim)

Some fantastic documentaries on Netflix, dirty money, evil Genius, our planet, Fyre, abducted in plain sight, don't **** with cats, Icarus, Dark tourist, Bikram yogi, wild wild Country, blue planet, dawn wall, the staircase, apollo 11 just some of what I'd recommend.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    If ye want to kill a few hours I recommend 'The Death of Stalin' on Netflix.
    Great cast and script.
    Woody Allen type comedy.

I absolutely love the work of Armando Iannucci (The Thick Of it, Veep) but couldn't get into this a few months ago and switched it off. I'll try again though as Armando's previous work is among the best Comedy TV of all time

Some fantastic documentaries on Netflix, dirty money, evil Genius, our planet, Fyre, abducted in plain sight, don't **** with cats, Icarus, Dark tourist, Bikram yogi, wild wild Country, blue planet, dawn wall, the staircase, apollo 11 just some of what I'd recommend.

Did you read that link though? https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058070145 - their documentaries are full of holes

I loved The Staircase and watched it twice before it landed on Netflix. Again though, when you dig deeper into it the makers of it left out loads. Nowhere near as bad as omissions as Making A Murderer but omissions all the same

That aside, The Staircase is the most engrossing True Crime documentary series I've ever seen. For anyone reading this thread who hasn't seen it and is a fan of the genre I'd definitely try it

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Did anyone mention BBC Line of Duty. Found it good.

Sucession was meh

Wire is good.

Homeland - season 1 - 2 - good - 3 & 4 were not good but picks up after. Sone of the best season were 6/7. Give it a go. 8 seasons, 12 episodes seach.

ebayissues wrote: »
    Did anyone mention BBC Line of Duty. Found it good.

Sucession was meh

Wire is good.

Homeland - season 1 - 2 - good - 3 & 4 were not good but picks up after. Sone of the best season were 6/7. Give it a go. 8 seasons, 12 episodes seach.

Read the opening post ;-)

I've seen or tried them all bar Succession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Sam Hain wrote: »
    After Curb your Enthusiasm.

I came here to say 10 pages and no mention of Curb, fantastic show, Larry David is a genius! Not to mention seeing Cheryl get better looking each season.

Just seen on a friend's Social timeline that they demolished all of the most recent season of Bosch in two days. So I looked more into it and I see it has Titus Welliver as it's lead, that very cool actor from the last season or so of Lost

That definitely has my attention and added to my Watch List

It's going to be Succession first for me though as it ticks lots of boxes for me. Now if I could only find an app or website to watch it on with my ancient Tablet .... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Succession takes half the season to get going and then it gets better IMHO.

House of Cards (The US Remake) starts excellently but gets progressively worse. Still the first season is sublime.

Battlestar Galatica is so underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Mad Men. Very surprised its not been mentioned. Up their with the Wire and the Soprano's as all time favourite.

Gomorrah(Italian TV gangland ) is extremely. Like a much better version of Love Hate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Baseball72

Meant to say; I've never seen Life On Mars and the reviews of it look very promising

All of it recently landed on Netflix

Excellent series, followed by ashes to ashes........

• Advertisement

Peep Show is fantastic.
    Also I just started watching The Americans today and am flying through it. I don't know if I'll be able to keep up the pace I'm watching it at now because it's pretty non-stop.

Advertisement