Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New season of Top Gear

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

flazio wrote: »

Awe no way. Awe that's sad. She was always great cricket on Top Gear. I thought she would have made a great Top Gear presenter. I wonder what it was that got her in the end. Anyone any idea what age she was?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

51 per wikipedia

Ms

cdeb wrote: »
    51 per wikipedia

Yep that's right. Only half a life lived. I think she could have drove a Formula 1 car with ease. Such a pity she never got the chance.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Very sad news and so young as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,793 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I did think when she made her most recent TG appearance early last year that she looked quite gaunt. I just put it down to aging, but we know now she had been in treatment since 2017.

Very sad news, a joyful and talented woman, gone too young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Sabine was an absolute legend. First and still the only female winner of the Nurburgring. To say she was handy behind the wheel is an understatement.

I would say she was one of the most recognized racing drivers in the world. Most petrol heads would know who she was if shown a picture of her. How many would be able to name the drivers on the F1 grid other than the obvious ones.

Seemed to be universally respected by anybody that had any dealings with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

That's sad, I loved her appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm lost for words. 51 is no age. I enjoyed her appearances on Top Gear over the years. RIP. :(

Ms

I hope Top Gear on Sunday has a section dedicated to her.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

her reaction to Clarkson's Nuremburg lap

"ten minutes?? pfft i could do that in a van"

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

AMKC wrote: »
    I hope Top Gear on Sunday has a section dedicated to her.
    I believe the whole series was already in the can so it might just be a post credits caption.

they'll surely mention it, maybe at the very end

Ms

fryup wrote: »
    they'll surely mention it, maybe at the very end

Let's hope so. Normally the chatting in or outside the studio part is live I thought.
    They did make a change like this before I cannot remember who or what for but it was Clarkson and co there then.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Hammond after his crash? Though I think that was the first episode of a new series, and they made a big deal of it at the very start and then agreed never to talk about it again.

Last night's episode was dedicated to the memory of Sabine Schmitz with a photo and memorial banner after the credits.

Top Gear on social media stated that there wasn't sufficient time to prepare a tribute package for inclusion in this episode, but that one will be broadcast during the series.

Enjoyable episode last night, everyone loves a Bond car and the Ferrari V8 Vantage is a pleasant thing.

Have to say though, that thrust vectoring jet pack in Flintoff's challenge was absolutely astounding! Lets go Iron Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Have to say though, that thrust vectoring jet pack in Flintoff's challenge was absolutely astounding! Lets go Iron Man.

It was impressive alright, got the impression it would have been at the top of the hill in about 15 seconds if they were not staging the race for entertainment obviously. I believe Flintoff when he says he was probably trying to have a go but the insurance said no way. He seems to have no fear at all that lad.

I also couldnt help but think that the rig would be an absolute b*stard on the arms.

Ms

Last night's episode was dedicated to the memory of Sabine Schmitz with a photo and memorial banner after the credits.

Top Gear on social media stated that there wasn't sufficient time to prepare a tribute package for inclusion in this episode, but that one will be broadcast during the series.

Enjoyable episode last night, everyone loves a Bond car and the Ferrari V8 Vantage is a pleasant thing.

Was an excellent episode. Loved all the bond cars and even the Renault 5.5 lol. Looked like good fun. The chase at the end with the Ashon Martin DB5 and the old Ford Granads was it was good. Loved that Aston. What a car.
    Missed the bit at the end after the credits now raging about that. Will have to record the end of it on its repeat tonight to get that

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It was a Cortina Ghia Mk4. 🀓

i'd have that alfa over the ferrari anyday

i'd have that alfa over the ferrari anyday

Sell it, buy the Roma and an original of the Alfa and still have change.

Restomods have their place, but when they stray into the category of stupid money, you'd have to be the fool easily parted from it.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Sell it, buy the Roma and an original of the Alfa and still have change.

Restomods have their place, but when they stray into the category of stupid money, you'd have to be the fool easily parted from it.

Or just buy the Roma in the first place and the original of the Alfa and not that fake ugly Alfa they had on the show. It did sound great do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

you could clearly see the stunt driver in the Renault 11 from the snippet of the movie, otherwise it was a good stunt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

you could clearly see the stunt driver in the Renault 11 from the snippet of the movie, otherwise it was a good stunt

The Renault 5 and a half racing was good craic. Wouldn't mind giving that a go myself.

only four episodes this season :eek: :confused:

maybe its stretching the bbc's budget to the limit??

surely they'll do a Sabine tribute this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

The season was split, would assume a Sabine special for next season like the McRae special was fantastic and as long time contributer would prefer something like this over a quickly squeezed in cut.

Ms

Yes very disappointing. I was sure when it started 4 weeks ago the epg said episode 1 of 10 then the next week it said episode 2 of 5 them last week it said episode 3 of 4. Such a big disappointment. Where did all them other episodes go too?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think it is a short season because of Covid restrictions. As in, they could only do so much considering they couldn't travel abroad etc.

still not convinced of the current line up, still wish it was C,M,H presenting it

Harris gets a pass he knows his stuff and is a damn good driver...but the other two??

McGuinness gets on my tits sometimes, bit too full on in the - Niteclub loudmouth i'm going to steal your Girlfriend sort of way i.e. he's in love with himself

Flintoff seems a nice enough type of fella, but still a bit iffy in front of camera

What do you folks think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭.red.

still not convinced of the current line up, still wish it was C,M,H presenting it

Harris gets a pass he knows his stuff and is a damn good driver...but the other two??

McGuinness gets on my tits sometimes, bit too full on in the - Niteclub loudmouth i'm going to steal your Girlfriend sort of way i.e. he's in love with himself

Flintoff seems a nice enough type of fella, but still a bit iffy in front of camera

What do you folks think?

Harris and Flintoff are brilliant, but both are awful in the studio. That part is obviously very scripted and it shows with both of them as they can't act to save their lives. When they're out and about having the craic, or in the cars I like both.
    Flintoff has balls of steel and does the Hammond role but better as he just gets on with it without the dramatics.
    Paddy tho is a bit off, if he got dropped he wouldn't be missed.

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    Paddy tho is a bit off, if he got dropped he wouldn't be missed.

yes get rid of McGuinness and headhunt that guy Ant Anstead on Wheeler Dealers if they haven't already... and maybe a lady presenter too ..Jodie Kidd?

Advertisement