Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New season of Top Gear

• 12-06-2019 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

New season stars this Sunday on BBC 2 at 8pm.

Looks really good. Can't wait. No Matt Le Blanc this season which is a pity do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,573 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Does anybody watch Top Gear anymore?

I was happy with the team last year. This year, they somehow managed to get two of the only people in the world I want to watch less than Chris Evans and make them both hosts, which is quite remarkable.

I'll give it a go, but I don't have high hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Turned it off. Paddy McGuinness is alright,rubbish carry between them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm liking this review from Chris Harris on the new Ferrari & McLaren.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I think it might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What a line from Harris about the jumper.

"It smells like a marathon runner's ball bag".

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Thought it was pretty good. The presenters' interactions didn't seem too forced and had a few laughs. Ethiopia looked good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

The presenters' interactions didn't seem too forced and had a few laughs. Ethiopia looked good.
    Would agree with that. But the 2 new guys are annoying. Sound like they'd be more suited to "I'm a celebrity" or some shite like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jaysus, the BBC are really wiping their arses with those presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have to say I enjoyed it. The two new lads accents were hard to understand at first and I honestly have zero idea or interest in cricket but I thought the chemistry worked well. I thought the drive thought Ethiopia was good with there first cars well accept the Porsche. Really a Porsche as a first cars that was just stupid. He could have at least lied and pretended he had a VW, or a Renault or even a Peugeot or Skoda as his first car. I think Flintoff is the new Clarkson. The one everyone does not like.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Some parts were good and there seems to be a bit of chemistry there but Paddy and Freddy don't seem to come across as car people. Will be interesting to see how they get on doing individual reviews.

• Advertisement
    Ms

The latest episode was quiet good and funny in parts. It was an electric car special. There is a TESLA in it too. It is on again at 7pm on BBC 2. Next weeks looks really funny.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Watched it for the first time in forever.....think Flintoff and McGuinnes work quite well but it just now very very loosely resembles a 'car' show not that it hasn't been that way in on a long time anyway

Still think they've missed a trick in never getting Guy Martin as host, could carry a show on his own.....interesting character

Ms

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Watched it for the first time in forever.....think Flintoff and McGuinnes work quite well but it just now very very loosely resembles a 'car' show not that it hasn't been that way in on a long time anyway

Still think they've missed a trick in never getting Guy Martin as host, could carry a show on his own.....interesting character

May be he will be the next host. He does do a lot of shows for Channel 4 do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

First time since the 3 lads left that I can say that it kept my full interest for the full show.

Strong enough start so far

Better than expected

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I really don't like Flintoff but he isn't annoying me as much as I thought he would.

The northern accents are a bit dominant particularly with Flintoff and McGuinness being two very strong characters but it doesn't really matter.

Good season so far imo. Accepting that it's never again going to be the show it was 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Another decent episode tonight.

I like the little "celebrity" challenge part that's not the lap. Something different so it is.

Next week looks like a proper road trip style episode as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Another decent episode tonight.

I like the little "celebrity" challenge part that's not the lap. Something different so it is.

Next week looks like a proper road trip style episode as well.

Haven’t enjoyed it so much in years. Even the simple fuel game at the station was hilarious and so simple and genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

BrianJD wrote: »
    Haven’t enjoyed it so much in years. Even the simple fuel game at the station was hilarious and so simple and genuine.

The fuel game was very funny and the forfit was silly and brilliant.

Another point the crash looked genuine and freddies reaction on checking on Paddy very sincere.

The lads pick on Chris a fair bit more than each other but seems to take it well.

The celebrity challenges are funny but the interview portion is still a bit weak.

Ms

Thought the latest episode was really good and the three lads are really jelling together.

I wonder was the crash in the script. I don't think it was somehow.

That Dallera was some car.

No idea who the two guests were but thought they were good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Thought the latest episode was really good and the three lads are really jelling together.

I wonder was the crash in the script. I don't think it was somehow.

That Dallera was some car.

No idea who the two guests were but thought they were good.

Really? she's a 'Royal' and he's ex England Rugby captain....

as for the show I think it's been brilliant, McGuinnes and Flintoff are just naturals in front of the camera.....there's no scripting here, as such

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

They'd want to tone down the bullying of Chris by Flintoff: I don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

fatbhoy wrote: »

Me neither, that melon over the head wasn't one bit funny. Best the show has been since the breakfast wasn't made and someone got punched imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

When they dropped the hatch door on Freddies head I genuinely laughed out loud, the 3 lads get on well together, it's a recent show to kill an hour on a Sunday night

fatbhoy wrote: »

The nut Flintoff put on him looked pretty intentional too......was funny but yeah WTF? ........suppose from the sport environment he came from stuff like this is par for the course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Wasnt keen on last nights episode... that drive a car through a jungle thing has been done to death. The only highlight was they openly admitted they thought about not showing the video because of the Sultan of Brunei's approach to homosexuality.

The rolls royce SUV was a bit stupid, but at least they were honest enough to call that out too in the review...

Last night was a bit of a let down alright, although good to see a segment with just Freddy and Paddy to see if they can hold their own, and not have Chris to pick on.

I think the rare car could have a been a good segment, but with better challenges then trying to get through bad roads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have to say I like the way the lads help each other when they're in trouble rather than the old leave them behind that they used to do. I'm enjoying this series the lads are starting to get a good chemisty together.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Really? she's a 'Royal' and he's ex England Rugby captain....

as for the show I think it's been brilliant, McGuinnes and Flintoff are just naturals in front of the camera.....there's no scripting here, as such

Didn't Clarkson say that for their new show that they had to stop doing celebrities because now they were a global show it was hard to get someone that was known everywhere, before they could get someone from a Natwest ad and everyone would know them, now they can't.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    I have to say I like the way the lads help each other when they're in trouble rather than the old leave them behind that they used to do. I'm enjoying this series the lads are starting to get a good chemisty together.

Instead of competing against each other in most episodes, be good to see more of them on the road together like in the hearse episode.

Advertisement