Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Watch

• 27-05-2019 2:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Can’t wait to watch this. All the bitching and moaning we forget the monumental efforts by hundreds of crew and cast to make this series.
    Reading this is a love letter to them. They deserve some serious appreciation for their work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Never heard of it.

Could care less.

Oh I see it's some ****e documentary to do with game of thrones.

Sorry the last episode was my last watch.

It was ****e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

This was a brilliant doco. You really get a sense of the immense scale of this production and how gruelling it was on all the crew and staff and extras. But they never lose their enthusiasm for it.
    Well worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Never heard of it.

Could care less.

It was ****e.

Couldn't care less. Could care less implies you actually do care, however slightly. Nonsense English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Titan Enough Cigarette

WHere can it be watched?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

On Sky Atlantic tonight at 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

This was a brilliant doco. You really get a sense of the immense scale of this production and how gruelling it was on all the crew and staff and extras. But they never lose their enthusiasm for it.
    Well worth watching.

It's almost like the budget was huge and they were getting paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,085 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The gifs I've seen of Conleth Hill/Varys during the table read made it look like he wasn't too happy, although they may be out of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Good doc coulda been abit shorter the focus on that one particular extra got very annoying to me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

J. Marston wrote:
    The gifs I've seen of Conleth Hill/Varys during the table read made it look like he wasn't too happy, although they may be out of context.

They look absolutely hilarious based on reddit.
    I'm watching it now for no other reason.
    The reaction to his death was very much indifference & while he did clap (once or twice) for Arya killing the Nightking he didn't seem anywhere near as thrilled about it as the rest were.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Not a bad documentry, why does EVERY program need to have someone with a terrible childhood? I had a good childhood with 2 parents and a good education so I guess I'll never be on TV, be from a broken home/drop out of school and you'll be on TV straight away. The Snowman ffs, why did we need to know about him being in foster care? Why did we need to see him sprinkle some fake snow in Spain???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Looks like he has made a fairly decent career out of snow

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1207505/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Clareman wrote: »
    Looks like he has made a fairly decent career out of snow

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1207505/

He's done well for a northern bastard :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

I've enjoyed this more than the last series anyway !!!

I’ve seen it said Harrington’s tearful shocked reaction at the table read was better than any performance he gave in the entire series. I don’t agree but it made me chuckle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Yeah I thought it was really good, showed the sacrifices a lot of the crew had to make to deliver GoT.
    The husband and wife make up artists that were missing their little girl was quite sad.
    Kit Harrington wearing the jacket your man gave him as well was really nice.
    Kit and Emilia came out looking like really nice genuine people.

There was one clip of Peter Dinklage stating a camera crew are in the room, I wonder if he got cranky with them.

I liked seeing the cast call from season one with Sean Bean etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Enjoyed that. Peter Dinklage's reaction to the crew in his make-up room was telling (as was the total lack of time with many of the more seasoned leads who'd be more likely to realise things were going wrong).

The documentary really highlights that the problem with this last season wasn't just the writing: the scale of what they were trying to achieve meant there probably wasn't time to record enough extra material (even though the material most needed would have been far cheaper to shoot, most of the fleshing out the story needed being relatively simple "characters talking on a set" scenes - Sams stolen books could have produced a great scene to fill in some of the mythos around the white walkers in a quick and cheap way for example).

The pressure to get things done to a TV schedule was telling and it's ultimately what showed on screen: Season 8 should have been split into two separate seasons: one culminating with the defeat of the dead in The Long Night and a final season dealing with Cersei and Danaery's heel turn.

As most reasonable posters have said since episode 4 of season 8 (where the pacing problems and poor writing really started to bite), the cast and crew did an amazing job with what they had to work with and this documentary does a nice job of showing us the effort and some of the sacrifices they had to make in order to do so. It's just a crying shame that Benioff and Weiss selfishly killed the show instead of handing it off to more interested show-runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Never heard of it.

Could care less.

It was ****e.

We're all so glad you stopped by to post that you didn't care with one of the longest posts in this thread.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Enjoyed that. Peter Dinklage's reaction to the crew in his make-up room was telling (as was the total lack of time with many of the more seasoned leads who'd be more likely to realise things were going wrong).

The documentary really highlights that the problem with this last season wasn't just the writing: the scale of what they were trying to achieve meant there probably wasn't time to record enough extra material (even though the material most needed would have been far cheaper to shoot, most of the fleshing out the story needed being relatively simple "characters talking on a set" scenes - Sams stolen books could have produced a great scene to fill in some of the mythos around the white walkers in a quick and cheap way for example).

The pressure to get things done to a TV schedule was telling and it's ultimately what showed on screen: Season 8 should have been split into two separate seasons: one culminating with the defeat of the dead in The Long Night and a final season dealing with Cersei and Danaery's heel turn.

As most reasonable posters have said since episode 4 of season 8 (where the pacing problems and poor writing really started to bite), the cast and crew did an amazing job with what they had to work with and this documentary does a nice job of showing us the effort and some of the sacrifices they had to make in order to do so. It's just a crying shame that Benioff and Weiss selfishly killed the show instead of handing it off to more interested show-runners.

Something I can’t reconcile when I read posts complaining about this final season.
    People (rightly) complaining it was too short and should have been longer. Then pivoting to say the writings been terrible since season ____(insert preference here)
    So if it was terrible writing do we really want another season of it? Wouldn’t it truly tarnish the legacy of the series with an extra season of bad writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Fair play to night king actor who went over to the Spanish fans, seems like a good lad

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Absolutely loved this documentary, it was great! Better than Season 8 of GoT :pac:

You really got a sense of how immense of a project this was for everyone, at a truly unprecedented scale. Families split up so parents could both work, 55 nights of filming for an episode nobody could see, prosthetics done exquisitely for the crypt zombies that never got screentime in the end. Months and months to build Kings Landing and then 3 days later burn it down.

Everyone seemed exhausted but thrilled to be a part of something so large. Everyone involved was putting in the best work of their career. It was really cool to watch.

It just goes to show, the script is the soul of the work. I feel really bad for everyone who has to deal with the massive backlash to the final season, it must be a bitter pill to swallow. And it comes down to DGAF writing by D&D. Shame.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Something I can’t reconcile when I read posts complaining about this final season.
    People (rightly) complaining it was too short and should have been longer. Then pivoting to say the writings been terrible since season ____(insert preference here)
    So if it was terrible writing do we really want another season of it? Wouldn’t it truly tarnish the legacy of the series with an extra season of bad writing?
    I'd say the hope would be with another season they need to rush through the personal character changes (even with bad writing) would make more sense overall as they would happen over a season rather than an episode though what other shenanigans they would come up with could indeed tarnish it even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Most, if not all, of the bad writing was a direct result of the breakneck pace required to finish the series so quickly. Benioff & Weiss are capable of good writing when they take the time to tell the story (as far back as Season 1 we got scenes from their pens which had no basis in the source material). That's what's so utterly infuriating about the poor end to the show: they *chose* to finish it like this, turning down HBOs request for more episodes and instead relying on spectacle to cover up the contrivances and plot-holes they caused by trying to finish the story within too short a run-time. Maybe if they'd been forced to produce more episodes they would still have phoned it in but if they really didn't want to commit more time to the series, they should have handed it off to other showrunners who did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

CiaranW wrote: »
    Yeah I thought it was really good, showed the sacrifices a lot of the crew had to make to deliver GoT.
    The husband and wife make up artists that were missing their little girl was quite sad.
    Kit Harrington wearing the jacket your man gave him as well was really nice.
    Kit and Emilia came out looking like really nice genuine people.

There was one clip of Peter Dinklage stating a camera crew are in the room, I wonder if he got cranky with them.

I liked seeing the cast call from season one with Sean Bean etc.

That was the only time Peter Dinklage was in it i think? and Emilia was the only main person who actually talked to the camera crew,i thought it was a great documentary really showed what went into making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭griffin100

Best job title ever .......Head Of Snow :D

It was just nuts the work that went into making that series. The make up, costumes, set builds, etc. It was never sustainable at that level of intensity, but I'd like to see how that compared with the work that went into Series 1 and say Series 5. Can't help thinking bling was being used to distract from a poorer writing in the last series.

I was completely unaware that there was a pilot episode with an entirely different cast that was scrapped cos it was awful by most accounts.
    I’d love to see it.
    I’d love everyone to see it in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

J. Marston wrote: »

Practically all the reaction shots that I saw posted around over the last week look completely out of context after seeing the documentary.

All the actors were given the script in advance and it seems like they all read it beforehand, aside from maybe Kit, and were just playing off the others for laughs or getting emotional with their friends.

We weren't watching them get the news for the first time, like most of the posts were implying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Romaine

I listen to Michael Rosenbaum's podcast and the only one I've ever turned off was David Nutter's.. I feel like it's everybody around him directing in spite of him, while watching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I was completely unaware that there was a pilot episode with an entirely different cast that was scrapped cos it was awful by most accounts.
    I’d love to see it.
    I’d love everyone to see it in fairness.

It wasn't a completely new cast. Catelyn Stark and Dany were recast but pretty much every other big star appeared in pilot. Some of the original footage actually appears in first episode if you watch close enough (you will see Sansa look younger in scene to scene and Tyrions hair change colour).

And yes by all accounts it was awful. Dany and Drago's relationship is consensual which Cersei and Jamies is not. I don't think they mention that Cersei and Jamie are siblings in pilot. White walkers also talk to each other in weird language.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Enjoyed this homage to those behind the scenes. Night King great craic and have my new favourite character - Head of Snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Romaine wrote: »
    I listen to Michael Rosenbaum's podcast and the only one I've ever turned off was David Nutter's.. I feel like it's everybody around him directing in spite of him, while watching this.

Oh, David Nutter didn't really come out of this doc looking rosy. He seems a bit short with the crew. He's no Vince Gilligan.

Advertisement