Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Honestly, what do you think about Season 8? Mod warning post #1/#410

• 14-05-2019 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I've seen a lot of complaints about it on Facebook, Twitter and Reddit. But personally I don't see anything wrong with Season 8, and feel as if the directors are doing a good job on it. It does feel a small bit rushed but the CGI is amazing.

What do yous think?

Mod:
    While feelings are high atm do remain civil and don't attack the poster. This is approaching the siege of Winterfell episode in emotions and I don't want to have to lock the thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

It's spectacular television - outstanding set pieces, incredible SFX, great directing, great music, great editing.

The writing is dreadful.

I'm not going to watch the last episode..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

It was always going to be a little disappointment to a degree with the ending no one was going to be 100% happy, as everyone over two years has been writing their own stories with their friends.

But I personally am really enjoying it. I like where they have gone with Dani, was always going to happen.
    A little rushed, but I am entertained and looking forward to each episode.

Looking forward to sitting down and watching season 8 in full flow with no episode breaks as it feels like its properly a constant film style narrative now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Great spectacle and it has its moments, but the writing is very sloppy and lazy far too often.....and overall, it's far too rushed.

Still good TV but they were well capable of significantly better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Honestly, it's a let down, and largely because the story feels too rushed.

Dany going mad would be fine if it had more of a build up.
    Embarrassing continuity errors abound.
    First the dragons are invincible, then the scorpions are great, then they're not.
    Non-satisfactory or pointless deaths of many beloved and love-to-hate characters.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭brevity

It’s very rushed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

CQD wrote: »
    I'm not going to watch the last episode..

I gave up half way through episode 5. 8 years of character development binned to make a spectacular battle.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's spectacular television - outstanding set pieces, incredible SFX, great directing, great music, great editing.

The writing is dreadful.
    Well, I don't know about all the editing in Episode 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Meh

Brian? wrote: »
    I gave up half way through episode 5. 8 years of character development binned to make a spectacular battle.

Yeah.. Jesus.. like, I don't care at this stage.. And it's just been so bad. Fnck it..I'm just not going to bother..
    It's a disgrace..

• Advertisement

It’s not that bad. It’s a bit disappointing in parts but to give up at the very end seems a bit silly imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think it's fair to make an assessment until it's done.
    We might look back and say 'ah yes' or we might be disappointed. Either way I don't think it's fair to critique just yet.
    Gotta say I have felt since it began that Arya is the central character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

It's a rather hollow experience so far.

Marvel's Game of Thrones.

brevity wrote: »
    It’s not that bad. It’s a bit disappointing in parts but to give up at the very end seems a bit silly imo.

To watch an hour of bad television to see how the story that has been ruined finishes?..
    F*ck it..I'm sure I'll be told..

Like, the last episode was like an 80s B-movie at times..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

It’s entertaining but quite different in pace to previous seasons. Storylines that have been carefully built up over several years / seasons are rushing to a conclusion, it all feels very hurried. They really could have done with one more season to wrap it up properly.

That said it is still one of my favourite shows ever and I will be sad to see it finish up next week. No doubt there will a plethora of prequels and spin offs but it’s doubtful that any will hold a candle to the original. It really has been eight seasons of absolutely spectacularly good television.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I think it's unfair and off to say the writing is awful. The writing is not as good as previous seasons of the show, but a whole lot better than many other shows I've seen.

Overall, I think it's been fantastic TV. But rushed. Far, far too rushed. 10 episodes would have given them a lot more breathing room to go over plot points.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, there's the rushing and the teleporting and the lack of light and bad dialogue and absurd plotting (dragon/scorpions - twice ) and a whole rash of sudden personality reversals and previously important characters just standing looking at each other. That said I liked episode 2 for its tension!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭PressRun

There's been some great cinematography and artistry on display, and some good moments here and there, but it has been let down by the writing. Feels like the season has been built around set pieces and big 'moments', and the writers have been a bit careless in how they actually get us to those moments and have been a bit throwaway with the internal logic of the show, so a lot of it has ended up feeling a bit hollow or unearned.
    I don't like coming out of an episode thinking about all the different ways in which certain things could have been better executed or feeling like certain payoffs didn't really hit home like they should have, but unfortunately that's how I've felt about the episodes this season.

They had the option to flesh out the ending and spread it out over more episodes, but they chose not to. This is the result of wanting it over quickly, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

brevity wrote: »
    It’s very rushed.

Excellent complaint for someone with your user name :pac:

This used be a show you watched for the story telling. Now they're just going for spectacle.
    they've gone from Breaking Bad to Transformers

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bumders

Awful just awful. The whole show was excellent except for this season.

Is Danerys on her period or something?

Cersis death was just crap, too many conincedences as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

bumders wrote: »
    Awful just awful. The whole show was excellent except for this season.

Is Danerys on her period or something?

Cersis death was just crap, too many conincedences as well

Are you 12 or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Can't fault the show technically or how it's been acted; the cast still tries to give it their all in spite of baffling decisions on where to take the plot over the last 3 seasons.

Ultimately Season 8 has been a downer for me, even worse are the Muppets who will patronisingly share that Ramsay quote about not paying attention if you think this has a happy ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Honestly, I'm gutted and incredibly pissed off at Benioff and Weiss. I've been invested in A Song of Ice and Fire for over a decade. I was one of the sad sacks that turned up to a midnight release of A Dance with Dragons and took holidays from work to read it the next day.

I was thrilled when HBO announced they were going to make it into a series and that GRRM was involved (he even wrote a few episodes in early seasons). I've probably watched the first season 5 or 6 times at this stage (doing re-watches before each season came out)

The quality of the writing has been on a downward curve since Season 5 and, at first, I accepted a lot of the short-cuts seeing them as the necessary evils required to bring a story written to be unfilmable to the screen (ASOIAF was, after all, literally born out of GRRM's frustration with show-runners telling him the budget couldn't stretch to the scale of his first drafts of episodes he was writing for their shows). The plummet in the quality of writing when the show is at it's most successful, and when HBO were only too happy to fund a few extra seasons is galling though.

Benioff & Weiss had the Star Wars trilogy dangled in front of them and abandoned the show that should have been their masterpiece. Instead of doing the decent thing and handing it over to new show-runners who would take the time to conclude it properly, they decided to give us the cliff notes version of the story's ending, forgot all sense of internal consistency and ruined it. They were perfectly capable of finishing this series well. They chose not to and I'll never forgive them for it.

Edit: I honestly feel sorriest for the Cast and Crew. They've done stirling work and the show looks amazing. It's become style over substance.

I would have given up on it if this was it's first season

The story is winding down, there isn’t really anymore scheming that can be done (Varys’ betrayal could have been fleshed out a bit better though). Certain big things have to happen. It’s shocking that Dani burnt thousands of people but it’s not too unbelievable considering her history and what has happened. Jamie returning to Cersi is disappointing but not terribly surprising considering he loves her.
    All this stuff has been built up over the seasons. Yes it’s rushed and perhaps executed poorly but it has to come to an end

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

The plot itself I don't have many problems with it's just the jarring pace and lack of set up that leaves the whole thing pretty flat and hollow after the entertainment of the visuals wears off. Awful writing being poorly executed and character motivations and arcs being thrown to the side.

HBO wanted 10 eps and were happy to throw money at it, it seems D&D wanted to move on and it's a damn shame the show is ending this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I'm honestly not surprised that it is so badly written. I've felt in my gut for a while that D&D are just not interested in it taking up more or their time. Their writing isn't up to snuff and shame on HBO for not sacking them and bringing in better writers. I suppose they've made their money though so who cares, spin offs r us.

Everything else on the show is being let down by honestly god awful writing and continuity. It's a shame. I hope George doesn't leave us with this as the end to his story and I hope he has something ready to release.

That said, I left my expectations for this show to be good way way back in season 6. So I am watching the episodes purely for the spectacle now, and episode 5 did not disappoint. I was blown away by 99% of it. Dany flipping and the white horse aside it was unreal from start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

It feels like two completely different sets of people made the first 4 series to the second 4.

First is a world of epic proportions with naunced history spanning thousands of years, lately just feels like an extended action flick.

Still good in its own right, but not a patch on how the show was a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm still mostly hugely enjoying it. There are definitely some valid complaints, and a few more episodes to make some of the decisions the characters are making would have helped them feel a lot more organic would have made a world of difference. But overall I think unless something completely stupid happens in the final episode, this season's dip in quality won't tarnish the show as a whole and will still be worth a rewatch in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

jebidiah wrote: »
    I'm honestly not surprised that it is so badly written. I've felt in my gut for a while that D&D are just not interested in it taking up more or their time. Their writing isn't up to snuff and shame on HBO for not sacking them and bringing in better writers. I suppose they've made their money though so who cares, spin offs r us.

Everything else on the show is being let down by honestly god awful writing and continuity. It's a shame. I hope George doesn't leave us with this as the end to his story and I hope he has something ready to release.

That said, I left my expectations for this show to be good way way back in season 6. So I am watching the episodes purely for the spectacle now, and episode 5 did not disappoint. I was blown away by 99% of it. Dany flipping and the white horse aside it was unreal from start to finish.

Id have no issue if GRRM were to end the story in the same way (as in the same people die in the same way), the fact that it'd be in book form would just hopefully allow it to be told a bit more coherently.
    I do admit, that I imagined a different end myself, I had thought that the war with the white walkers would have ravaged the entire world, with a last stand scenario happening at Kings Landing. I had figured the likes of Cersei etc would have been killed off due to scheming against her allies while that war waged. Going by the shows depiction, the white walkers were almost a complete non issue for anyone living anywhere that isn't winterfell.

I'd have hoped that the books would contain seiges like the white walkers vs the Eerie, or even the crossing of riverrun, but nope, that all survived unscathed.

Advertisement