Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Special Forces ultimate hell week

• 16-04-2019 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Anyone seen the advert for this, looks another crappy RTE rip off of a UK programme. Soldiers screaming and shouting at recruits then pouring a flask of water over some poor saps head haha.

Comments

whens it on? the cast were on the late late acting like some delta force hit squad, it was fooking laughable. it's hard to take them seriously when the scream in the cupla focal!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Capt Peacock

Don't know when its on as I wont be watching it but I can see it providing the RTE chat show circuit with fodder every week, Tubridy asking them each week..."how did it make you feel".
    The thing is I quite enjoy the SAS-are you tough enough programme on Channel 4. The ex SAS instructors seem more composed and don't scream and shout like the Irish lads. They don't pour a cup of water on anyone's head either!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

It's on RTE 2 now. It's not bad at all. I enjoyed the channel 4 one and this is similar.
    I'll give it a chance anyway.
    I wonder how they chose the contestants? Some looked fairly fit, others less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

People let back in after being taken out for hypothermia?

People let back in after being taken out for hypothermia?

Not sure yet. Probably shouldn't be let stay.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Ran the connemarathon last weekend, if this is special forces training, we are fecked if invaded.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Ran the connemarathon last weekend, if this is special forces training, we are fecked if invaded.
    :)
    Did you run it with a 70lb backpack?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

This is just a copycat of the UK one.
    Seriously couldn't cope with the gorilla with the bogger accent roaring at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Azatadine

So dramatic......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

judeboy101 wrote: »

The girl pulled with hypothermia is a national senior boxing champion.

It's about more than road running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

In fairness, if every little scrote with say 5 previous convictions were made to do this for a week by order of the court, the convictions wouldn't be stacking up thereafter.

Seriously, my head nun was way, way scarier than those 2.

The girl pulled with hypothermia is a national senior boxing champion.

It's about more than road running.

Interesting. Is that the girl that was allowed stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

Would love to see how the 4 army lads would get on at it.

kala85 wrote: »

Well they've obviously been through it before. I presume they're retired now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭mightyreds

kala85 wrote: »

One of them is in the gym i'm in his routine is outrageous, 10 minutes would kill an average man and it never stops full on for over an hour relentless running, weight training, running with 30-40kg weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Sardonicat wrote: »

It's a test of endurance and mental strength, not a frightening contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Interesting. Is that the girl that was allowed stay?

Yep. Think she's more involved with CrossFit now so not exactly afraid of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Not the worst crap RTE have thrown at us in fairness,the gym bunnies won't last ,imo,it'll be one or two of the ordinary built contestants

Hurrache wrote: »

It's a test of endurance and mental strength, not a frightening contest.
    I'm referring to their 'stern' faces in the interrogation room. Not at all convincing.
    And it's neither of those things. It's reality TV, for entertainment purposes. They are performing. Hamming it up for thr cameras. The Oscar goes to bogger, who is incapable of articulating coherently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I go for 10km runs in the Phoenix Park at lunchtime occasionally. I've often met army lads running in the opposite direction with full backpacks wearing army boots and meet them at the corresponding point on my circuit.
    I can do 10km in about 50-55mins and they are doing a similar pace. Not bad going for running in army boots, let alone with a backpack.
    Not easy at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The Oscar goes to bogger, who is incapable of articulating coherently.

The irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

It's an unintentionally funny show. The music and slo-mos make me laugh, especially when combined with Dub/bogger accents: we don't do this type of TV very well, but that makes it very funny. Like the Apprentice when it was on: there's nothing funnier than listening to Irish people talk American bollocks! What's the prize out of all this anyways? To say you won an RTE talent show? :pac: F*ck that! Join the special forces if you want some real credit. I'd love to see the outtakes. They must bust out laughing sometimes, even during the most intense scenes.

It would be funny if RTE killed some of the contestants: I thought the hypothermia might have finished off a few of them :)

Exactly.

That's their point.

Exactly.

That's their point.
    It's a reality TV show. I don't consider enduring abuse from an obvious moron for the sake of getting on TV to be an achievement.
    But hey, take it seriously if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Ah that was grand, I enjoyed that - the banter was actually quite funny. Of course it's hammed up, that's the point. First time in a while I've enjoyed a show on RTE.

I'm sure there will be complaints from the "everyone should get a medal and a very well done badge" crowd.

I'd love to know what sort of disclaimer they had to sign, that looked like proper later stage hypothermia for some!

It's an unintentionally funny show. The music and slo-mos make me laugh, especially when combined with Dub/bogger accents: we don't do this type of TV very well, but that makes it very funny. Like the Apprentice when it was on: there's nothing funnier than listening to Irish people talk American bollocks! What's the prize out of all this anyways? To say you won an RTE talent show? :pac: F*ck that! Join the special forces if you want some real credit. I'd love to see the outtakes. They must bust out laughing sometimes, even during the most intense scenes.

It would be funny if RTE killed some of the contestants: I thought the hypothermia might have finished off a few of them :)
    Someone should turn on bogger, a recreation of the latrine scene in "Full Metal Jacket" would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Someone should turn on bogger, a recreation of the latrine scene in "Full Metal Jacket" would be good.

I had the exact same thought watching it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Using the Eff word a little too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

What is wrong with irish people that they hate on anything done or made in ireland.

Yes the show is a copy of the english one. No doubt licenced by rte in the same way irelands fittest family has been licenced in the usa. Its how tv works.

I thought the show was well done . One of the better RTE shows ive seen . And anyone here that think what they were doing was easy is deluded. You go get roared at for hours and hours while exhausted ,wet and freezing and see how you do. And seriously complaining that they used the F word too much haha . This is designed to stress them out mentally and physically. Cursing at people gets them riled up its part of the process.

All in all a good start and i look forward to the next episode.

Advertisement