Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game of Thrones prequel series confirmed...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,905 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Miranda Richardson, Naomi Watts, Josh Whitehouse, Naomi Ackie, Denise Gough, Jamie Campbell Bower, Sheila Atim, Ivanno Jeremiah, Georgie Henley, Alex Sharp and Toby Regbo cast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/a12438310/game-of-thrones-prequel-spin-off-series-news/

The Game of Thrones Prequels: Everything We Know So Far
    A prequel show was just shut down, but another one is officially in the works.

Game of Thrones might have taken its final bow, will there be more to come from Westeros in the future?

Fans of the fantasy series could rest assured knowing that HBO had a couple of prequel series in the works, but now one of those projects has apparently been nixed by the network. The potential show written by Jane Goldman and starring Naomi Watts will not be moving forward as a series, HBO has confirmed. The project would have revolved around the Age of Heroes, thousands of years before the events on the original GoT series.

However, dragon-loving fans will be pleased to know that another Targaryen-based prequel has been confirmed by HBO. Almost a month after it was first reported that the network was eyeing a pilot order, the company announced that the series, called House of the Dragon, is indeed happening.

Initially, HBO reportedly commissioned five different ideas for a Game of Thrones prequel or spinoff, but it's unclear which ones will continue to take shape. Here's what we know of all the potential shows so far.

The Targaryen Series
    HOUSE OF THE DRAGON IS SLATED FOR 10 EPISODES.

The script, written by Ryan Condal (Colony, Rampage) will cover events in George R. R. Martin's book, Fire & Blood, which details the history of the dragon-wielding family 300 years before the events in Game of Thrones. It's likely the series would revolve around the Dance of Dragons, the legendary Targaryen civil war. Entertainment Weekly first reported that HBO was close to ordering a pilot in early September. A month later, it was revealed that the network put in a full series order.

Condal, who created the series with Martin, will be co-showrunner with "Battle of the Bastards" director Miguel Sapochnik, who is also directing the pilot and other episodes.

In January 2020, HBO programming president Casey Bloys shared that he predicts House of the Dragon will arrive "sometime in 2022." As for the the progress of production so far, he said, "They are starting writing," per Deadline.

The Age of Heroes Series
    HBO CONFIRMED THE SHOW IS NOT MOVING FORWARD.

In a statement released November 1, the network confirmed earlier reports that its untitled project was dead.
    "After careful consideration, we have decided not to move forward to series with the Untitled Game of Thrones prequel. We thank Jane Goldman, S.J. Clarkson, and the talented cast and crew for all of their hard work and dedication."

IT WOULD HAVE TAKEN PLACE THOUSANDS OF YEARS BEFORE THE GAME OF THRONES STORY WE KNOW.

"Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend, only one thing is for sure: It’s not the story we think we know."

George R. R. Martin explained to The Hollywood Reporter in April 2019, "You're looking at a whole different era of Westeros. No dragons, no Iron Throne, no King's Landing."

However, he told Entertainment Weekly that the Starks, the White Walkers (known in the written series as The Others), direwolves, and mammoths all existed in that world. The Lannisters also weren't around yet, but their ancestral seat, Casterly Rock, existed. At the time, there were hundreds of "petty kingdoms" rather than the seven that stand in Game of Thrones.

Martin even told The Hollywood Reporter that a lot of the story was based on "a sentence or two" in his book, The World of Ice and Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and Game of Thrones. "You might find a sentence or two in The World of Ice and Fire," he said. "You certainly won't find 12 pages. A lot of this is based on that line or two, and Jane then took it and came up with something."

KICK-ASS AND X-MEN SCREENWRITER JANE GOLDMAN WAS SHOWRUNNING.
    HBO had ordered a pilot for the now-cancelled GoT prequel, directed by SJ Clarkson. The series was created by screenwriter and producer Jane Goldman (Kick-Ass, X-Men: First Class, Kingsman), who served as a showrunner, and George R. R. Martin. Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss decided not to have too much involvement in the prequels, but stayed on as executive producers.

Clarkson was an executive producer on the prequel, along with Martin, Goldman, James Farrell, Jim Danger Gray, Vince Gerardis, Daniel Zelman, and co-executive producer Chris Symes, HBO announced. Clarkson had previously worked on shows like Orange Is the New Black, Jessica Jones, The Defenders, Vinyl, Succession, and Dexter. She's also set to direct the next installment of the Star Trek film franchise.

There was no official release date for the series, but it could have aired as early as 2020, a year after the Game of Thrones finale.

The budget was also expected to be massive, after HBO's senior VP of drama, Francesca Orsi, said, "$50 million [per season] would never fly for what we are trying to do. We are going big."

NAOMI WATTS WAS GOING TO STAR.
    The King Kong and The Ring actress was the first cast member announced for the sequel series. Exact details about her character were unknown, but she was said to portray "a charismatic socialite hiding a dark secret," according to Variety.

Other cast members included Josh Whitehouse (Poldark), Miranda Richardson, (AKA Rita Skeeter in the Harry Potter franchise), Naomi Ackie (Star Wars: Episode IX, Doctor Who), Denise Gough (Colette), Jamie Campbell Bower (The Twilight Saga: New Moon, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald), Sheila Atim (Harlots), Ivanno Jeremiah (Humans), Georgie Henley (The Chronicles of Narnia), Alex Sharp (How to Talk to Girls at Parties), and Toby Regbo (Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald).

Other Potential Spinoffs
    It was originally reported that HBO had five Game of Thrones prequel ideas in the works, but it's unclear which shows, if any, will materialize. At the 2020 TCAs, HBO's Casey Bloys said "getting House of the Dragon on the air will be the number one priority" when it comes to GoT spinoffs. "Sometime down the road who knows, but there are no immediate plans. We are all focusing on House of the Dragon," he added.

Here's what we know so far about the other GoT prequel ideas, no matter how far away they are from production.

BRYAN COGMAN'S SHOW, PLUS ANOTHER, WON'T BE MOVING FORWARD.
    One of the potential successor shows would've been written by Bryan Cogman, a co-executive producer and writer on Game of Thrones, and George R. R. Martin, Entertainment Weekly reported. They never publicly shared the concept for the series. However, Cogman confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that HBO decided not to pick up his show because the network decided to "go a different way."

Martin previously hinted that their prequel series was in the works back in May 2017, without mentioning Cogman's name. “He’s a really terrific addition,” Martin wrote on his LiveJournal. “A great guy and a fine writer, and aside from me and maybe Elio and Linda [who run Westeros.org], I don’t know anyone who knows and loves Westeros as well as he does.”

Martin also confirmed that a second prequel idea had been dropped by HBO, but didn't specify which one. As he wrote on his blog, "We have had five different GAME OF THRONES successor shows in development (I mislike the term 'spinoffs') at HBO, and three of them are still moving forward nicely."

MAX BORENSTEIN WAS ORIGINALLY SAID TO BE WORKING ON A PREQUEL.
    Max Borenstein, a screenwriter for Kong: Skull Island and an upcoming Godzilla movie, is working on a prequel idea for HBO. He hasn’t said anything about his project, but he did speak to Creative Screenwriting about his experiences working on both smaller scale and big-budget projects. “Sometimes it makes sense for a studio to plug screenwriters who do smaller, dramatic pieces into movies that are of giant scale,” he said. “What they’d like to do is bring those giant-scale movies down to earth a little.”

BRIAN HELGELAND WAS REPORTEDLY WORKING ON ONE TOO.
    Brian Helgeland, who won the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar for L.A. Confidential (and, the same year, the Razzie for The Postman’s screenplay), is working on a prequel idea for Game of Thrones. More recently, he was behind the movie Legend, which starred Tom Hardy in dual roles as twins. He hasn’t talked about the project, but back in 2015 he said television wasn’t for him. “It’s only in the last four or five years that that’s become an option, but I’m not interested in TV,” he told Collider. “I want to make movies so I’m going to die with my boots on.”

CARLY WRAY AND GEORGE R. R. MARTIN ALSO REPORTEDLY HAD ONE IN THE WORKS.
    Carly Wray, a writer for The Leftovers and Mad Men, is working on a prequel idea with Martin. Wray hasn’t done much press around her previous projects—or around this one—but she is coming straight off another critically beloved HBO drama, so the transition would be pretty easy for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Hasn't this been cancelled?

I read an interview with Martin where he said it would fill in more details about the White Walkers of the GoT show.

My reaction was "what's the point?"

Not surprised HBO balked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I think there were a few proposals for spinoffs. To be honest, given the long pre-production and production time involved as well as Covid-19 delays, it would probably be about 2022/2023 before we see it on our screens. Given the anti-climactic reception of the last season and the fact that it will have been 3-4 years since the show finished and tastes will have changed, I wonder will theu go ahead with something that would surely be VERY expensive.

I would imagine that they will see how Amazon's LoTR show and other streaming services fantasy-style shows are received before puling the trigger (Which would delay further)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I think the only thing that would really interest me is the "Roberts Rebellion" story following a young Robert, Ned, Tywin etc. and move away from the Dragons and White walker side of the Stories. I think your right though, the ending to the show really torpedoed any love for a spin off so not unlike Star Wars maybe they are letting the dust settle and they will stick their toe in gently in a couple of years.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

An Arya spin off would be mighty. Pity they won't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

An Arya spin off would be mighty. Pity they won't do it.
    I think an Arya spin off would be terrible considering what they did to her character. For the last 2 seasons she was insufferably smug and now she's this unstoppable assassin what could present her with a challenge?

Stories from the age of heroes could be interesting or something set in Old Valyria.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I'd have loved to see an Arya spin-off but I do agree that she was a victim of the terribly rushed ending of the series. I think have they kept a steady pace it'd have been a great spin-off. I'd love to see the wider world.

At least with other possible spin-offs the characters wouldn't have that chain around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I think an Arya spin off would be terrible considering what they did to her character. For the last 2 seasons she was insufferably smug and now she's this unstoppable assassin what could present her with a challenge?

Stories from the age of heroes could be interesting or something set in Old Valyria.

Hmm. After a long voyage with a weary crew and landing on a strange beach with stranger beings hiding out in the woods she is suddenly not so tough anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Birneybau wrote: »

Prequel series House of the Dragon casts Paddy Considine (Variety)
    Considine will play King Viserys I, who chosen by the lords of Westeros to succeed the Old King, Jaehaerys Targaryen, at the Great Council at Harrenhal

A great actor who evelates any tv show or film he is in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

He really does have a quiet charisma and presence in any of the stuff I've seen him in. Great choice but I'll believe it when I actually see something committed to film. TV and film really is getting a rogering from this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I hate the girl who plays her as well. She's not exactly Lucy Lawless, I think it'd be a carcrash.

I hate the girl who plays her as well. She's not exactly Lucy Lawless, I think it'd be a carcrash.

It seems an ongoing trend these days that kid actors are exceedingly obnoxious in real life. Not that I have a problem with Maisie Williams or anything but I can see why she would grate. Millie Bobby Brown and the rest of the kids on Stranger Things seem like a similar case.

I blame social media tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Does anybody have any trust in HBO/writers/creators to do a good job on this?
    I don't think I could ever re-watch GoT and I thought it was the greatest show on TV for the first 4 or 5 seasons.

CiaranW wrote: »
    Does anybody have any trust in HBO/writers/creators to do a good job on this?
    I don't think I could ever re-watch GoT and I thought it was the greatest show on TV for the first 4 or 5 seasons.

From what I understand of the other show that was cancelled, it was falling down the rabbit hole of letting modern day issues effect how characters are written and presented.

I'm hoping that at the very least, this is a sign that that they are taking care producing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

They have actual GRRM-penned source material for this, something the other shows and latter seasons of GoT didn't have.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

The original (now cancelled) spin-off (the one set during the age of legends, starring Naomi Watts) apparently cost $30 million before it was cancelled. (not the Fire and Blood series - that hasn;'t been cancelled - clarification just in case confusion occurs)

George RR Martin latest (not a) blog has stated that |House of Dragons is 'coming soon' - it has wrapped and now in post production (no date give).

He also listed several other shows set in Westeros (and Essos) under development (draft scripts, well before pre production stages) -

Dunk and Egg series (title not confirmed but possible Hedge Knight or A knight of the Seven Kingdoms )

The Sea Snake - a show about Corlys Velaryon (a character who'll be in House of Dragon)

The Thousand Ships - a series about Nymeria (whom Arya named who Direwolf after), who sailed and settled / conquered Dorne.

The Golden Empire- animated show for HBO MAX about Yi Ti

(Also mentions all the other stuff he's working on, aside from Wind of Winters...)

August 21st release on HBO (a Sunday), so probably Monday 22nd (and possible simulcast) on Sky Atlantic.

Is there an official thread in the TV forum? I can't find one.

Looks impressive visually but I don't think that was ever going to be in question.

Hopefully they have a winner here.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Something to look forward to I hope 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Boy, they REALLY are laying into the whole woman on the throne thing. One of the main reasons that Game of Thrones and ASoIaF has such a (comparatively) large female following is that it has strong female characters: Dany, Cercie, Arya, Briene, Yara, and yes, even Sansa. And I don't believe their combined time on the show mentioned the impact of them being women as many times as this 2.5 min trailer.

I mean, I get it, it's set in a different time period and it's going to be about a lot more than than misogyny but I just thought it was a bit on the nose. While the casting is spectacular, one can't help wondering how many of this cast will survive through Season 1. I suppose that Matt Smith will. I mean with that look, he could chew scenery for YEARS!!! lol

It's going to be a difficult ask to re-capture the lightning of GoT again. Especially after the critical and fan drubbing of the last season. I'll definitely watch the first few episodes and give it a chance but my interest has really waned. As a reader, I've been burned too many times by GRRM at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I don't think so. I'd guess the season 8 effect just has people wary.

• Advertisement

House of the Dragon is on Sky Atlantic on Monday August 22nd (Game of Thrones Prequel)

Advertisement