Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Series Trailer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Can't wait for it. The old Top Gear had gone stale for a few years now. Not expecting miracles but I think it will be good.

And at least the others will be on Amazon soon, nothing wrong with having both of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think they are doing themselves a big disservice calling it Top Gear and that trailer did not give me any confidence it will last beyond a season or two (because BBC will fund it on name alone and prey it will work out in offshore markets which I highly doubt).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The show top gear predates the Clarkson trio, it became a world brand under Clarkson and maybe it can't survive as a world brand without them but it can still be a BBC car show. It looks like they're going for the international market though, probably going to throw the kitchen sink at it and desperately hope people like it.

I hope it works out, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wreaks of desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The trailer looked just like a Top Gear trailer, which is a good thing IMO. They can't lose sight of the fact it's an entertainment show.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Looks shyte.. Evans being his usual self, lots of shouting and pulling silly faces, and what looks like a poor rip-off of the stuff people complained about on Clarkson's TG . 35k dislikes on the video so far too!!

Will be amazed if it makes it beyond a second season. Real TG has moved to Amazon.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Will be amazed if it makes it beyond a second season. Real TG has moved to Amazon.
    I hope it's not the case that Clarkson, May and Hammond are shyte without the production values of BBC to make them look better. :D

I'm going to take new top gear as it comes. I'm not going to have expectations that it needs to fulfil and as long as it has cars I'll be easy enough to please.

The continuity top gear can just be about those three old men doing stuff with cars and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ScumLord wrote: »
    I hope it's not the case that Clarkson, May and Hammond are shyte without the production values of BBC to make them look better. :D

I'm going to take new top gear as it comes. I'm not going to have expectations that it needs to fulfil and as long as it has cars I'll be easy enough to please.

The continuity top gear can just be about those three old men doing stuff with cars and I'll be happy.

Didn't Andy Wilman and some of the rest of the production team move with them? (stand to be corrected)

I'd imagine Amazon will throw whatever resources are needed at this to make it successful if some of their other shows are any indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

I'm holding out hope it'll be good but for people complaining the last guys were scripted that trailer looks very scripted. It's like they're trying to be awkward. That works fine when the person is awkward and can carry it off, (like any of the old top gear crew) but I wouldn't peg Matt as an awkward person.

Chris Harris took part in Blancpain at the weekend. I wonder it TG be doing a piece on it? It also highlights the clash that's going on with this trailer. You have serious people like Harris and Sabine, the thoughts of them trying to ape old top gear awkwardness just won't work, it's not going to be believable. Plus I'd love to see the lifestyle those two in particular live, not them trying to be Clarkson, Hammond, or May.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Another Trailer Just Posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gzCnrR0ZhM

• Advertisement

The trailers keep on coming:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see RTÉ2 will be showing it same day as BBC, not sure how the ads will impact on it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Substitute "Amazon" with "Channel 5" and it's almost exactly the same thing as people were saying fourteen years ago...

Starting next Sunday at 8. I really hope people give it a chance. It'll have a lot of enemies, from those who always disliked TG because it didn't feature cars "real people" could buy, to those who thought the sun shone out of Jeremy's backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If they use this chance to clean the show up from overly scripted events and overly staged jokes then I'll be on-board to give it a chance. I like Clarkson, May & Hammond but their time on TG was getting very stale so this whole thing could work out for everybody if they all use this opportunity.

Matt LeBlanc was an odd choice at first before remembering he's quite a good driver and though fairly reserved outside of acting he can still be pretty funny.

Chris Evans is like Bovril to a lot of people so we'll see how does with this.

The new show can't be any worse than the old when it had a run of boring episodes unless they try to ape that show too much.

It's a balancing act between keeping the best of the old show (the focus on entertainment) and ditching the stale elements (the "races" had become too formulaic and predictable)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

Well I don't think the new TG will be as bad as we expect, BBC have not skimped on the budget for the show, you`ll find that Matt will be very good, Evans will turn out to be the guy we all love to hate.
    Plus the Virgin show may not be as good as we expect, there routine was wearing thin and I cant see how they will do anything different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Top Gear audience walk out

Was supposed to be over by 4; went on "into the early hours of the evening" - so, say, 6 - and people had to be elsewhere so they had to leave.

I would say anyway. But looks like media-bashing of Top Gear might be one thing not to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I see RTÉ2 will be showing it same day as BBC, not sure how the ads will impact on it.

RTÉ's running time is 10 minutes longer and also starts 20 minutes after the BBC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^

strange one that, surely rte are shooting themselves in the foot going up against the bbc no ads transmission..also it must be costing a fortune to being showing it so new and not an old repeat like they usually do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

RTÉ have a content deal with the BBC so it won't cost them anymore to show it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

10 minutes to go when this airs on BBC Two now. Any thoughts beforehand?

10 minutes to go when this airs on BBC Two now. Any thoughts beforehand?
    New "live comments" thread? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Anyone watching this? Evans is shocking! :eek:

Anyone watching this? Evans is shocking! :eek:
    HE'S VERY LOUD, ISN'T HE?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

trying too hard and ya he's loud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm recording it so I can zip through it later but the bit I've seen (the chase in an airfield thing) looks horribly like a bad copy of what the Clarkson and co have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Ya, copy of previous event, and Evans literally shouting in the studio....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Looks a continuation of the same format......stolen ideas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Top TFI Friday Gear

Surprised to see its the EXACT same format as the previous series.

Evans is trying to hard and Le Blanc looks bored

Advertisement