Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New train station carpark Portarlington

• 15-06-2009 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

What a waste of money this is.

Big big big car park when the current one has parking spaces in it every day.

Ok the people parking down the side of the mill aren't helping road safety but until yellow lines are something are put along there they won't move.

The new carpark opened this morning with NO CCTV so are are easy picking for break ins as before.

But back to my org point. Its just a complete waste of money. Increase the number of trains and have them on time, then worry about fancy tarmac and lovely stone walls:mad:

End of rant:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

If you know anything about the car park situation in Port it's been a problem for years that has been voiced by commuters!!! It is needed,all those car's won't be allowed to park there now when the new car park is fully operational!!! I can see the council having double lines down and then the clampers will be around!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jgally

It is a waste of money.

All commuters should have free parking considering we are already paying €2500+ a year for a ticket.

Charge the infrequent users.

And I'm not even gonna mention the bulls*** signs up about punctuality. 10 mins late means the train is LATE.

Rant Over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

kmart6 wrote: »
    If you know anything about the car park situation in Port it's been a problem for years that has been voiced by commuters!!! It is needed,all those car's won't be allowed to park there now when the new car park is fully operational!!! I can see the council having double lines down and then the clampers will be around!!!

I said about the parking along the side of the road but a lot those just want to avoid paying. Not the standard of the carpark. They park there before 7 in the morning and not towards 8 as it was before the charges were brought in.

They have paid parking but no cctv in the new area. If i pay 2 euro a day i expect the basics, including cctv. NOT a lovely stone wall and a lay out that would rival the N7 junction with the M50.

My wife's car was broken into in 2006. There was a time there that every week you saw broken glass on the ground. Now they do a fancy new carpark, which we pay for and there is NO cctv ??????

Do you realise that on average train to cork take the same length of time that they did in 1972 ????? Big expensive trains that run the same length of time as 37 years ago:rolleyes:

I am more interested in getting to work on time than a car park. I am more interested in civil and knowledgeable staff than a car park and i am more interested in cctv than a fancy wall and a bit of tarmac that takes 6 months to build.

What IS needed is tarmac, white lines, cctv and a fence........does that take 6 months ??? does it need a hand built stone wall ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

yeah it's a massive carpark, but i'd hope this is an example of Irish Rail planning ahead for projected volumes over the next few years. If you look at the carparks in stations like Maynooth and Leixlip they're just as big but 100% full in the mornings, so hopefully the double-tracking of the Kildare line will lead to the same sort of train frequency and passenger numbers on the Maynooth line. A big carpark will also give Port. station an advantage for future decision making on infrastructure - perhaps extending the double-tracking from Newbridge to Port and making Port a commuter station instead of intercity station.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

I said about the parking along the side of the road but a lot those just want to avoid paying. Not the standard of the carpark. They park there before 7 in the morning and not towards 8 as it was before the charges were brought in.

They have paid parking but no cctv in the new area. If i pay 2 euro a day i expect the basics, including cctv. NOT a lovely stone wall and a lay out that would rival the N7 junction with the M50.

My wife's car was broken into in 2006. There was a time there that every week you saw broken glass on the ground. Now they do a fancy new carpark, which we pay for and there is NO cctv ??????

Do you realise that on average train to cork take the same length of time that they did in 1972 ????? Big expensive trains that run the same length of time as 37 years ago:rolleyes:

I am more interested in getting to work on time than a car park. I am more interested in civil and knowledgeable staff than a car park and i am more interested in cctv than a fancy wall and a bit of tarmac that takes 6 months to build.

What IS needed is tarmac, white lines, cctv and a fence........does that take 6 months ??? does it need a hand built stone wall ????

100% agree

if something happens to your car in that station after you pay for parking, who is liable? Especially if there is no CCTV?

• Advertisement

Oh you will be as usual.

They couldn't care less about customers. All i have hear if i complain is....."its not my fault, i have nothing to do with it":rolleyes:

End of, car park should have been opened without cctv

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

In my opinion great credit is due to all who were involved in delivering this fine new car park and I agree with OP, it would be a great asset if cctv security and a permanent security presence could also be organised.

With the extra spaces now available why are the cars and jeep that persistantly park outside Odlums tolerated.They are a serious road hassard as traffic from Canal Road has to drive onto middle of road in order
    to asertain if safe to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

does it need a hand built stone wall ????

First of all you are forgetting about any forward thinking with regards to the eventual economic recovery, and the need for a car park of this scale. Secondly, you seem to forget the people living in the estates beyond the station (i am one myself). The car park is well finished, adn the wall looks well, as opposed to the ugle, poor quality, shoddy wall across from it. The number of workers on the site was minimal, as was the plant, and therefore the cost of this will have been kept to a minimum.

So from someone who has to drive past it every day, and will probably use it alot more now that theres plenty more space, i'm in total favour of the development.

budhabob wrote: »
    First of all you are forgetting about any forward thinking with regards to the eventual economic recovery, and the need for a car park of this scale. Secondly, you seem to forget the people living in the estates beyond the station (i am one myself). The car park is well finished, adn the wall looks well, as opposed to the ugle, poor quality, shoddy wall across from it. The number of workers on the site was minimal, as was the plant, and therefore the cost of this will have been kept to a minimum.

So from someone who has to drive past it every day, and will probably use it alot more now that theres plenty more space, i'm in total favour of the development.

Well as someone who uses it EVERY day i would rather cctv than a nice wall. cctv in the old carpark but none in the new one yet when we are still paying for it.

Also this new automatic ticket system is a joke, i know at least 10 people who's tickets won't work in it and they have to go look for staff daily to get through the barrier when you are in a hurry ( i am one of them )

Also i'd rather if they put the money into the siginaling system to get the trains running on time so i get home at the time advertised and not 10 to 15 mins later on a weekly basis.

The 17.50 from Heuston is due to arrive in port at 18.39 but so far this year i have arrived in at that time i would say twice and i get that train at least 3 times a week.

Cost at minimum, its a gov project through transport 21 so i can only imagine the money being wasted on it.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well as someone who uses it EVERY day i would rather cctv than a nice wall. cctv in the old carpark but none in the new one yet when we are still paying for it.

by not providing cctv, does that absolve IE of any security responsibility??

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    by not providing cctv, does that absolve IE of any security responsibility??

No i believe it doesn';t as you always park at your own risk. But common sense says no cctv, bigger risk. For goodness sake look after the paying customer for once.

No i believe it doesn';t as you always park at your own risk. But common sense says no cctv, bigger risk. For goodness sake look after the paying customer for once.

I completely agree with you with regards the lack of CCTV. This should be manditory for a day stay car park. Paying 2yoyo a day, 8 a week, you as the customer should be given some form of safety garauntee. Although IE would still probably not be liable, you still can examine footage, and try and catch the guilty parties.
    As for the arrival times, i get the 17.25 train, and its generally on time (give or take 5mins for irish punctuality). But as for actually building the car park, the wall etc, i'm in complete faviour.

I completely agree with you with regards the lack of CCTV. This should be manditory for a day stay car park. Paying 2yoyo a day, 8 a week, you as the customer should be given some form of safety garauntee. Although IE would still probably not be liable, you still can examine footage, and try and catch the guilty parties.
    As for the arrival times, i get the 17.25 train, and its generally on time (give or take 5mins for irish punctuality). But as for actually building the car park, the wall etc, i'm in complete faviour.

As do i but not everyone can get that and we deserve trains on time at least.

But does spending money on a car park for you rate above trains on time and security. its fairly far down my list to be honest.

As do i but not everyone can get that and we deserve trains on time at least.

But does spending money on a car park for you rate above trains on time and security. its fairly far down my list to be honest.

They have put up loads of CCTV cameras yesterday. Got off the train and there was at least 4 sets of CCTV cameras up. That means there is an insider on boards........:o

They have put up loads of CCTV cameras yesterday. Got off the train and there was at least 4 sets of CCTV cameras up. That means there is an insider on boards........:o

Putting them up and having them working are 2 different things;)

They had hidden cameras there before to catch people breaking into cars......that was fine until a staff member boasted downtown about the hidden cameras and the whole thing was pointless:rolleyes:

Putting them up and having them working are 2 different things;)

They had hidden cameras there before to catch people breaking into cars......that was fine until a staff member boasted downtown about the hidden cameras and the whole thing was pointless:rolleyes:

Fair play. and you're very untrusting, suppose your dead right, but as long as no-one blurts it out down-town, if they arent connected, they'll still be a good visual deterant.

Fair play. and you're very untrusting, suppose your dead right, but as long as no-one blurts it out down-town, if they arent connected, they'll still be a good visual deterant.

Irish Rail charge me roughly 2500 for a service that is not worth anything near 2500.

The service is late.

The staff are rude and clueless.

Money is wasted on pointless projects.

The auto ticket system only works for certain tickets.

I can keep going on, i'll trust them when they do something decent for the customer and put them 1st.

I haven't even started about people smoking all over Heuston and when you say it to a member of staff about it.......its not my problem:rolleyes:

Sure i agree. There is most definitely an attitude problem with staff. but this is a laois thread, where theres no attitude problem just friendly ppl, nice stone walls and CCTV. :D

Sure i agree. There is most definitely an attitude problem with staff. but this is a laois thread, where theres no attitude problem just friendly ppl, nice stone walls and CCTV. :D

Don't mention Big Brother:P

Advertisement