Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fada's????

• 25-04-2001 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

ceist diobh, conas ata sibh ag scriobh na fada's ar an riomhaire. Ni feidir liom iad a fhail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Ceart. Hold suas an 'ctrl' agus an 'alt' key agus ansin type in your lítir.

Nil Desperandum

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

"Hold suas"?

You're telling him to hold the buttons "up"...

I'm sure English is also acceptable on the Gaeilge board (correct me if I'm wrong... please smile.gif)...

To get fada's (a.k.a.: acute accents), it's usually as easy as pressing down the AltGr button on your keyboard (if your keyboard has one of course) while you type the vowel. Failing that, press Ctrl+Alt while typing the vowel. You must, of course, be using a keymap (such as "English, Ireland") which supports accents... as far as I'm aware, this is problematic (or just doesn't work) with the standard US keymap.

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

So that's what that bloody AltGr is for :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cloud:
    So that's what that bloody AltGr is for :-)</font>

Basically, it does the same as Ctrl+Alt (except AltGr+Del isn't the same as Ctrl+Alt+Del wink.gif) - I think it's meant to stand for "Alternative Graphic", and is intended to provide an alternative character for certain keys - the acute accents on the vowels for example.

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

áéíóú

ach níor thuigim gaeilge, deanim gnáthleibhéal...

tá gaeilge orals(?) ammarach...

"The post you have just read is true... and by true, I mean false, it's all lies... but they're entertaining lies, and in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer... is no..."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Donn

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tempis:
    ceist diobh, conas ata sibh ag scriobh na fada's ar an riomhaire. Ni feidir liom iad a fhail.</font>

Beidh sé de réir mar an sórt ríomhaire agus an córas oibriúcháin atá agat, agus amanna féin, do Fhreastálaí. Má tá an t-ádh ort, atá agaimse, níl ort ach brúigh ar an cnaipe Ailt ar thaobh na láimhe deise, ag an am chéanna a bhrúionn tú ar an ghuta. Tá ríomhaire ghlúine le Win 98 agam, agus oibríonn an rud chéanna ar mo PC le Win 95 freisin.

It depends on the sort of computer and the operating system you're using, and sometimes (rarely) even your Server. If you're lucky, like me, you only have to hold down the right-hand Alt key at the same time as you hit the vowel. I'm using a laptop with Win 98, and the same thing works for me on my PC with Win 95. To do this all I had to do was to install "English (Irish)" from my Windows setup CD. US International will work for those in the US.

If you're not lucky smile.gif téigh anseo for more ideas:
    http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/sracan/Failte.en.html
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~abardubh/irish-faq/part03.html#10

If nothing you try works, tell us what computer you're using and your operating system and I'll see if I can figure it out, or I'll ask around for you.

Computer and Internet terms as Gaeilge:
    http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaeilge/foclora/riomhaire.html
    http://gaeilge.sourceforge.net/tearmai.html

(fáilte roimh cheartúcháin)

--
    Ðonn
    each+uisce+at+earth+link+dot+net
    Labhair an teanga Ghaeilge liom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tempis

Go raibh míle maith agaibh go léir. Oibríonn an cnaipe AltGr, agus anois tá mé go sona sásta mar is féidir liom scríobh i gceart. Míle buíochas díobh.

Advertisement