Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Oranmore co galway 16/09/20 17.25 temp 21°C
    HlNqrBZ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Met Eireann is forecasting thundery downpours for Cork, Kerry and Clare this evening - but Meteorite58 is nowhere to be seen!

Guide us please, O wise one!

EDIT:

lightning approaching the SW is showing here: http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

No Meteorite

No Radar either

Non event until realtime then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

pauldry wrote: »
    No Meteorite

No Radar either

Non event until realtime then

Sorry folks. I buried him in my field. I was sick of all the bad news reports:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Heavy hail storm with winds just come though the mountains at my location, sort of thing I would be normally watching the radar for...

600 ft ASL - Macgillycuddy's Reeks 6km NE of Sneem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Heavy hail storm with winds just come though the mountains at my location, sort of thing I would be normally watching the radar for...

radar is back on netweather

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sorry folks. I buried him in my field. I was sick of all the bad news reports:)

Thunderstorms are never bad reports! :pac:

Uppers become increasingly cold, Low level shear available but very little Deep layer shear, Mucape levels meagre and mostly over water ( from the relatively high SST's and cold uppers ) but maybe the odd brief sporadic pulse storm might approach the coast ? Heavy convective rain and hail possible but dont know if there is enough energy and instability to kick start a storm??

What ye reckon.

Maybe over high ground in the SW in a bit from the coast with the combination of frontal forcing and orographic lift or along S coasts ?

1Mn9EOo.png

qPYpMEe.png

anim_udu6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭mcburns07

One long clap of thunder in East Cork a few moments ago.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Malahide earlier today.

527248.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

mcburns07 wrote: »

Looks like some heavy rain going through

Sferic picked up

zBt9BrC.png

pIsQcB1.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭mcburns07

mcburns07 wrote: »

And another :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Seeing a few flashes in cork city, no thunder though!

• Seeing a few flashes in cork city, no thunder though!

I can hear rumbles in the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Thought I saw a flash of lightning there alright in Cork city. No thunder. Wasn't sure did my eyes deceive me or not

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ooh! Sferics showing up just off the coast. Didn't notice anything here in city centre, but hoping!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I can hear rumbles in the distance.

Where are you?
    Seems to be more carrigaline area, by the coast, judging by Blitzortung.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

North Dublin. The sound of rain actually woke me up! Extremely violent and loud rain, minimal easing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

After seeing a fair few flashes of lightning to the east from Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Lightning, thunder and our first heavy hail shower of the season here in Achill now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Looks like there's some decent action around the Dingle peninsula.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Lightning strikes East and West of my location, but none here yet. Lots of short windy squalls coming through with heavy rain.

Edit: Mostly short hail storms now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Distant rumble of thunder in West Clare, hail now falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Loud rolling rumble of thunder following heavy hail shower in West Clare.

Update: saw a flash flowed by another very loud rumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Had thunder, lightning and hail out here earlier and hail early yesterday.

West Mayo offshore

A fair bit of activity since midnight after all.

Netweather

527348.PNG

Thurs has a passage of a trough with very cold uppers spreading in over the country and later down the W / SW.

Like last week low deep layer shear, some surface shear but limited, little in the way of diurnal heating, looks to be a fairly cold day but CAPE levels could produce some storms , could be slow moving with locally heavy downpours and uppers cold enough to produce hail . Lapse rates decent.

Later Thurs night will be watching the W/ SW to see if storms develop over the sea and maybe some straying on to land ? Very cold uppers over relatively warm SST's. Will see.

jxdYJ3q.gif

anim_ipu0.gif

anim_jzf0.gif

8q8babT.gif

Met Eireann mentioning risk of thunder and hail , more so in Northern counties tomorrow.

Cold uppers and mid levels and trough moving in over Ulster tomorrow, convection with some big showers at least. Will see if anything sparks up.

Good brisk NW / Wind tomorrow giving a fair Windchill.

3igR3QA.gif

anim_rko0.gif

anim_asq1.gif

anim_uur9.gif

arpegeuk-43-24-0_rrj1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭cml387

Lightning and thunder (just one so far) in Clonmel

A few sferics showing up today and a good few hail showers reported. Got caught in one very heavy shower in Tralee, but grand sunny day in general .

It's gas, no strikes showing up after all in Northern counties.

oQ3uOvb.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Just to say thunder is highly unpredictable.

Advertisement