Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cherry blossom

Options
  • 28-11-2020 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

Hi all

No horticulture knowledge but I’ve seen - what I think - are a a number of cherry blossom trees with flowers blooming.

Is it not too early for this? Is it not spring for them to bloom?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Some are winter flowering. Prunus subhirtella. I've two of them one started this week, the other is close behind it. The great thing about them is they will flower away for ages. They aren't as showy as the spring flowering type but a lovely addition to a winter garden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭karlitob

Some are winter flowering. I've two of them one started this week, the other is close behind it. The great thing about them is they will flower away for ages.

Very good. Are they a different species. As in a winter flowering species or a ‘normal’ cherry blossom. It’s very nice to see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I just edited my post Prunus subhirtella is one. Google winter flowering cherry and you'll find a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭eusap

is a cherry blossom a cherry tree, i.e. can you eat the fruit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭macraignil

eusap wrote: »
    is a cherry blossom a cherry tree, i.e. can you eat the fruit?

Some cherry trees are grown more for their flowers rather than their fruit and some are known not to produce fruit. Those that do produce fruit can also have nice flowers but the taste of some cherry fruit is better than others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement