Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Forum Games Sheepish Advent Calendar 2020!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

24hrs a day after lockdown, that's what I heard

That's just Penney's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,339 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

And I'm in :)

I’m in!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Strawbs and Shelly bring us up to 35!
    A real bumper crowd

Still a good few regular names missing too, can we get to 40? :pac:

Only just spotted this!
    Can't believe I forgot.
    I'm in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm ashamed to say I have my Christmas Shopping all done this year, because of lockdown I did it all online there last week just to be on the safe side. Usually I wait until December 17th/18th head into the City Centre or Dundrum SC and try to beat my previous record of how quick I can do it from the year before... Last year I had the lot down to 23 minutes (which included till queueing time) and then went for lovely pints by myself, in a nice empty pub off the beaten track, with nary a Christmas decoration in sight (because Christmas is the worst), and it was great.

Still a good few regular names missing too, can we get to 40? :pac:

It's okay EN, don't worry, I'm here now...

giphy.gif

It's okay EN, don't worry, I'm here now...
    tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm ashamed to say I have my Christmas Shopping all done this year, because of lockdown I did it all online there last week just to be on the safe side. Usually I wait until December 17th/18th head into the City Centre or Dundrum SC and try to beat my previous record of how quick I can do it from the year before... Last year I had the lot down to 23 minutes (which included till queueing time) and then went for lovely pints by myself, in a nice empty pub off the beaten track, with nary a Christmas decoration in sight (because Christmas is the worst), and it was great.
    Are you me??? :eek:

(or aspirational me, never quite got to 23 mins, I am DEEPLY impressed!)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Are you me??? :eek:

(or aspirational me, never quite got to 23 mins, I am DEEPLY impressed!)

I've always believed its not something to waste much time or energy on, so I usually pick out 2-3 shops, usually got around 9 or 10 people to buy for, and the original goal when I was about 18 or 19 was to get everything done in less than an hour, and year by year I've whittled minutes off that time, until I now have it down to a fine art... ;)

It was either 23 or 18 I got it down to last year... I did write it down (because I'm a nerd like that) but can't find my daily planner from last year to confirm - was something in or around that anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Does Gt Aunt Jemima's socks that she brought me and that I intend to re-gift to Uncle Cecil count as shopping?

Spook! This is your Uncle Cecil. Thanks a bunch you cheapskate :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I've always believed its not something to waste much time or energy on, so I usually pick out 2-3 shops, usually got around 9 or 10 people to buy for, and the original goal when I was about 18 or 19 was to get everything done in less than an hour, and year by year I've whittled minutes off that time, until I now have it down to a fine art... ;)

It was either 23 or 18 I got it down to last year... I did write it down (because I'm a nerd like that) but can't find my daily planner from last year to confirm - was something in or around that anyway.

Ah another Lynx gift set this year I see LeVar. Thanks, how thoughtful

ShaneU wrote: »
    Ah another Lynx gift set this year I see LeVar. Thanks, how thoughtful

Nah, I've never bought "smellies" for people, I've always considered that the ultimate sh*t gift, you may as well be saying "we thinks you stinks, so here's some Lynx"... which of course should be their official slogan

Books and/or Booze are my usual go to's when buying for people.

I've 100% nailed the answer.

Lynx gift set is the ultimate "I don't care about you."

Books and/or Booze are my usual go to's when buying for people.

When you gift a book, do you sign it/write a message inside?

No way, I would never even consider disrespecting a book like that!

Also if the person I give it to wants to re-gift it, give it to charity, sell it, etc. (none of which bothers me, its theirs to do with as they please once I've handed it over) writing a message inside prevents/devalues that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Only do that if you are the author!

Random aside - did you see the story recently about the author who wrote a new short story inside signed copies of his novel? Each book has one word in it, people are trying to piece it together on twitter...

https://mashable.com/article/will-maclean-the-apparition-phase-hidden-short-story

Random aside - did you see the story recently about the author who wrote a new short story inside signed copies of his novel? Each book has one word in it, people are trying to piece it together on twitter...

https://mashable.com/article/will-maclean-the-apparition-phase-hidden-short-story

That's pretty cool actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Just sent in my entry. Do I have to wait until Christmas Morning before I can unwrap my wooden spoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Spook! This is your Uncle Cecil. Thanks a bunch you cheapskate :mad:

It's the thought that counts, and I thought your bunions would like some comfy warm coverings

71VQxjnYmLL._AC_SL1016_.jpg

But if you're not happy I'll wait until your birthday!

bah-humbugidiom.jpg

Just sent in my entry. Do I have to wait until Christmas Morning before I can unwrap my wooden spoon?
    Santa has the wooden spoon ready, on Christmas Eve I'll let him know who to deliver it to!

copenhagen-denmark-20th-july-2016-this-santa-claus-wearing-a-traditional-GE3PPW.jpg

...can we get to 40? :pac:
    We can :D
    40 entries, brilliant!

Still 2½ hours left to get your entry in, and every answer affects the scores

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

and every answer affects the scores

So what you're saying is my answer was definitely right it's just everyone else that got it wrong.... :pac:

Loughc wrote: »
    So what you're saying is my answer was definitely right it's just everyone else that got it wrong.... :pac:
    Everyone's answer is definitely right, it just that everyone else is wrong :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

tscul32 wrote: »
    My first sheep game. Answer submitted - thanks Electric Nitwit.

My shopping is mostly done at this stage, but that's just this year, not much else to be doing other than online shopping.

Great to see you over here tscul!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

DvB wrote: »
    First time player here (popping over from the Christmas forum) & answer submitted.

FTR started the present shopping in September & more or less finished it last week.

Oh another one - we are multiplying!! Loughc got me hooked in here a few years back and then abandoned me!!

Time's nearly up for any late entries!

We have 43 players so far :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,822 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Am glad I (just about!) got my entry in before EN posted above !
    Not that it will make any difference to my usual enlightened answers :pac:

Advertisement