Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dual citizen, the airline carriers, the passport validity and travel

• 23-01-2020 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

The facts:
    Dual citizen minor who's Australian passport runs out end of May this year. His Irish passport is valid until mid 2021.
    Travel booked for end March through to beginning of May to Australia via Singapore.

As an Australian citizen he can't enter Australia on his Irish passport with an Evisitor visa. By the websites, it looks like there isn't going to be a problem entering/leaving Australia on his Australian passport as its still valid for the duration of his stay in Australia.

The problem may be at the checking counter at Dublin airport. They may see that there is less than 6 months to run on his Australian passport and deny travel. Even though we're travelling on his Irish passport which is valid until next year.

Does anyone know what the likely outcome will be? Anyone with experience on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Depart Ireland using Irish passport.
    Arrive in Australia using Aussie passport
    Depart Australia using Aussie Passport.
    Arrive in Ireland using Irish Passport.

I've never had an issue before, but I've never run close to expiry on one yet.

I'd just get the renewal ordered anyway, still plenty of time.

I guarantee someone at Dublin Airport will give you the big "computer says no" effort at check in, just ask for a supervisor. Try online check-in so all you have to do is a bag drop, but it may present the same issue when the expiry crops up...

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/applying-online-or-on-paper/online#passport

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Depart Ireland using Irish passport.
    Arrive in Australia using Aussie passport
    Depart Australia using Aussie Passport.
    Arrive in Ireland using Irish Passport . . . [/i]
    The child will have to present his Australian passport when boarding in Dublin, since an Irish passport without an ETA won't secure admission to Australia, and the airline won't take him if they think he might be refused entry.

There should be no problem about the fact that the Aussie passport has only a few weeks to run; it will certainly secure him admission to Australia, which is all that the airline needs to worry its pretty little head about. But common sense isn't always that common and, as you point out . . .
    I guarantee someone at Dublin Airport will give you the big "computer says no" effort at check in, just ask for a supervisor.
    So there may be a bit of drama, but it should be resolved. But, as you say, it can be avoided altogether if the child renews his Aussie passport before travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fig

Ah yes. About that Australian passport renewal process.

The processing time is about 3 weeks. The processing time does not start until there is a physical interview with an Australian Passport officer. To get an interview, it needs to be booked. The earliest time for that interview is end of February. End February + 3 weeks is about the same time we're travelling. Not going to leave ourselves open to that fortune.

So if we don't get an earlier appointment from the Passport Officer, we'll travel with what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Because your child is an australian citizen and has a valid passport, there should be no problem at the dublin desk (I assume you mean when they check the visa)
    When you arrive in Australia you can renew express in a few days (although is expensive)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Nobody in Dublin even needs to see his Australian passport though. He is an Australian citizen so always entitled to re-enter Australia. As he is leaving on his Irish (perfectly valid) passport there is no need for any drama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Nobody in Dublin even needs to see his Australian passport though. He is an Australian citizen so always entitled to re-enter Australia. As he is leaving on his Irish (perfectly valid) passport there is no need for any drama.
    The airline will not allow him to board in Dublin unless he produces (a) an Irish or other passport with an ETA for Australia, or (b) an Australian passport. He doesn't have (a) and can't get it, so it will have to be (b). Therefore, he will need to produce his Australian passport in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fig

We ended up getting a new passport from the Australian Embassy in Ireland. After all the warnings of delays and misgivings, the new passport arrived pretty speedily.

Advertisement