Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laser eye surgery with optilase

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DowtchaBai

Hi folks,

Couple of weeks post-PRK with Optilase and just wanted to come on and share my recovery experience. I know when I was in the thick of it over the first few days, there were definitely some things that I wished I could have found reassurance online over - so hopefully this summary brings comfort to anyone who is going through that right now or in the future reading this!

First off, prepare yourself for a 12-hour period on day 2/3 which will be the absolute peak of any pain and discomfort. I think once you know its coming, it becomes a little bit less daunting. Thankfully I had been warned by a friend who had went through it 6 months ago, so I was mentally prepared. The special drops you get in the aftercare pack are for precisely this period, so don't be afraid to use them. Your eyes will be streaming, nose running and it will feel like you have got sand in your eye. It's tough and there is no sugarcoating it. If possible, get yourself some good painkillers beforehand (I had Neurofen Plus, a life saver). The FML drops are a real help during this period too, and don't be afraid to use a little extra as needed.

After that, things get considerably easier, I promise! The main discomfort on days 4 and 5 is when the bandage contact lens begins to irritate due to being in there for a few days. During this time, you will also feel like your vision is getting worse, but don't panic. That is purely just the contact lens getting fogged up due to the volume of drops you are using. The irritation and blur will be lifted as soon as the contact comes out at your 5-day post-op check in.

My vision has been improving day-by-day over the last few weeks, and I'm probably pretty close to 20/20 now. There is still a slight blur with screens and that if I'm staring at them for a prolonged period (not ideal when you work at a computer all day), but otherwise everything has gone well thankfully.

If you are after reading horror stories about PRK and have been put off it, I promise it isn't as bad as some make it out to be. I read every single review and blog I could find in the lead up to my surgery, and although that day 2-3 was definitely not easy, it was nowhere near as bad as I have seen it made out.

Finally, I can't recommend the Optilase crew highly enough. Always only a phonecall away for anything, and really reassuring on the day of the surgery itself.

TL:DR - don't make the same mistake I did, stop putting off PRK!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

Hi all

Some very useful information in this thread. Thanks!

I’m going to get the surgery done but am trying to decide between Mater Private and Galway Clinic. Galway would suit me better but haven’t read much here about it.

Im presuming nobody has been to both 😂 but would still love opinions on them… And surgeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Loucx1989

This is so helpful thank you! Booked for PRK Oct 15th, I have a very high prescription of -8.75 so it really will be life changing for me. Preparing for the day 2/3 pain, I read the reason for this is the top layer of cells growing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DowtchaBai

That's exactly right. Once you get through that few hours its plain sailing, but definitely make sure to get yourself some good painkillers and don't hesitate to use the drops they give you. Otherwise, the very best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

At the time it was Michael O'Keefe but I'm not entirely sure if he has retired since I had it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 anomalyronan

Hey guys, going in for PRK with Optilase next week. Have been years threatening to do it but finally biting the bullet.

This thread has been very helpful in hearing peoples experiences and what to expect. It doesn't sound pleasant but definitely sounds worth it. How soon were people back to work after PRK? Or able to drive even? I hear your vision gets gradually better over a number of weeks, but what did people do in the mean time while it was slightly blurry? Use their glasses or just endure the blurred vision for while it lasted?

Also, would anyone have a referral code they could send me? :)

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭alicenyhan

Pm sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Thanks all for the fast replies and dm's. Got sorted with a referral. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Hi, I'm going fir a consultation next week for PRK. What kind if price range are we talking? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭alicenyhan

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Mine cost €3k but that was 5 years ago, I'm sure it's probably closer to €4k now. The consultation is free anyway so there's no harm in going to that and see what they say you're under no obligation to go ahead with the surgery if it's too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I have read a few comments here about strong pain for a day or two after procedure. It's not a guarantee. I had my procedure in may this year and had no real pain afterwards. Went to bed and slept. Took the drops and followed the post op guide. No real pain.

My biggest issue was my near vision. It was quite blurry for a while after the op. I am over 40 so it was explained that it could be affected. Still it is worse than before. Distance is perfect and I am very happy with the outcome.

€3840 is my total price. I have applied to a finance company called humm that they recommend, to pay it off in instalments, I have a direct debit going out for contact lenses as it is so I'm rationalising it that way. I think the cost of credit will work out at €400 over two years, so brings the total price up to €4240

They require a €400 deposit to book the surgery date.

I have a health insurance which I should be able to claim 20% back from and tax relief should come to another 20% too I think so that will bring the bill down 🤞

I've my pre surgery consultation this evening, so all going well I'll be given the all clear for next Mondays surgery.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Loucx1989

Hi All,

I had PRK on Oct 14th with Dr Nafa Bader in Optilase, have my one month check up next week. The op itself is completely fine, if you mention you are nervous, they will give you valium ( I got it). It was about 10 mins in total and nothing at all to worry about, really do not feel a thing during the procedure. However, my prescription was -8.75 in both eyes and if I had my time again, I may have gone elsewhere. Only reason for this is that with my level of prescription, it was less than ideal only seeing the surgeon right before the op. He had asked to see me prior and this was not communicated to me at all so I went in expecting to have surgery and he was very on the fence about doing PRK and said he would prefer to do lens replacement. He told me there was a 10-12% chance my vision would regress or that I still may need a very low prescription to correct my vision fully after surgery. I decided to take the chance as I was 100% reliant on glasses and contacts so a drastic improvement would be life changing and I have to say it really is! On my 5 day post op, I had 20/20 vision in one eye! Other eye a bit behind but that is normal. Vision is really good, I do have the glare at night time driving and some days its hard to work at a computer for 8 hours but not impossible. On to my recovery, Day 2 to Day 3 was far worse than I expected. The pain of the top layer growing back was really bad. The only thing to give me relief was the numbing drops you are given and told to use as a last resort, cam only be used for 48 hours post op so I suffered after this. It was 100% worth it though and having seen my sister recover from Lasik, it is a total different ball game. A few hours of pain compared to a few days. Nurofen plus and panadol night were my best friends but really I think the should prescribe stronger pain meds. As a disclaimer, I will say I was an extreme case (higher the prescription, harder recovery from my own research) so this may not be the case for everyone. I would definitely do it all again if it meant I would have this result. I will also add that I was a full 7-10 days before I could work from home and and luckily had the bank holiday weekend in that time. My vision is definitely not perfect but compared to what I was previously, its amazing! Happy to answer any questions at all as this thread was very helpful to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Potis 2020

Had mine done in mid-August (Lasik with Optilase). Had no pain during or after the procedure, just a very mild stinging sensation and sensitivity to light for a few days. I have had quite a bit of dryness so am still taking drops. I also find driving at night a little challenging due to flare, but apparently this will ease at time.

I was shortsighted and my long distance sight is excellent now. However, I now find I struggle to read font on things like shampoo bottles, ingredients on jars etc. where I had no issue previously. I feel like my parents - adjusting my arm length and trying to find the perfect lighting conditions! I mentioned this at Optilase during a check up and they assured me it would settle down, but it hasn't yet.

Has anyone else had the same experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 OpenAllHours

BEST DECISION I EVER MADE.

I'm involved in a lot of sports so wearing contact lenses was getting to be a pain. I also am a teacher so would constantly be taking on and off glasses and forgetting where I left them. I had LASIK surgery in Dublin in September 2021 and it was the best thing I ever did. Very professional before, during and after care second to none. Surgery itself took no length and very quick recovery.

Couldn't recommend it enough and if anyone has a particular question or needs a referral to get €100 off just send me a message!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Got mine done 7 years ago. Lasik.

Was grand for years apart from glaring when looking at lights or reading bright text.

The last year or so eyesight is worse than it was before the surgery. Dont think id bother getting it done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Snoozecruise

Hi guys, getting surgery this week at 1/2pm, just wondering how long/many hours you experienced light sensitivity & pain for? Conscious about getting dinner and maybe a stroll around the Xmas markets! 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I couldn't keep my eyes open after the surgery anyway so walking around town would have been totally out of the question for me! You're better off staying in and resting for the evening to be honest. The lights could drive you crazy even with sunglasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Snoozecruise

Okay thanks for the advice :) good to know...were your eyes bloodshot for long or bruised after?

Yeah my eyeballs were bruised alright after - just little blood marks. They cleared up after a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 siobhan5454

I would reccomend going straight home! The pain will kick in quickly and you won't be able for the brightness! I would say go home and close your eyes 😅 I had my Lasik app at 2pm. It was 4.30pm before the actual surgery due to forms, talking to consultant etc. I was out at 5pm and pain kicked in about 5.30pm til 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Out of interest, would something like this not be covered by the lifetime guarantee they talk about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm getting my consultation at Optilase today. My prescription is - 6 in one eye, - 4 in the other. I did get consultations done in both Optilase and Optical Express about 10 years ago, both said I would be totally suitable for the procedure, so hopefully that is still the case!

Couple of questions...

I'd like to use my brother as the referral, only thing is, he got his done in Belfast. Does that matter? Also, is there anything he has to do in advance, or do I just give them his details at the consultation?

What's the story with sedation? Some people seem to be offered it and not others? To be honest I don't think I'd be willing to commit to the surgery unless they can tell me in advance that I'll be given it on the day. I do have severe anxiety, so maybe that'll go in my favour, in this instance.

Can anyone tell me about finance options... What's the least anyone has had to pay upfront? I'd be looking to finance as much of it as possible, but should hopefully be able to pay it all off within a year.

Any idea what waiting lists for the actual surgery are like at the moment?

Any suggestions for getting the price as low as possible? I have VHI. And I'm a Therapie customer, so I think there's 10% off for that.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

1. Shouldn't matter that your brother got it done in Belfast. When you give his name as your referral, he will need to ring wherever you're getting it done to confirm the referral and he'll be sent his cheque a few weeks after your surgery.
    2. I was told that I'd have to ask for sedation. They don't seem to offer it openly but will give it to you no problem if you ask for it. Takes the edge off if you're anxious so would definitely recommend it.
    3. No idea regarding finance and waiting lists. I'm assuming you'll have to go for another consultation as your one was so long ago. They'll give you all the details then. Ask to be put on the cancellation list. They'll take more money off the price if you can do it last minute.
    4. Make sure to claim your 20% back after the surgery. Try to refer people to make back some of your money.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Hi all, just starting into week 4 post Lasek with optical express. I thought I’d share my experience to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. The first 24-36 hours were bloody painful, no way getting around that.

On day 5, they took out the bandage lens, eyes felt much better after that. They gave me different eye drops and gel to better lubricate my eye

I’ve found that my vision still fluctuates quite a bit, my near vision is quite bad still but distance is getting better. I’m not hugely worried yet as I know it can take 3 months or more to fully heal.

I can do most daily task ok but find reading screens hard at times. The best way I can explain it is that everything is blurry, more so closer things and less so when it comes to distance. The most noticeable thing I notice is that I look blurry when I look in the mirror

I’m due my 1 month check up on March 5th so hopefully it’ll continue to improve

Also, I had lasik 7 years ago, that’s why I had to go for Lasek this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭schnorkleborg

Hi all, I'm booked in for LASIK in 2 weeks and this thread has been a real help in making the decision to finally go for it.

If one of you lovely people could provide me with a referral today so I can get all payed up that'd be great.

Advertisement