Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Boycat is now firmly attached to me abed. There is no naysaying him.. He just burrows regardless. Then Selkie arrives on the other side of me... They forecast cold weather.. Who needs met.ie :D Or a hot water bottle..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My dog has had a eye ball removed a few months ago and has a cataract in his last eye and didn't realize how blind he is until today after the lockdown I brought him in my car to a place and he kept walking into things. He must have the house and garden memorized as he can get around pretty decently but does get stuck in a corner now and then and I'd guide him back. He used to have beautiful brown eyes but now the last eye ball is dark.

He is also 16 years old. He will actually be 16 years and two thirds of a year old on Friday. So 16 years and 8 months old.

My dog has had a eye ball removed a few months ago and has a cataract in his last eye and didn't realize how blind he is until today after the lockdown I brought him in my car to a place and he kept walking into things. He must have the house and garden memorized as he can get around pretty decently but does get stuck in a corner now and then and I'd guide him back. He used to have beautiful brown eyes but now the last eye ball is dark.

He is also 16 years old. He will actually be 16 years and two thirds of a year old on Friday. So 16 years and 8 months old.

So sad.. My collie went blind and it took her a while to learn her way round...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

One of my other dog's is getting a lumpectomy next week, hoping it's nothing serious. :(

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

VonVix wrote: »
    One of my other dog's is getting a lumpectomy next week, hoping it's nothing serious. :(

Will have everything crossed for you.

• Advertisement

I could not eat much of my meal yesterday so I (stooopidly!) left it in the kitchen.

Later? The scrambled eggs and the baked potato skin had vanished.. but the sprouts remained in all their green glory!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

So I'm just back from the vet with my last remaining cat. I lost her mother to kidney disease in January and her sister to cancer in October. Now its looking like Snowy also has cancer.

I'm just gutted. **** this horrible year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah Sunbeam sorry to hear about your cats :( Lucy will be gone a year on the 26th :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Thanks tk123. Its always so hard when this happens, but especially at Christmas.

I took her in with suspected dental issues. The vet found a lump between her shoulder blades. Suspected fibrosarcoma or liposarcoma. I cannot feel it at all. They want to avoid anesthesia due to her age so we are watching and waiting. They are great vets and I trust them to do the best for her.

I was actually so pleased going in with her as she had had a black spot on her nose for a year that was suspected skin cancer, but that had completely vanished since June. :-(

She has actually put on weight rather than losing it, which I'm hoping might be a good sign.

Ah fingers crossed for her. So worrying though :( I'm like that with Bailey now - the slightest thing and I freak out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

11 days down, 8 to go. I think I’ve seen more dogs this month than I have in the last year with one thing and another!
    I was really unlucky, I was off work from after Christmas 2019 to the start of March 2020 due to heath reasons then recovering from surgery. I had just been back 2 weeks when covid hit and I had to close again. I am so physically exhausted from being back to work but it’s made my mental health go from 5% to 95% just being back, being around dogs and doing what I love. In saying that, I can’t wait to be off after Christmas :pac:

I have taken on a rescue/foster Crested Gecko who is completely untamed. Roughly 4-5 years old, smaller than he should be. Somehow still has his tail. He has gone completely into hiding since I have taken him home so far. Wish me luck. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭apache

VonVix wrote: »
    I have taken on a rescue/foster Crested Gecko who is completely untamed. Roughly 4-5 years old, smaller than he should be. Somehow still has his tail. He has gone completely into hiding since I have taken him home so far. Wish me luck. :o
    I've learned that patience is key. Best of luck....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

How tame-able would geckos be, at that sort of age?
    And, what age do the Cresties generally live until?
    I know nothing of the day-to-day lives of reptiles, but very interested in them all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just a quick post to say we got Ella's ashes back today. It's our first time choosing cremation, our previous 3 dogs were buried, and we're very happy with the service provided. Incase anyone is on the fence about the decision when the time comes, this is what we received...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

jellybear wrote: »
    Just a quick post to say we got Ella's ashes back today. It's our first time choosing cremation, our previous 3 dogs were buried, and we're very happy with the service provided. Incase anyone is on the fence about the decision when the time comes, this is what we received...

Pawprints in Trim are absolutely wonderful to deal with. They will move mountains to accommodate you, and are incredibly understanding, supportive, and gentle.
    I have brought 2 of my own, and my brother's dog's remains to them myself, and they've had the ashes ready for collection the following day for me.
    Highly, highly recommend them.
    I hope that having Ella back home with you now brings you some comfort Jellybear :(

DBB wrote: »
    How tame-able would geckos be, at that sort of age?
    And, what age do the Cresties generally live until?
    I know nothing of the day-to-day lives of reptiles, but very interested in them all the same!

The key is making sure my hands are warm for sure! Totally tameable, it’s a matter of him learning I’m a warm touchy feely tree lol!

He is doing amazingly well, a little freaked out at first but is starting to settle faster when handled. Cresties can live to roughly 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

It's been just over a month now since Pangur left us. I'm feeling extra conflicted about whether to get a new cat or not. I desperately miss her on my lap every evening and would love to have a new lapcat. We do have another cat in the house to love but she's not a lap cat at all.
    What's giving me pause is the new procedures in place in the adoption centre because of Covid. There's no more walking around the centre to meet the cats and choose one yourself. You just go by the pictures on the site and the staff will decide if you're a match or not. So you don't get to meet the cat at all before they arrive in your house. I just feel like the chance is much higher that the cat won't fit into the household. So I'm afraid of getting a new cat and having my heart broken again by having to bring them back if they don't settle or my resident cat hates them.
    Has anyone been through this new process?

He is doing super well at being handled now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Finished up work today, 108 grooms since December 1st :o I have loved this run up to Christmas. Normally it’s manic, squeezing dogs in anywhere I can but because of social distancing I can’t have too many in at once, and I already had a list kept for appointments because of the last lockdown so I was way more organised than usual.
    This year more than ever it’s really hit me that I run my own business, I get to be surrounded by dogs the majority of the time, and even when I know I have dogs that I might have disagreements with coming to me; there’s still not a single day that I don’t want to go into work. I may never be able to groom to competition or show standards, but I’ve helped so many pets be happy, comfortable and pretty and that fills me with so much joy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I’m trying very hard not to open all my presents. They are piled up on the shelf above the tv. I may have to open them all at midnight.

This time last year I was playing with Lucy! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    It's been just over a month now since Pangur left us. I'm feeling extra conflicted about whether to get a new cat or not. I desperately miss her on my lap every evening and would love to have a new lapcat. We do have another cat in the house to love but she's not a lap cat at all.
    What's giving me pause is the new procedures in place in the adoption centre because of Covid. There's no more walking around the centre to meet the cats and choose one yourself. You just go by the pictures on the site and the staff will decide if you're a match or not. So you don't get to meet the cat at all before they arrive in your house. I just feel like the chance is much higher that the cat won't fit into the household. So I'm afraid of getting a new cat and having my heart broken again by having to bring them back if they don't settle or my resident cat hates them.
    Has anyone been through this new process?
    I'm in the same position. Our Buffy crossed the rainbow bridge a year ago, and we deliberately waited a few months before considering getting a new cat, not knowing what was on the horizon. We've always let our cats choose us, rather than the other way round, so meeting them in person first is essential to me.

I’m trying very hard not to open all my presents. They are piled up on the shelf above the tv. I may have to open them all at midnight.

It's well for some. I have no presents but I'm an adult and just buy things when I want them. :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It's well for some. I have no presents but I'm an adult and just buy things when I want them. :cool:

Lol, so do I and usually I just get socks and things from my nieces and nephews, but this year I was given a few gifts by close friends, one is book shaped and another two are suspiciously box of biscuits shaped lol.

I had a lovely and unexpected gift of a big food hamper all done up with cellophane and bows, from the group of local organisations who care for the islands and especially old folk. with eg meals on wheels. ( I now get a meal one day a week when they send them over to the island)

It was a wonderful thought from them. The sense of community is good out here.

Luxuries and staples. Including a BIG box of Milk Tray..

And so many kind gifts from folk here.

Oh and a large tub. of Heroes from the supermarket manager! I have never had that happen before

I am truly blessed and thankful.

Elderly, senile dogs. Never give a senile dog food with your fingers. He bit me a few times over the past year but this was something else. I was sitting on a chair and the dog was behind me and he bit my finger and I shouted but he bit even harder. It's pretty sore and numb at the same time. Mad looking back over the years and I could put my fingers in his mouth and would never bite hard just lightly while playing.

It's my own fault really as he is senile and doesn't know what he is doing. He is 16 years and three quarters of a year old(so 16 years and nine months old) on the 4th of January. He made it into 2021 so his 17th year but he will never make it to his 17th birthday unfortunately, but still hanging in there.

Was roused at midnight NYE by a catfight.. as every night just now. Stinkertom attacking Tonto... Happy New Year , cats!

jellybear wrote: »

I got my dog's ashes back about two weeks ago, I opted for the scatter tube.

I had my old cat cremated when she died 3 years ago. My daughter found having her ashes to scatter helped her deal with the loss of her pet and the scattering of the cat's ashes in her favourite sunny spot in the garden a great consolation. I'll scatter my dog's ashes in our garden too, when the weather improves.

Cremation isn't the cheapest option, but I do think its worthwhile for the comfort it brings.

• Advertisement

I wanted to scatter some of Lucy's ashes but got a little bundle in a frame instead - like it all happened so quick on the day.. the vet had said you could open the frame and the ashes would be there to take out if I wanted to scatter some.. but I didn't feel right opening up that carefully wrapped bundle.. so she's here with us in her place downstairs. I did get my beads Christmas week and was delighted with them - you can see the stands of fur inside them.
    :o
    538285.png

Advertisement