Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Pic of the door please.
    And what price per cube is sapele now?

thanks.

That’s a fine result Mick!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭bamayang

Lovely work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

kadman wrote: »
    Pic of the door please.
    And what price per cube is sapele now?

thanks.

I'm not sure how much a cube it is. I just went in with my cut list and went through the bale of Sapele, measured out what I wanted. Had to cut the boards to get them in the car!

In all I got

4 1/2" x 2" by 15' (1 off)
    5" x 2" by 15' (2 off)
    7 1/2" x 2 by 15' (1 off)

Qty 4.583 ft3 (price €37.25) Total €210 Inc vat.

I actually had a little too much, have some left over which I can use for other projects. I'd estimate the raw cost of timber for the door about €150/60 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much a cube it is. I just went in with my cut list and went through the bale of Sapele, measured out what I wanted. Had to cut the boards to get them in the car!

In all I got

4 1/2" x 2" by 15' (1 off)
    5" x 2" by 15' (2 off)
    7 1/2" x 2 by 15' (1 off)

Qty 4.583 ft3 (price €37.25) Total €210 Inc vat.

I actually had a little too much, have some left over which I can use for other projects. I'd estimate the raw cost of timber for the door about €150/60 maybe.

Hi,
    There's 35.31 cubic feet in a cubic meter, so that's €1315.30 per m³.

tim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

bamayang wrote: »
    Any idea what timber this is lads? Wife is looking for similar made.

Poplar, Eucalyptus or spalted Holly possibly, looks almost like marble, having worked with a lot of Olive Ash I would say it's not Ash.
    Carpentry store was open during level 5 Lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

My compliments Mick on a job well done. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

Amazing work, where did you buy the wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Mostly doing xmas trinkets at the moment.

2020-12-14-22.29.42a.jpg

2020-12-14-20.40.23a.jpg

2020-12-06-11.18.16a-scaled.jpg

2020-12-02-14.13.09a-1.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i like to think this looks like a tie fighter.

536676.jpg

the epoxy was to fill a vein of rot which had run up through the tree (a small cherry). i don't particularly like working with epoxy, i like to be able to dump the shavings all around the garden knowing it's all biodegradable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Hand crafted cherry steering wheel.

Very flash :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Suckler

536676.jpg

the epoxy was to fill a vein of rot which had run up through the tree (a small cherry). i don't particularly like working with epoxy, i like to be able to dump the shavings all around the garden knowing it's all biodegradable.

Really interesting piece. What lathe are you using?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's a jet; 1221vs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Made a light fitting out of some copper sheeting, oak and a LED kit:

Xpy3YjMl.jpg

EBHaFlml.jpg

Pha9eJ5l.jpg

f8gSCWrl.jpg

Cut the depth of the copper off the sides of the oak (96 x 44 x 1000mm) using the table saw:

UmqdR43l.jpg

Routed for the flush mount LED strip profile-connected both in series, 50/60W driver mounted in the ceiling:

hXKC37Sl.jpg

g7x6ObFl.jpg

Filed down & rounded any rough edges, sanded with RO sander to 320 grit. Got the hanging wires from amazon, they were plastic coated so I could super glue the 12V cable to them, avoid having to use tie-wraps.

2dkshHdl.jpg

that's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

thats lovely. where did you get the lights

is it heavy?

just finished turning this. was from a rough blank i was given by a chap who was converting his workshop, i have no idea what the wood is. not a softwood, but certainly not very hard, i'm guessing some sort of maple or similar.

537134.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

thats lovely. where did you get the lights

Thanks, I got the LED strip (5M), 2.4M profile, 12V driver and connectors from Hafele for about €60-70 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

is it heavy?

just finished turning this. was from a rough blank i was given by a chap who was converting his workshop, i have no idea what the wood is. not a softwood, but certainly not very hard, i'm guessing some sort of maple or similar.

537134.jpg

Looks like Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Amazing work, where did you buy the wood?

Sorry only seeing this now, is that question for me? If so, I got all the wood in Brooks in Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Siobhan82

is it heavy?

537134.jpg

Lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I'm thinking Monkey Puzzle tree. ( Chilean Pine ) Ciaran Forbes, the monk /turner in Glenstal Abbey used to make huge bowls from it.

Decided to try a live edge bowl for the first time. Probably could have picked an easier piece of wood to work with for first go.
    Wasn’t sure the plan of the design until I was half way through. Thought the tea light holder might be a good look for it.
    Very hard stuff to turn.

AQbijbL.jpg

wpCtz6Q.jpg

ihvffS6.jpg

ijD4bSF.jpg

MaI08so.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

bamayang wrote: »
    Decided to try a live edge bowl for the first time. Probably could have picked an easier piece of wood to work with for first go.
    Wasn’t sure the plan of the design until I was half way through. Thought the tea light holder might be a good look for it.
    Very hard stuff to turn.

Is that your piece of bog oak?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Joe Chang

Scrolling this thread.
    Anyway.. Happy new year :)

Is that your piece of bog oak?

Ya, Uncle gave me 3 logs about 12” x 24”. That’s first time doing anything with it. It’s very hard stuff.

i've seen a demo of it being turned wet - though i think it was not allowed dry out at any point from being removed from the bog for that.

i've seen a demo of it being turned wet - though i think it was not allowed dry out at any point from being removed from the bog for that.

I’d say these are out of the bog a good few years now, fairly bone dry.
    Made a mortar and pestle out of another bit today. Came out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

this is beautiful well done, as soon as i can, im going to try the wood turning course in my local school

• Advertisement

this is beautiful well done, as soon as i can, im going to try the wood turning course in my local school

That’s how I started out about 6 years ago. It’s a good way of trying without any major commitment cost wise.

Advertisement