Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Renewal for my xvs400 this week with liberty. €235.40 exactly the same as last year. Bit of a pain too as Liberty no longer seem to post anything as it's all done online these days. Still have the learner permit as no sign of the test been arranged insofar this year.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Insurance renewal received from Carole Nash today.
    NCB: 6
    License: full for 1 year
    Bike : 2002 gsx 1400
    €480 third party only.

Off the phone with liberty
    €281 third party only
    200€ in the difference!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

Is it my imagination or has motorbike insurance never been so cheap? When I started on bikes, insurance cost was massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 alanman

newmember? wrote: »
    Is it my imagination or has motorbike insurance never been so cheap? When I started on bikes, insurance cost was massive.

Hah wish I could say the same as I am Struggling to get a good quote

29 yo
    CBR500
    2 year Irish provisional (still waiting for the test)

completed 1 year with Principle at 2.3k (3rd + F +T)

Now for renewal

Liberty wont quote as they say need min 3 years license.
    Carole around 2.1k for 3rd Part + F + T
    AXA 2.4k
    Principle (renewal) 1.7k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭bladespin

CBR900 (many mods) FC, 46 full licence, full NCB, legal, helmet & leathers, personal injury etc €376 with CN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

galwaytt wrote: »
    Yep. I was quite emotional afterwards really. Just brought me back to me starting on bikes, and the part it plays in my life now. And with so few young people doing it, so no peers to share the interest with, I'm so glad he's persevered.

In fact, I ran out and created his motorcycle life so far see attached !!

I'm a sap. But a very proud sap.

A shout out to Rob McGrath at West Coast Motorcycle Training in Galway for all the help.

Not quite a year on since, but my young lad has now moved on things a notch: Got is A2 LP, did A2 IBT, and.....got insurance sorted on his A2 bike today:

Here is the Jammy Git heading off for his LC Maths Paper 1 today.

Seems like only t'other day he got is A1 LP..... dang, how time flies...

555614.png

I wonder will he hang out with us 'Old People' now, eh ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

galwaytt wrote: »
    Got is A2 LP, did A2 IBT, and.....got insurance sorted on his A2 bike today:

Seems like only t'other day he got is A1 LP..... dang, how time flies...

I wonder will he hang out with us 'Old People' now, eh ??

Christ, all those numbers :) I just bought a provisional and jumped on a bike and then straight out into the road hoping for the best :D:D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Renewed with Principal last week. TPFT on a Suzuki SFV650 for €216.

I'm older though, full license, and some NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭horse7

What difference does it make if you said your milage is under 2000km, but it goes over?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

horse7 wrote: »
    What difference does it make if you said your milage is under 2000km, but it goes over?

Nothing if you inform the insurer.

Assuming you get cover cheaper for limited mileage going over that might give rise to an issue on the event of a claim.

The concept of materiality is in play though so it would need to be pretty blatant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Got a renewal from carole nash: €560

Principal offered €541

Nash then offered €475

Principal could only go to €491

No brainer - always ring around + never tell them what the other offer is, just that it is better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mattnaughton

Does anyone know if your bike is a classic and not being used for daily commute will the insurance be cheaper? If so, what insurance companies take this into account?

I’m on a provisional with 0 NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dylx1

25 yo

ninja 250

Full A

NCB: 5 years

Axa Grade 2 skills assessment

Fully comp + NCB protection:

Liberty renewal: 480

CN: 695

AXA: 530

Principle: 450 (dropped to beat liberty)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Got my renewal quote from Carole Nash this morning.

No claims over 20 years

Full A Licence

Honda ST1100 Pan European

Last year's quote was €398

This year's quote is €368 so a reasonable drop of €30.

That is for fully comp including some extras that I added for peace of mind. If I remove the extras it would be under the €300 mark.

According to the renewal letter, if I want to reduce my cover from Comp to 3rd Party, Fire & Theft, I can have the insurance for €147 (excluding fees, charges and blah, blah, blah)! With fees and taxes, I worked out it would be around the €230 mark but I don't know if there is any "minimum premium" nonsense with Carole Nash.

Still happy with the quote though as it is coming in a good bit cheaper than Liberty and AXA.

Wow, how about that? It has been a year since I last posted in here.

So, my renewal quote came in a couple of weeks ago. All the same details as post #285 above (except I am a year older).

Last year's renewal was €368, and this year's is €338, which is another €30 drop again.

I checked some of the other companies and they were all in the €400 range so I will be renewing with Carole Nash again.

Got my renewal email last week from Liberty. €235 euro again this year. 3rd party for a Yamaha dragster. I only did 350km on it this year! might change over to C Nash as I am thinking of getting another bike and Liberty do not do multi-bike policies.

Dan.

adding to the above post, Liberty insurance no longer includes riding other bikes on their policies. This is very important as if you take someone's bike for a test ride or borrow one from a mate you will not be covered. I found out about this much to my own shock as I received no notice from Liberty until I made inquiries.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Got my renewal from CN,

5 years NCB

04 Honda VFR Vtec

Fully Comp €315, down from €345 last year IIRC

Max NCB

RoSPA

'21 GW, '05 H-D, '02 AA500

Renewed with Axa for the 2nd year for €320 Full Comp. Happy enough with that.

C-N despite being with them for many, many years wouldn't quote at all originally, saying the GW was too high in value, eventually got a quote but it wasn't at the races at all. Principle wanted 900+ which was fantasy stuff.

Insurance company's policy of not wanting to retain existing customers remains an enigma to me....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dylx1

7 years NCB

Axa Grade 2 skills assessment

14 z1000sx

Fully comp + pillion + NCBP:

• Liberty renewal 870
    • Principal 609 (Cya later Liberty)
    • CN no quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 petergsxr

Hi All . I have a huge problem to find insurance company for myself. No one wants to give me even quotation.

*Learner permit

*40 yo

*IBT training done

Last year I bought a Suzuki GSX-R 750 . Was working very hard for last 10 months to restore bike to mint condition and now no one want to insure that bike . Everyone says that they won't give me even quotation as I don't have NCB . Basically I need insurance just for a short trips, maybe one a month not for every day community. I tried liberty , AXA , principal and carol Nash . Please help as I'm devastated. Can't afford to buy another motorbike as I already speak little fortune for this one . Any ideas what I can do ??

1 . It's not like that if you get 3 declined decisions than 4th company has to give you a quotation??

2. I heard also that ppl buying policies abroad to avoid that problem . Is that true ??

3.Motorbike it's 24 years old now and someone suggested me to find a classic motorbike insurance but the same , isn't find anyone to give me a quote.

Please help 🙏

The pendulum swings around again for the bike insurance this year 🙂

All the same details as before in post #285 but another year older again. 2022s renewal was €338, this year's is €304. At that price, I am not even going to go looking at anyone else and just renew it with Carole Nash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

30 year old

Full licence 4 years

8 years NCB

2002 GSX1400

Third party fire and theft. Pillion cover

€203 principal insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Well it’s a GSXR 750 , no matter the year.

you need to get something that doesn’t have an R in the name for a year or 2 , or until you get a full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Bigsliothar

Hi all,

I’ve tried to get a few online quotes for a Harley road king this morning to no avail

learner permit , ibt done, no ncb, 50+

I’ll ring around Monday to check again

does anyone know if like the previous poster the insurance companies won’t quote on such a big bike without experience on a smaller machine??

is it possible to insure outside of state??

other options available??

thx in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You'll need to phone them, online will just decline you in a situation like that, but value and risk rating of the bike is probably going to be an issue anyway with no experience and no NCB.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Bigsliothar

Rang them during the week and was expecting the no no but the guy gave me a quote for €450 third party fire and theft so happy enough with that

shush will ya :)

Coincidentally, was clearing out old paperwork at home recently, going back 30+ years. My first bike (a 200cc Suzuki SB200) cost me £400 in 1986 and my insuance then was £436 with Norwich Union. At the time I was earning £111.19 a week.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

£1000 in 1995 on a Suzuki GP100. I was earning about £130 a week at the time! Bike cost me £500.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭easyvision

Wrong forum

Advertisement