Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's Who.

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

My name is Ian. Carpenter joiner 10 years now. Father was a builder so grew up on site's busy at the moment so all is good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,995 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i just started into what might become an expensive habit. just tried making my first dovetail joint out of some wood lifted from an old palette; as a result, the next thing on the shopping list is a decent clamp (and after that, a decent workbench). wood is not so easy to work when it's moving. and i suspect is somewhat more risky to your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Hi everyone. I'm a hobby woodworker and I like to dabble in a variety of things. I've just started making my own hand tools having just completed a mallet. I'm busy making a rebate/shoulder plane and l also made a marking gauge. On my to do list are some pipe clamps, a wagon vise and, ultimately, a new workbench, perhaps Roubo style with a tool tray but with the deep front apron and front vise instead of a leg vise. The plan is for the wagon vise to fit my new bench as well.

I also like to restore vintage tools having recently completed a Bailey pattern plane, a hand brace and a number of chisels.

I own a good selection of power tools (table saw, planer/thicknesser, mitre/chop saw, routers, etc.) but, because my workshop is in the attic of an apartment block, they are too antisocial, that's why I'm going the hand tool route. I'm finding it very satisfying though, especially since I've dusted off and restored a number of hand tools that I inherited from my father. I feel a real connection when I use the same tools he did, and I now treasure them for the memories and emotions they evoke.

I've even managed to keep the wife happy by making shoe racks and shelves and fitting wardrobes in the new apartment we moved into in March, having downsized from a 3 bed house now that our nest is empty. Needless to say, she has a list of jobs lined up for me as well, but I enjoy doing them, so no complaints, it's just finding the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭imakebiodiesel

Hi, wood work has been my passion for 40 years although Ive made my living in several other ways.
    I love wood turning and do all my spindle turning on a pole lathe I built 25 years ago. I have an electric lathe as well but I use it only for larger work and faceplate work.
    I make country furniture, dressers,settle chairs tables etc. I also taught myself the craft of the white cooper a few years ago and make piggins, noggins buckets and churns. Its a fascinating craft but has no commercial potential except occassional jobs for museums etc, I did the coopering for the Dunbrody sailing ship at New Ross.
    Although I have a good selection of woodworking machinery I prefer hand tools and since Im doing it for my own pleasure I like to take my time. As some one once said... " machine tools may be the muscle of the modern workshop but hand tools are its heart and soul."

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

Signing in.

Newbie. Moving home which has a large attached garage and I want to set up a little woodwork shop to do hobbies/possibly sell things when done. I got my first table saw today and they have kindly agreed to keep it until I move home.

I love the Samurai Carpenter on youtube and will be making his workbench when I have the confidence after a number of smaller projects to practice. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Hi all, just checking in. Have been tinkering with wood for years, with no formal training, but enjoy making bits and pieces and learning from mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Carpenting is a lovely thing. I am not a professional but when it comes to transform the look of a wooden furniture, I always offer my services to my family. Yes, it was not easy in the beginning but thankful to YouTube toturials and woodcrafting communities. They helped a lot. I still need to learn several things.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BackInTown

Have been following threads here for a while and posted a couple of times, but never introduced myself. Moved home to Dublin after a long time abroad, and finally have a shed, even if it is small and full of kids bikes. Long time DIY enthusiast trying to make a bit of furniture. Love the variety, beauty and practicality possible in woodwork.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,995 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what part of dublin? if you're interested in woodturning, there are three chapters who meet monthly (usually!) based in santry, dublin 15, and out terenure direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BackInTown

what part of dublin? if you're interested in woodturning, there are three chapters who meet monthly (usually!) based in santry, dublin 15, and out terenure direction.
    Thanks @magicbastarder - I'm in Dublin 15 - and just before all this covid stuff started I had looked at the guild website (after reading information here) and noticed the D15 chapter. When meetings get back up and running again I'll be sure to get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

Hi all,
    Amateur hobbyist here. When I moved to rural wicklow 4 years the house came with a medium sized concrete out house, which was plumbed and electric wired (previous owners had it as a salon). So i've turned it into a workshop, i have never done woodwork in my life, so learning as I go.

Have filled it with an assortment of power tools (mitre saws, bench drills, dremel, circ saws) make a few small bits and bobs. I think the biggest Ive done is the picnic bench for the garden.

So looking to experiment with different woods and techniques and get advise from the more experienced chaps here.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I've been woodworking to various degrees since I was a child. Both of my grandfathers were professional craftsmen and while my Dad was a civil servant for his career, woodwork was his primary hobby, making everything from furniture to clinker built boats so that's the environment I was immersed in. After school I took a major hiatus from woodworking for the guts of 20 years as I lived in apartments with no workshop options and did nothing more than trivial DIY so creativity turned to music and hi-tech stuff for those years.

When my wife and I also moved to rural(ish!) Wicklow a few years back, I was finally able to put together a workshop and start making things again. It has amazed me how I've been reset to absolute zero on some skills; e.g. I just couldn't saw a straight line for about a year and I'm still struggling with accuracy in basic joinery but have somehow I've retained others; apparently I can still woodturn pretty well!

My goal is to improve the quality of what I'm producing to make some nice furniture for our house and extended family etc.

Oh, and I quickly found out that I still hate sanding - no change there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

I didn't post in here initially, as I've been on boards since 2004.

I'm a PE and English teacher. I've always liked working with my hands, and I like trying new things and acquiring new skills. Woodwork is one of a variety of hobbies I have, which means I'm less good than I could be (or just plain poor :D)

On the plus side, working in a school gives me access to both the woodwork and metalwork rooms, so that I can be bad at two of my hobbies

BackInTown wrote: »
    Thanks @magicbastarder - I'm in Dublin 15 - and just before all this covid stuff started I had looked at the guild website (after reading information here) and noticed the D15 chapter. When meetings get back up and running again I'll be sure to get involved.
    there's also evening classes in D15 - in hartstown - starting september and january. when i did it, it was €125 for ten 2 hour classes, well worth the money. also did a basic woodworking course there.

or if you can't wait till september (and based on when these restrictions lift) joe laird will do one on one or small classes out of his place, i'd recommend him. a day with him would easily cost more than the 10 evening classes, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

I'we been on this forum for quite some time but never introduced myself.

I am a Draughtsman / CAD designer & IT manager by profession and I am hobby (Is it still considered hobby if you do it every day for 2-3h at least? :D ) woodworker based in Limerick.

I liked working with wood since I was a child but only in the last few years I managed to afford some tools and machines to my self.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KMCE

New to the forum, but working for some time with wood.

An engineer by profession and currently work in the energy and sustainability sphere, but have always had a keen interest in woodworking.

Have made many projects over the years both for my own house, and private commissions, so kinda do this semi professionally. Alas, I am aware that the craft of woodworking or cabinetry is considerably undervalued so I must continue with the engineering to make ends meet.

I have huge respect for those who practice the craft professionally and put themselves out there at the whims of clients.

All for now, hopefully I can show some of what I have done, and am doing in future posts.

Regards,

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Hi All,

Hobby woodworker here all, woodturning and making wood and resin bits.

I started carving spoons a few years ago as a mindfulness practice to deal with stress. I made some stuff for my sister's wedding that I got a lot of good feedback on so I started getting more interested and pushing myself a bit more.

Now I have a shed full of gear, a long wishlist, no money and no space 😁

Cheers,

Ken

Advertisement