Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Married Tax credits

Options
  • 24-02-2021 5:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44

Me. Spouse
    Personal Tax Cr 3,300.00
    Employee Tax Cr 1,650.00 1,650.00

Hi, me and my spouse are married but we are not joint assessed. On reviewing the P21 there is 3,300 in my section. Is that wrong.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Me. Spouse
    Personal Tax Cr 3,300.00
    Employee Tax Cr 1,650.00 1,650.00

Hi, me and my spouse are married but we are not joint assessed. On reviewing the P21 there is 3,300 in my section. Is that wrong.

Regards

You should have a combined standard credit amount of 3300 for a single person. That is 1650 personal credit and 1650 employee tax credit. Did you inform Revenue you were married? If you did, what option did you select, joint assessment, separate assessment or separate treatment? Was your spouse working during the tax year you received the P21/statement of liability for and did she earn enough to use up her credits. What does your tax credit cert for 2021 show?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Alaninwondeand

Hi we selected separate assesment. They know we are married as I fill in the forms online. My wife was out of work for 6 month's in that year but has since returned. She earned 15k.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Hi we selected separate assesment. They know we are married as I fill in the forms online. My wife was out of work for 6 month's in that year but has since returned. She earned 15k.

Regards

If you are separately assessed then only a small portion of her unused personal tax credit and up to 9000 of her rate band should have transferred to you after the tax year send when you both filed your respective returns. Separate assessment is pretty much the same as joint assessment without the in year benefits of moving unused rate band/credits from one spouse to the other.

No harm to check with Revenue that they do in fact have you down as separately assessed for the year in question.

Advertisement