Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Capital Gains Tax Incorrect

Options
  • 08-01-2021 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I submitted a CG1 form for 2020 in order to submit a losses made on transactions during the year and to carry this forward into future years.

I entered my total transaction amounts in Section 1 (a) and (b) of the CG1 form.

I entered the total loss for the year in Section 8.

Revenue have calculated this as the amounts in Section 1 as the total gains I made in the year, and Section 8 as an amount I am carrying forward from a previous year and now asking that I pay tax on this.

I have wrote to them today in order to fix this and explain the situation.

Just wondering if this is an easy fix or if anyone has encountered a similar issue previously?

In summary - no profit made last year, yet revenue are asking me to pay CGT.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

All that's happened is that the person who processed your form made a mistake when inputting it. It's very annoying but stuff like this happens all the time, it is a very easy fix so I wouldn't worry about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭langer91

wiggle16 wrote: »
    All that's happened is that the person who processed your form made a mistake when inputting it. It's very annoying but stuff like this happens all the time, it is a very easy fix so I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Thank you for the re-assurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ashdss

Hi,
    I have a question.
    Has anyone gone to Germany or Portugal to cash their Bitcoin?
    (Ive heard they have no capital gains on crypto)
    In Ireland the 33% capital gains is a lot if Bitcoin goes to 100 or 200 K

I would like to know what other peoples plans are?
    Or if its something you have already done..

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

You'd have to go there to live, for quite a long time. I assume you're an Irish person intending to live here for the foreseeable. Unless you're willing to give up your home in Ireland, forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ashdss wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a question.
    Has anyone gone to Germany or Portugal to cash their Bitcoin?
    (Ive heard they have no capital gains on crypto)
    In Ireland the 33% capital gains is a lot if Bitcoin goes to 100 or 200 K

I would like to know what other peoples plans are?
    Or if its something you have already done..

That could change with an afternoon in a German or Portuguese parliament session

Separately, why would they explicitly set aside crypto gains for CGT? You sure of that

• Advertisement
Advertisement