Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which president for president??

• 04-04-2020 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭

OK so which character president from tv/film do you think would be the best president to deal with the current situation in America?

Just watching Bill Pullman in Independence Day and I think he would do a mighty job.

Although my first choice would be Harrison Ford from Air Force One. (would always be my first choice for anything :-))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Bill Pullman from Independence Day was my 1st thought to. I reckon he could do a speech that would motivate me to quarantine for years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Odd one Rock Hudson in The Third World War, miniseries from the 80s or Kevin James in Pixels:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You'd imagine it has to be Jed Bartlett for the inspiration angle, if we're counting TV. The quintessential statesman.

Cinema? Morgan Freeman from Deep Impact is a good start. Harrison Ford for action president but a level head is what you'd want here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

For TV I'd go for David Palmer from 24. He has experience dealing with viruses ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

President Bartlett all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Troy McClure (assuming TV is allowed). If he can lead a country whilst his neck is missing, he could easily deal with a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

Couldn’t be any worse than Trumplethinskin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

endacl wrote: »
    President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

Couldn’t be any worse than Trumplethinskin.
    I am struggling to think of a worse fictional president than Trump. Maybe the woman in Seveneves, or:
    s2e3-1nixonbody.jpg?w=660

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Not Frank Underwood anyway :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

President Snow?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Gene Hackman in Absolute Power. :pac:

Closer to reality some might say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭xper

Jack Nicholson in Mars Attacks! with Pierce Brosnan as chief scientific advisor.

That went well, didn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

President Bartlett all day

Agreed, let Bartlet be Bartlet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Harrison Ford in Air Force One

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

President Merkin Muffley from Dr Strangelove.

mikhail wrote: »
    I am struggling to think of a worse fictional president than Trump. Maybe the woman in Seveneves, or:
    s2e3-1nixonbody.jpg?w=660

Isn't there something where Charles Lindburgh is elected president?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭xper

Not sure if this what you’re thinking of but Lindbergh is US Ambassador to a victorious 1960s Nazi Germany in Robert Harris’s Fatherland. Joe Kennedy is the US president seeking to reach a detente with 75 year old Hitler in the midst of a US-German Cold War. trump would be all over that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

silverharp wrote: »
    Not Frank Underwood anyway :D

I don't know about that, he was fairly likable early on:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The Plot Against America. Haven't seen it yet, but it's on the watchlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,434 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

How about the lad from Armageddon? Rousing stuff!

Though really, I'm in the Bartlett camp, followed by President James Dale in Mars Attacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

Give you Bruce Greenwood as JFK in Thirteen Days or else Fredric March as President Lyman in Seven Days In May.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭brevity

Dave played by Kevin Kline

Thrown in at the deep end and did a fine job. Saved his (well not his but...you know) marriage too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I might throw out a slightly cheating left field suggestion: President Laura Roslin. Knows how to deal with an existential crisis, while making tough decisions, sometimes going against the grain for the common good. Juggled the balance between civil rights & the seductiono f authoritarianism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Even Josh Brolin in W would be an improvement right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭talla10

Unearthly wrote: »
    Bill Pullman from Independence Day was my 1st thought to. I reckon he could do a speech that would motivate me to quarantine for years

We will go quietly into the house.
    We will banish our way of life without a fight.
    Today we celebrate our 1,000 quarantine day!

Advertisement