Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coral Players Championship

Options
  • 24-02-2020 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

The Coral Players Championship kicks off this evening with all the action live on ITV4

Here’s the draw and match times

(1) Judd Trump vs Michael Holt (16) – Tuesday February 25 at 7pm

(8) John Higgins vs Graeme Dott (9) – Tuesday February 25 at 1pm

(5) Ding Junhui vs Stephen Maguire (12) – Monday February 24 at 7pm

(4) Mark Selby vs Mark Williams (13) – Monday February 24 at 7pm

(3) Neil Robertson vs Joe Perry (14) – Tuesday February 25 at 1pm

(6) Yan Bingtao vs Kyren Wilson (11) – Tuesday February 25 at 7pm

(7) Mark Allen vs Thepchaiya Un-Nooh (10) – Wednesday February 26 at 1pm

(2) Shaun Murphy vs David Gilbert (15) – Wednesday February 26 at 1pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Poor performance last night by Williams, whitewashed 6-0 by Selby.

Maguire through after beating Ding 6-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

So much snooker on these days it's hard to keep up with it. I dont bother with world rankings and who doesn't qualify for this or that. When it's on i'll watch whatever tournament is on and same with the one after. The rankings never interested me.

Ronnie is not in this one despite being defending champion, which seems odd. I thought the defending champion and the world champion got into every tournament regardless of rankings, but this one must be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think that only applies to the masters. Defending champ and world champ are always top two seeds there. This ones based on season performances so everybody has to play their way in.

Robertson been absolutely brutal today, not dead yet but asking a lot to reel off another 4 frames way he's cueing.

Gathering a head of steam now robbo...not quite done with yet i think.

• Advertisement

Really looking forward to Sheffield this year. So many players who i feel could win it. Robbo playing great stuff this year. Murphy, Selby, Trump, Wilson, Ding, Trump all on decent form. The likes of Allen, Higgins and Ronnie can win any match. Few other players i cant think of but is this year the most open World Championship ever?

If trump repeats form of last year, he'll be hard to beat. But will he? Easy to forget he was within a shot of exiting in first round. It looks open enough alright, who do i trust enough to navigate the 15 day marathon and hold their nerve when it comes to crunch? Not sure yet. But think day i could trust ronnie to get it together for one big final push is passed. Really struggle to ever see it happening.

If trump repeats form of last year, he'll be hard to beat. But will he? Easy to forget he was within a shot of exiting in first round. It looks open enough alright, who do i trust enough to navigate the 15 day marathon and hold their nerve when it comes to crunch? Not sure yet. But think day i could trust ronnie to get it together for one big final push is passed. Really struggle to ever see it happening.

Yes unfortunately i haven't fancied Ronnie to win there in a few years. And even so now. Might win a few matches but Sheffield kills him and i'd barely have him in top 10 although no doubt bookies will have top 3.

Yes unfortunately i haven't fancied Ronnie to win there in a few years. And even so now. Might win a few matches but Sheffield kills him and i'd barely have him in top 10 although no doubt bookies will have top 3.

Sure its first year i can remember that he isnt actually bookies favourite (not sure about 2013), but he's up there anyway. Plenty will still be keen to bet him just because he's ROS and bookies will be only too delighted to line their satchels.

Gentleman gets it done eventually. Good finish but shocking miss on the blue by robertson, would surely have won if he'd got it to a decider.

• Advertisement

Welcome Holty to elite, top class snooker. First frame Trump rams home a dazzling 130. Could be a short night.

Scintilating 64 sees Trump go 2-0 ahead. No player as good as Trump when in full flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That was some final black off it's spot to the center pocket by Holt. Don't think I've ever seen anyone slam one in that like at that blistering pace before. Didn't think it was possible.

Gutsy clearance from Holt to keep it alive.

Shockingly poor safety from Holt virtually hands the match to Trump to take it 6 - 3.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Shockingly poor safety from Holt virtually hands the match to Trump to take it 6 - 3.

Terrible safety shot. He should have taken on the red.

Terrible safety shot. He should have taken on the red.

Absolutely. He was on a bit of a roll and at 5 - 3 behind he had to take his chances.

From 3-1 down to Murphy at the midsession interval, Gilbert takes it to a deciding frame.

Trump on form surprisingly misses to let Higgins in for a century to peg it back to 3 - 2.

Level now but Trump in first in the seventh frame

• Advertisement

Higgins's long game not good enough. Never fancied him for that long pot which he missed by quite a bit. Trump one from victory.

Match has gone scrappy but Trump still hot favourite.

Yeah scrappy alright. Trump pulled off 3 amazing reds though most players wouldn't dream of going for.

edit: and that's it 6 - 3 Trump.

And Trump goes through 6-3.

That red near middle pocket cushion that he clipped into top pocket at speed was insane. Never seen a player as good at that type of shot, not just the pot but the control he gets on cue ball with it.

One of those all too rare days Maguire actually lives up to his nickname. Giving selby a going over early days here.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

One of those all too rare days Maguire actually lives up to his nickname. Giving selby a going over early days here.

He’s an enigma is Maguire. You just don’t know what your going to get with him !

FR01 wrote: »
    He’s an enigma is Maguire. You just don’t know what your going to get with him !

Yeah, i dont think it was ever a question of ability with him. Could have been a top 3/4 player easily with requisite temperament. Maybe it'll click for him into his 40s, as he mellows a bit - at least in theory! I like him anyway, some dont, so wouldn't mind seeing it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Yeah, i dont think it was ever a question of ability with him. Could have been a top 3/4 player easily with requisite temperament. Maybe it'll click for him into his 40s, as he mellows a bit - at least in theory! I like him anyway, some dont, so wouldn't mind seeing it happen.

Agree , but I like his game and that’s about it, he’s not a very endearing chap.

• Advertisement

FR01 wrote: »
    Agree , but I like his game and that’s about it, he’s not a very endearing chap.

He seems fine to me, but i obviously dont know him personally.

I wonder if its coincidence that his new practice arrangement with higgins and mcgill has yielded some decent results this season. Bodes well for future if its not. No way a guy of his stature should have to be ever qualifying for the crucible.

Advertisement