Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Masters 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Fella in front row with the binoculars! Not something you see every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Have been to the Masters twice in last three years and enjoyed it both times. Great venue in one of the worlds iconic cities. Not great for food, though with a hot dog van on the premises offering overpriced dogs and not much else. Heard there's a new restaraunt this year and if so that is badly needed. Will make a habit of going over every couple of years now as it's a nice holiday in an otherwise bleak month.

On this years line up it's a shame O Sullivan isn't there. Bit surreal seeing him in the Eurosport studio yesterday when he should have been playing. Especially with his record of 7 wins in 13 or 14 finals. I've long gone second guessing Ronnie at this stage, though.

Trump is the man to beat although he has a tricky opener v Murphy. Win that and i fancy Judd to go on and do it.

I give Mark Allen a good chance, also. As we know anything can happen but Trump and Allen my two picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

On this years line up it's a shame O Sullivan isn't there. Bit surreal seeing him in the Eurosport studio yesterday when he should have been playing. Especially with his record of 7 wins in 13 or 14 finals. I've long gone second guessing Ronnie at this stage, though.

Its a real shame and cheapens the competition. He only lives 10 miles up the road. An odd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

On this years line up it's a shame O Sullivan isn't there. Bit surreal seeing him in the Eurosport studio yesterday when he should have been playing.

He's not playing but he is commentating for Eurosport?! That is weird.

• Advertisement

If that "what happened next" segment on question of sport is still going, they've got a real zinger for the archives.

https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/1216752215957954562?s=20

Robbos face sums it up perfectly. Try that a million times, literally one million times, and you'll never replicate that.

You spend a lifetime watching snooker and think there's nothing new you can see and then you witness that.

Can maguire make a match of this?

You spend a lifetime watching snooker and think there's nothing new you can see and then you witness that.

Can maguire make a match of this?

Yep!

Good stuff. But robertson should have nailed this already, had enough chances.

• Advertisement

What a chance for maguire.

Not sure how but maguire wins it. Incredible comeback, fair play to him. Robbo will be sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭waynescales1

How has Robertson lost it, great effort by Maguire though. Superb green in the last frame.

The Pistol has left his bullets back in Belfast.

Black off the spot missed.

Another player way below their best in this tournament.

So much for my Masters prediction. Mark Allen looking like he's playing with a hurley he's so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The Maguire shot was extraordinary, but if you hang around snooker clubs forever you'd see something similar eventually. When I saw the replay and the fuss on commentary I thought surely Steve Davis has played or seen a shot like that in the last 40 odd years. Alex and Jimmy used to be up to all sorts of craic.

He has some cue power Maguire as it didn't even look like he was going for or needed to apply exceptional power but he delivered some amount of force there to get that bounce back and resulting top spin

To be honest i didn't think it was that extraordinary. I hung around snooker halls for donkeys years and nothing surprises me on a snooker table. Nothing. Not even that. And Ronnie was correct in saying Maguire had no need to be hitting that red with such force.

Maguire had given up then. He played a few reckless shots around that time in the match. The most remarkable thing is that he went on to win having thrown the towel in.

The Gilbert era has begun.

• Advertisement

Allen had a chance there and blew it. Still a long way back from 2-5 so probably of little consequence anyway. Wasnt at the races at all tonight.

Seems like a really nice lad does Gilbert. He's sent Mark Allens barmy army home with nowt to cheer for. A lot of sad looking blokes in Northern Ireland football jerseys. Fair play Gilbert��

6-1, 96% pot success. Decent Masters debut.

Four matches so far, four favourites beaten. Surely judd will buck that trend tomorrow, though really hope murphy gives him a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

As good a display from Gilbert as I've seen in a while, seems to have been around a long time without doing a lot, still no11 in the world is a bit of a surprise to me

Gilbert, as well as being a pretty sound bloke, has a lovely playing style, good cueist, nice rhythm and doesn't get too bogged down in slow play. I think he will become a bit of a crowd favourite if he isn't already one.

Always been a bit sceptical of the steve feeney sightright thing but gilbert gave him a lot of credit in his interview earlier today. Similar story to bingham i suppose, ability always there but how to unlock the extra 5% to make them contenders just took them a bit longer than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

Allen was pretty dire today. I really doubt he has the temperament to stay at the top of snooker for much longer, for all his talent.

Lets take nothing away from Gilbert though, he was potting everything and he could have won 6-0.

It's not been good for the favourites so far, surely Ronnie must be kicking himself he's not in this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Trump and Murphy at 1-1. Both players hitting the ball well. You'd have to give the edge to Trump, but this could be a good battle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

weemcd wrote: »
    Allen was pretty dire today. I really doubt he has the temperament to stay at the top of snooker for much longer, for all his talent.

Allen was way off form last night, but I also think he really needs to lose some weight. He was heaving himself up on the table, trying to reach shots a slimmer man could have got with no problem. I think it's really limiting him as a player.

Advertisement