Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Final Furlong Podcast

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Was only a matter of time really. That Kennedy lad is a painful listen seems to think that people want to listen to him recommending some ****e movies and other nonsense on a racing podcast.

Gave up listening a year or more ago. Blake was what kept me there that long tbh so certainly won't be tuning back in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

maximo31 wrote: »
    See Kevin Blake has announced he is leaving the Final Furlong Podcast. Decent tipper of a horse to be fair. Had a feeling this was going to happen.....

He was the star quality for sure. Pity. Maybe they will unearth a few more good people who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

BumperD wrote: »
    He was the star quality for sure. Pity. Maybe they will unearth a few more good people who knows

From what i gather Blake will keep doing the Betfair podcast.
    A few on the Twitter calling for a lad called Rory Fitzgerald to be given a go. In fairness he is very good at picking them out......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

maximo31 wrote: »
    From what i gather Blake will keep doing the Betfair podcast.
    A few on the Twitter calling for a lad called Rory Fitzgerald to be given a go. In fairness he is very good at picking them out......

Hi Rory! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Slattsy wrote: »
    Hi Rory! :D

If i could only pick them like he can.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Was there ever a reason given for Hayes leaving?
    As for Blake I'm guessing he's just cutting the ties as he's beginning to be taken seriously now as one of the top racing journalists about and Ffp is regressing.
    Could be gone by next year unless they unearth someone new, I used to listen to every pod as soon as they were posted. Don't think I listened to a single one for Xmas this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Would listen to quite a bit of FFP

Disagree its digressing, think its quite good, Emmet can be annoying but its still a good listen.
    Vanessa Ryle and Rory Delargy are always a good listen
    Lewis Tomlinson was on once and was decent, has his own podcast now with a lad called James Watson which is a good listen and is only an hour long
    The fella I would look for is Stuart "Jimbo" Jones. Man is a serious tipster and writes a very good column

EK tweets seem to back up Blakes assertion that there is no fall out behind this, but you would still have to wonder .......Seemed to come out of nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Morgans

Kennedy, unfortunately for him, is toxic. I'm sure he has been told but he cant stop himself. The image that pops into my mind is just how disgusted Geraghty was throughout the Cheltenham Preview night. Always made me a little sick when Kennedy was slagging off Colin Tizzard's West Country accent on the podcast. Well and good when you are a 2 bob podcast but being on ITV and having a growing profile, you need to stop that juvenile nonsense. He had a real chance of fooling everyone into a position people would give a limb to get a sniff of. He just couldn't stop himself. Kevin too clever to have any fall out and clever enough to slowly step back (never on whenever I ended up listening to it recently) and to go another way.

Morgans wrote: »
    Kennedy, unfortunately for him, is toxic. I'm sure he has been told but he cant stop himself. The image that pops into my mind is just how disgusted Geraghty was throughout the Cheltenham Preview night. Always made me a little sick when Kennedy was slagging off Colin Tizzard's West Country accent on the podcast. Well and good when you are a 2 bob podcast but being on ITV and having a growing profile, you need to stop that juvenile nonsense. He had a real chance of fooling everyone into a position people would give a limb to get a sniff of. He just couldn't stop himself. Kevin too clever to have any fall out and clever enough to slowly step back (never on whenever I ended up listening to it recently) and to go another way.

Fair points but...people are underestimating the popularity of the FFP
    Its one the biggest sports podcasts on Soundcloud
    its genuinely a huge success

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

What was this, out of interest?

• Advertisement

Last years Final Furlong Chelt Preview - Sean Boyce, Tony Keenan, Barry Geraghty, Kevin Blake and Kennedy Chairing - I think. Geraghty looked like he would have preferred to be anywhere else rather than answering Kennedy's questions. He could have been having a bad day. While Kennedy couldn't not do the Tizzard impression - its not a good look for Blake to be laughing along with that nonsense.

Last years Final Furlong Chelt Preview - Sean Boyce, Tony Keenan, Barry Geraghty, Kevin Blake and Kennedy Chairing - I think. Geraghty looked like he would have preferred to be anywhere else rather than answering Kennedy's questions. He could have been having a bad day. While Kennedy couldn't not do the Tizzard impression - its not a good look for Blake to be laughing along with that nonsense.

I think you are mixing 2 years up there Morgans?
    The Tizzard thing was 2 or 3 years ago now, and Blake was to the forefront of it..Armadillo......
    Geraghty was on last years one but it was Matt Chapman he was getting awkward with, not Kennedy
    Chapman was trying way too hard.
    I like Chapman but he can be OTT at times, and was that night and Barry looked ready to leave a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I always listen , I don’t mind Kennedy most of the time , but his repeating his guests point immediately after hearing it ( and kind of claiming it as his own ) is getting old now.

Blake is a different league and it will go downhill fast without him.

I think you are mixing 2 years up there Morgans?
    The Tizzard thing was 2 or 3 years ago now, and Blake was to the forefront of it..Armadillo......
    Geraghty was on last years one but it was Matt Chapman he was getting awkward with, not Kennedy
    Chapman was trying way too hard.
    I like Chapman but he can be OTT at times, and was that night and Barry looked ready to leave a few times

I might be but Chapman was a guest with Kennedy presenting (I think) last year.

I might be but Chapman was a guest with Kennedy presenting (I think) last year.

Yep but the Tizzard baiting was 2/3 years ago and Blake was the ring leader not EK

Geraghty was thick with Chapman not Kennedy

U may remember Codd also a few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Yep but the Tizzard baiting was 2/3 years ago and Blake was the ring leader not EK

Geraghty was thick with Chapman not Kennedy

U may remember Codd also a few years back?

No I do think it was Kennedy that Geraghty was fit to strangle. Kennedy is absolute idiot and says it all about tofay’s media personalities that this fella even has a job let alone several of them.

Motivator wrote: »
    No I do think it was Kennedy that Geraghty was fit to strangle. Kennedy is absolute idiot and says it all about tofay’s media personalities that this fella even has a job let alone several of them.

Yeah. Geraghty was well pissed off before Chapman got at him. Could have been over anything but it looked to me that he spent the whole evening regretting being atr ambassador.

We all need to watch it back but I am pretty certain it was Chapman that BG got visibly annoyed at

Keenan the star of the show

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

I think Geraghty has been on that FF preview for the last two years. In 2018 it was just Kennedy annoying him with his pointless in-jokes, rather than the pincer movement of Kennedy/Chapman in 2019.

A shame to see that Kevin Blake has finished completely with the Final Furlong. It was a great listen for a while until Kennedy completely disappeared up his own backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

There might be room for a new podcast:rolleyes:. Just need to find a host not living in melbourne

• Advertisement

aidankkk wrote: »
    There might be room for a new podcast:rolleyes:. Just need to find a host not living in melbourne

Seem to recall some lad from KK doing one for the handicaps in Cheltenham last year........
    Anyone remember that????

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mickey1979

I used to listen but even with Blake it was going downhill. I have tried to listen lately but I can’t it’s brutal. The two lads Northern Racing aren’t too bad but pretty novicey, defo room for another podcast but getting the balance between racing and betting important. Too many overdo one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not sure if it's been mentioned but his new venture is with ATR

https://www.attheraces.com/blogs/the-flip-side

mickey1979 wrote: »
    I used to listen but even with Blake it was going downhill. I have tried to listen lately but I can’t it’s brutal. The two lads Northern Racing aren’t too bad but pretty novicey, defo room for another podcast but getting the balance between racing and betting important. Too many overdo one or the other.

U mean Tomlinson and Watson on Turftalk is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LostWeekend

There is a racingtv pod with Johnny Ward and Brendan Duke which isn't bad.
    The ''business of betting'' is a more general betting one with one on one interviews that has some decent episodes.
    I found the George Scott and Charlie Fellowes pod a bit of craic to listen to as well

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

There is a racingtv pod with Johnny Ward and Brendan Duke which isn't bad

I'd rather cut off my own ears and shove them up me hole than listen to those 2 tits

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

kfallon wrote: »
    I'd rather cut off my own ears and shove them up me hole than listen to those 2 tits

Would second that.

The Betfair one is ok, Gary O'Brien is always worth a listen as is Kevin Blake obviously. They do need to work on the format, as it seems rushed and there's too much of a 'review' of the previous week and they need to drop the Timeform 'dark horses' nonsense.

Anyone else following Kennedy's tweets in the last hour?!?!?!
    WTF is going on there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

We live in a world of victim tourism / manufactured self pity. Welcome to social media madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

BumperD wrote: »
    We live in a world of victim tourism / manufactured self pity. Welcome to social media madness

Cathryn Fry, has come across very poorly. Stating she was annoyed she was replaced during her maternity, and left but still proceeded to tweet out her original tweet. Toxic stuff.

Advertisement